Roksan Kandy lIII Pre Out Question!

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi everyone, just a quick question that i need clearing up please.

I have just purchased a Roksan Kandy LIII Intergrated Amplifier. There are two sets of pre outs on the back of the amp and there isn't any bridging bars, the manual doesn't mention the amp has got any bridging bars so my question is, are the bridging bars missing and would it mae any difference if i connected both sets of pre outs together?

Thanks

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
The pre-outs are meant for two power amps & should be left as is if just being used as an integrated.

Connecting the two sets of pre-outs together may let the smoke out!

Gareth82 said:

I have just purchased a Roksan Kandy LIII Intergrated Amplifier. There are two sets of pre outs on the back of the amp and there isn't any bridging bars, the manual doesn't mention the amp has got any bridging bars so my question is, are the bridging bars missing and would it mae any difference if i connected both sets of pre outs together?

Thanks

Congrats, Gareth. So it is definitely the LIII then? wonderful. Should match really well with your Arcam CD72.

Sorry can't answer your question directly - never had to bridge or use power amps.

Dougal1331

Dec 30, 2007
Visit site
They are two sets of pre-outs, so you can drive two add-on power amps.

Bridging bars would only be needed if the terminals were pre-out/main-in, as seen in NAD amplifiers.

Do not connect them to anything other than a power amp!

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that Crocodile, i wasn't sure as some of the other Kandy Amps i have seen had bridging bars so wasn't sure if mine was missing.

Thanks PP. Yes it's the L.III, it is in mint condition and came with the remote (still in original packet and never used) and the instructions. What threw me was that it said K1 MKIII on the front but on the back it says Kandy L.III (plus the instructions list as that as well). I have had it going for a few hours this after noon and i must say, i am very impressed with what i've heard so far, i can seem to hear more detail in music and can hear things i never have before in certain songs, my speakers to be less bright and the bass isn't too overpowering and doesn't dominate the music. The only thing i have noticed is that i seem to need to volume turned up abit than i needed with my A65 so not sure if it because of the music or just the way the volume control behaves on the amp. I am going to enjoy it for now and sort out a streamer of some sort next, i'm not sure if my speakers are holding back the amp so i may demo some new ones in the future.

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for that Crocodile, i wasn't sure as some of the other Kandy Amps i have seen had bridging bars so wasn't sure if mine was missing.

Thanks PP. Yes it's the L.III, it is in mint condition and came with the remote (still in original packet and never used) and the instructions. What threw me was that it said K1 MKIII on the front but on the back it says Kandy L.III (plus the instructions list as that as well). I have had it going for a few hours this after noon and i must say, i am very impressed with what i've heard so far, i can seem to hear more detail in music and can hear things i never have before in certain songs, my speakers to be less bright and the bass isn't too overpowering and doesn't dominate the music. The only thing i have noticed is that i seem to need to volume turned up abit than i needed with my A65 so not sure if it because of the music or just the way the volume control behaves on the amp. I am going to enjoy it for now and sort out a streamer of some sort next, i'm not sure if my speakers are holding back the amp so i may demo some new ones in the future.

Good stuff...

The only thing I can think of given I've had the A65 for several years is the Arcam is better at lower volumes. Plus bear in mind that the Arcam has tone controls, so you can tweak poor quality recordings or tone down really bass heavy tracks, whereas the Kandy you're pretty much limited to Roksan's settings. That's something you'll adjust to over time.

In terms of out-and-out gusto the LIII is still one of my favourites below the grand mark, only slightly edged out, IMO, by the Creek Evo2.

Enjoy!

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Yeah i must say that the Arcam was very good at low volumes and the bass was abit more deeper and the tone controls did come in handy but the detail in the Roksan is very good and i think i would rather have less bass and more detail, plus i can play at abit higher volumes now without the neighbours complaining
rockout.gif

One thing though, if i was going to loo at changing speakers, which ones should i look at for synergy and would i be best going for stand mounts or floorstanders?

Gareth82 said:
Yeah i must say that the Arcam was very good at low volumes and the bass was abit more deeper and the tone controls did come in handy but the detail in the Roksan is very good and i think i would rather have less bass and more detail, plus i can play at abit higher volumes now without the neighbours complaining
rockout.gif

One thing though, if i was going to loo at changing speakers, which ones should i look at for synergy and would i be best going for stand mounts or floorstanders?

Seeing you have humungous floorstanders, I would stick with like-for-like, rather than go standmounted: Look at Kef IQ5SE or IQ9s, MA RS6*, Quad 22L...

*RS8s have better bass extension due to their size, but the RS6 are far better all-rounders (and I'm a biased old so-and-so
smiley-smile.gif
).

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Gareth82 said:

Thanks

Hi, I have the exact same amp, the connections are not bridged, there is no suggestion that there should be any bridging bars.

As for speakers I've got it hooked up to a pair of standmounted B&W 685s and am happy with the sound :)

Hope this helps.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply.

I got abit confused as i saw some pictures of other Roksan amps and they had bridging bars on the back and as i bought my amp second hand i was just checking that they wasn't needed.

How do the b&w's sound with the Roksan, have they got a good bass response and detail?

Cpt.Issues

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately I haven't heard the amp with any other speakers so its difficult to give you a proper objective answer..

However, in comparison with plugging in my Sennheisers to the amp all the bass detail certainly seems present, it sounds taught and fast though I did add a small 8" subwoofer to extend the depth and presence of the bass but this is more just personal taste rather a lack of bass response from the speakers. Being fairly large standmounters they seem to match the output of the amp pretty well, I'd say the bass response is pretty good as they are minus the sub.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that.

My Wharfedale Floorstanders are pritty huge andcan produce alot of bass but they do seem abit bass light with the Roksan, i used them with a Arcam A65 and the bass was much better but the Roksan seems to have alot more detail than the Arcam so i may change to standmount and sub set up.

Crocodile

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Gareth82 said:
My Wharfedale Floorstanders are pritty huge andcan produce alot of bass but they do seem abit bass light with the Roksan
Have you played with speaker positioning since changing the amp? Maybe moving them closer to the rear wall.

But it could also be that what you're hearing now is more accurate than the A65 & you just need some time to adjust to the new sound.

Gareth82 said:
Thanks for that.

My Wharfedale Floorstanders are pritty huge andcan produce alot of bass but they do seem abit bass light with the Roksan, i used them with a Arcam A65 and the bass was much better but the Roksan seems to have alot more detail than the Arcam so i may change to standmount and sub set up.

I think what you're hearing from the Arcam is quantity over quality. The bass on the Kandy should be better defined and more detailed. I also think the Kandy will benefit from better quality speakers too. I know from my Wharfedales they weren't letting the Leema express itself.

However, I'm still a huge fan of the A65, hence why in previous posts of yours I mentioned about power amp to the A65 - very impressive: It retains the low-level aptitude and gives it more control higher up the scale.

NB: It took me the best part of two years to decide on a new amp and after dismissing all the sub-£1,000-ers tested, I had to look at + 1k amps for full satisfaction.

Gareth82

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I have seemed to of solved the problem i was having. I hadn't had a chance to try out a CD with the amp as i needed to move some things around for the amp to fit as it is much wider and deeper than the A65 and therefore i tried out the amp with my iPod. The sound was very flat and i needed to have the volume at about 11:00 before i could hear anything, i have now got the amp in place and have got the CD72 connected now and wow, what a difference. The volume doesn't need to be that high, the bass is tight, deep and fast and most importantly the detail is there. I am still thinking that maybe the speakers are holding the amp back and if in the future funds and space allow i may look at adding a power amp and changing speakers.

For now though i am going to sit back and enjoy and rediscover my cd collection again.

Thanks again for peoples replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts