roksan kandy L111 amp/ roksan kandy mk111 cd player

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
hi there. iv just purchased the above system and its paired with the moniter audio br5s and wired with chord co carnival si plus speaker wire and a atlas equator interconnect cable but havin paid nearly 2 grand im a bit dissapointed with how it sounds.will it get beter the more i play it and wear it in? also is the speaker wire and atlas cable good enuff for the sysem. please reply thanks

A

Anonymous

hi clare. yes id say it sounds too harsh and the bass is a bit 2 mutch when the volume is up also depending on whitch cd i play the sound seems a bit muffled/unclear. i was expecting a bit more for my pennies

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
hello fowler,i know it sounds obvious but have you checked all the connections are wired up correctly also you must give it time it bed in.it is said monitor audios are harsh in some quaters and they need time to loosen up.also have you got the speakers positioned properly this can make a big difference.good luck,gregory.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
on a side note chord carnival is quite bright,i was sceptical about this until a dealer demonstrated this with different cables.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
i agree about the cables they don't make that much difference but i was suprised at the brightness of the chord cables.of the other speaker cables i listened to there was not much in it if anything but i'm not sure about the synergy of the hardware.i would have thought the roksan combo to work well together or are we talking about the speakers here.

A

Anonymous

Did you audition the kit before you bought it?, or just bought aload of 5-star kit and cobbled it together? When spending that kind of money home auditions are vital, and long term listening, take your time, listen for along time, Monitor Audio "can" sound impressive short term, but listen to then for a bit longer and fatigue can set in.

A

Anonymous

nah didnt audition them just bought on the back of reading what hi fi and them all being 5 star equipment. a stupid thing 2 do i no but i didnt think i could go wrong. anyway iv repositioned my speakers and give them bit more room (they was flat against a wall) and been playing cds pretty mutch all yesterday and today and its definatly sounding better. thanks for the replys. ps can any 1 reccomend better speaker wire than chord co silver plus?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
MAs take a good few weeks of running in, so it should sound even better soon. Repositioning them was also a grand plan - they're happier in some free space, and hopefully that tightened things up somewhat.

QED Silver Anniversary XT would be an even better cable at the same amount of money, though the Chord isn't bad - i'd give the system a bit more time before you spend any extra money.

And please audition the stuff next time - yes, they're all five-star products, but as our systems tests often show, that doesn't guarantee a five-star system (or indeed the best sound for your tastes/room).

Anyhow, here's to your listening getting better by the day...

A

Anonymous

It's not always possible to audition equipment the way you would like. For example I'm currently trying to chose between the B&W602 s3's and the 685's, but the store won't let me take either home on approval to test with my gear, and won't let me bring my amp and cdp into the shop because it would "disrupt business". (and they are the only shop that stocks B&W in my city)

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Have you let B&W know this? Think they could be interested....

It amazes me the barriers some businesses put up that could stop them selling something!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Horses for courses and all that in mind....I know many people that love the Kandy. As for me after heard the awesome Caspian, the Kandy was just not full body enough. FWIW B&W speakers I heard were all good and few great ones....demand that DEMO!

A

Anonymous

Anyone have an opinion on the 602 vs 685? Having played some cd's through the av amp and the dvd player they were hooked up to (yep, not so good) it seemed like the 685's sound cleaner, had more treble, but the 602s had more bass depth and solidity. Problem is the 602's were run in, while the 685's weren't and sounded a little boxed and brittle as a result.. The room is 4x4. Equipment is arcam alpha 9 amp and alpha 8SE cdp. And um, cables, would QED be good?

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Captain Destructo"]It's not always possible to audition equipment the way you would like. For example I'm currently trying to chose between the B&W602 s3's and the 685's, but the store won't let me take either home on approval to test with my gear, and won't let me bring my amp and cdp into the shop because it would "disrupt business". (and they are the only shop that stocks B&W in my city)[/quote]

That's terrible, a shop offers a service to it's clients, that shop is offering you no service apart from taking your money, take your business elsewhere.

The B&W 602S3 are very good speakers,I don't know the latest versions.

A

Anonymous

HI Fowler,

How is your system behaving now? I just invested in MA BR5's and currently I am playing them with an old Onkyo TX 8211. Now I am looking at teaming it with Roksan Kandy LIII Mk III after reading reviews on WHat Hi Fi.

