roksan kandy . marantz 8003 or exposure 2010 with rx6s ??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

daveh75

maxflinn:jaxwired:
I maxx, haven't heard the marantz, but the Kandy K2 is a fantastic amp. Definately among the best in that price range. That's what I would get myself. Plus it has plenty of watts so future speaker choices will be wide open.

I'd also recommend you check out ebay or store exdems as you might be able to leap frog to a level beyond this by buying a slightly used amp.

cheers jaxwired , another thumbs up for the kandy , to be honest its the amp i feel has the most kudos , its what i want to get , it gets exceptional reviews , is said to pair with most kit , i just thought id see what people thought , so far nobody has given a reason not to get it , its in pole position right now ...
emotion-21.gif

Now, isn't that what you did with the NAD - Bought it purely based on reviews and forumites opinion, that didn't work out to well did it
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

true daveh
emotion-10.gif
, but you know me by now , i dont mind taking a punt
emotion-4.gif

besides , the kandy is the kuro of amps innit
emotion-5.gif
what could possibly go wrong
emotion-11.gif

SteveR750

maxflinn:SteveR750:
I can only add that the Kandy works very well with Spendors, I've not hear MA speakers with any amp so cant comment on their perceived brightness. In my opinion the Kandy sails a very neutral course, it doesn't sound as fast and lean as some amps (think Cyrus), nor as warm as some (think NAD, Arcam). It's close to the Nait, though I think it soundtsages better and has a bit more space around each instrument. Plus, if you like using the volume button, 120w comes in handy.

It's alos big improvement over the old Kandy III but you really really should listen to all of them first......where do you live?

cheers steve , waterford , ireland , demoing here is not impossible but difficult , id have to drive to dublin , 100 miles there and back , even then choice is very limited compared to the uk , im going to be buying here anyway , its in cork , can demo a little there though , but not the kandy ..it has to be ordered ..

The way things are looking I will be relocating to Dublin in the next 3 months. If I have any spare cash after buying the weekly groceries, then I will be spending the rest on Bikes and Hi Fi. The cycling part is sorted elsewhere, are there many good retailers in Dublin, and are the prices as stupidly high as foodstuffs is?

SteveR750

maxflinn:
true daveh
emotion-10.gif
emotion-4.gif

emotion-5.gif
emotion-11.gif

why don't you look for an ex demo on fleabay - I have seen several from sevenoaks going for around £600 with a full warranty.

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:maxflinn:
true daveh
emotion-10.gif
emotion-4.gif

emotion-5.gif
emotion-11.gif

why don't you look for an ex demo on fleabay - I have seen several from sevenoaks going for around £600 with a full warranty.

cheapest i can see on fleabay is £699 , thats e840 , plus delivery , if they will deliver ..

i can buy the kandy brand new here for e900 , and get a better trade in price on my marantz than id get selling somewhere ..

A

Anonymous

SteveR750:maxflinn:SteveR750:
I can only add that the Kandy works very well with Spendors, I've not hear MA speakers with any amp so cant comment on their perceived brightness. In my opinion the Kandy sails a very neutral course, it doesn't sound as fast and lean as some amps (think Cyrus), nor as warm as some (think NAD, Arcam). It's close to the Nait, though I think it soundtsages better and has a bit more space around each instrument. Plus, if you like using the volume button, 120w comes in handy.

It's alos big improvement over the old Kandy III but you really really should listen to all of them first......where do you live?

cheers steve , waterford , ireland , demoing here is not impossible but difficult , id have to drive to dublin , 100 miles there and back , even then choice is very limited compared to the uk , im going to be buying here anyway , its in cork , can demo a little there though , but not the kandy ..it has to be ordered ..

The way things are looking I will be relocating to Dublin in the next 3 months. If I have any spare cash after buying the weekly groceries, then I will be spending the rest on Bikes and Hi Fi. The cycling part is sorted elsewhere, are there many good retailers in Dublin, and are the prices as stupidly high as foodstuffs is?
theres a branch of sevenoaks in dublin , theres cloney audio , and a couple more i think , very different to the uk , much less choice , and more expensive for hifi , and most other things really ...

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
Having spent too much time, money and energy on trying to get the best possible in the recent past..I thought of giving my 2 cents on this topic.

This is my personal observation - Marantz PM gets bright with some speakers - I tried 6003 had 7003 demoed 8003.. all the same.. the detailing is better between 7003 and 8003 but the brightness is still the same. With the correct speaker matching I am sure they sound really musical. However, in your case if you find 6003 already bright with your speakers (which was the case with my CM7 too, it wont go away with an upgrade of the series but only with switching the speakers). I was very crazy about Marantz but my CM7s are too brilliant to change them!

If you intend to retain the speakers, look elsewhere (beyond Marantz). Based on the internet reading knowledge, I can't remember where but I remember reading, that the so well acclaimed Kandy has similar brightness challenges! So if I were you with out auditioning with the exact same series speakers I will not indulge in parting with money (which I did very recklessly, on hindsight, in the recent past)

PS: I went through the path of cable tweaking as well but the range of tweaking is very minimal

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
SteveR750:maxflinn:SteveR750:

Brace yourself my friend...........
emotion-3.gif

peterpan

Oct 21, 2008
Visit site
WishTree:
Having spent too much time, money and energy on trying to get the best possible in the recent past..I thought of giving my 2 cents on this topic.

This is my personal observation - Marantz PM gets bright with some speakers - I tried 6003 had 7003 demoed 8003.. all the same.. the detailing is better between 7003 and 8003 but the brightness is still the same. With the correct speaker matching I am sure they sound really musical. However, in your case if you find 6003 already bright with your speakers (which was the case with my CM7 too, it wont go away with an upgrade of the series but only with switching the speakers). I was very crazy about Marantz but my CM7s are too brilliant to change them!

If you intend to retain the speakers, look elsewhere (beyond Marantz). Based on the internet reading knowledge, I can't remember where but I remember reading, that the so well acclaimed Kandy has similar brightness challenges! So if I were you with out auditioning with the exact same series speakers I will not indulge in parting with money (which I did very recklessly, on hindsight, in the recent past)

Also the new Denon 1510?

PS: I went through the path of cable tweaking as well but the range of tweaking is very minimal

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
peterpan:

Also the new Denon 1510?

Denon's were not on the bright side as I had a younger sibling (7xx) of the older 15xx. I was content then as my budget was very small. (also not as musical as marantz in the demoes that I did then - I compromised due to the lower budget speaker amp combo then)

The new 15xx is advertised to be borrowing technology from 20xx (which seems to be the current day marketing in Hi-Fi - 8003 borrows tech from its bigger brothers etc) so might be a better match.

If I speak from the AVR experience the 2310 of Denon still does not have enough bass to stop sounding my CM7s on the edge of sounding bright - thanks to PV1's amazing fill up (I borrowed a 3310 of Denon and it is the right match for CM7 & how!)

So.. extrapolating the Denon series could be in the short list but again one should show no money with out the actual series speaker played to satisfaction with the intended amp (and vice versa). It might sound a tad harsh but was really tired with all the rush of swapping so much stuff back then.

A

Anonymous

well im going to ask the nice man from munstersounds to get in a kandy , and ill bring my speakers down to cork , they have a small demo room upstairs , its full of speakers etc , but he said he,ll clear a bit of space and i can demo away for an hour , i was going to buy the kandy , based on reviews , but ill just buy what i like the most , ill try cyrus too , cant hurt
emotion-15.gif

TRENDING THREADS