I live in New Delhi India so I cant audition Roksan (Was thinking of picking it up from Singapore next month). Wanted your suggestion if this combo works? Otherwise any idea what else might work? If not Roksan then I was thinking of Cambridge Audio 640 A (V2) or Marantz PM 7001.

I listen to a lot of classic rock, Guitar Blues, soft rock, jazz, blues and like my music smooth.

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

You could connect your speakers up out of phase and leave them running during the day or at night.That would fully run tthem in in a few days.

I heard a roksan Kandy amp recently and can't understand what all the fuss is about. It was good but not spectacular and it seemed overpriced from what i heard. I would listen to cambridge audio. Its about half the price but gives you a lot more than just half the performance. spycatcher, if you like your music smooth don't get a kandy. Smooth it most definitely is not.

just out of curiosity, there are lots of people on this forum wanting to buy the monitor audio BR5's.Great sounding speakers that they are, they are out performed by the silver 5 floorstanders which only cost £50 more. If anyone is thinking of buying the bronze 5's you should demo the silver 5's too. i know they havent been reviewed in what hi fi? yet but they are a must audition if you are thinking of getting BR5's.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your reply Fraziel. I had auditioned the RS 6's and I really liked them but they were at double the cost of the BR5 in India. (Almost at 650 Pounds compared to BR5 which were at 380 Pounds. I was just keen on the Kandy as it got rave reviews on WHAT Hi-Fi.

What is your opinion on CA 640A V 2 and Marantz PM 7001? ANother option here is to go for CA 340 R - a basic 5.1 receiver and the dealer here is ready to give me for approx 250 Pounds... look forward to your suggestion. PS: I dont have an option of auditoning the amps here.

Thanks

A

Anonymous

hi spycatcher. im very happy with my system. the kandy amp and br5s work a treat together. its a fantastic amp. what hi fi wouldnt award it product of the year two years running for nothing. i would defiantly reccomend it to go with the br5s

A

Anonymous

Thanks Fowler - just a small check - can you Bi-Wire you BR5 through the Kandy?

A

Anonymous

Hi, my wife & I trialled 3 CD players yesterday at Superfi in Camden - Advance Audio MCD 203, Arcam CD73 and Roksan Kandy CD Mk3. The Kandy was the best - nice detail across the full range, tight & weighty bass, good vocals, smooth treble. I recommend anyone interested in a new CD go and audition one, and several other players to get a comparison. Staff at Superfi were very busy, but friendly and willing to help, and they let us use their demo room with minimal interference - not bad for London!

Also hoping to hear ex dem Unison Research Unico CDP which is heavily discounted. I've heard its more expensive brother the Unico CD, and it gives beautiful sounds. Admittedly the rest of that system was absolutely incredible.

We're looking to find a new CD player to go with Audiolab 8000S amp and Polk Audio RT600 2 way floorstanders in a smallish room 13ft by 17ft. Existing player is Denon DCD435, played through an Audio Alchemy DAC via an optical link.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Thaiman"]Kandy + Monitor audio products = Bright! In fact Kandy + ............= bright!. May be it just my ears though :)[/quote]

Exactly right. I auditioned the Kandy CDP and amp with MA speakers and found it incredibly bright. The solution for me at the time was the Rotel RA-03 amp, a vast improvement.

Perhaps it's not too late to send the speakers back and audition some KEFs on sale at Sevenoaks. The iQ5SE or iQ7SE would probably suit it more than MAs.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="silly"][quote user="Captain Destructo"]It's not always possible to audition equipment the way you would like. For example I'm currently trying to chose between the B&W602 s3's and the 685's, but the store won't let me take either home on approval to test with my gear, and won't let me bring my amp and cdp into the shop because it would "disrupt business". (and they are the only shop that stocks B&W in my city)[/quote] That's terrible, a shop offers a service to it's clients, that shop is offering you no service apart from taking your money, take your business elsewhere. The B&W 602S3 are very good speakers,I don't know the latest versions.[/quote]

Although I agree with what you have said I am sure there are a lot of people who find themselves in this situation. When you are stuck with one hifi shop in your area what are you supposed to do?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts