Roksan Kandy K2 vs. Rotel RA-1520

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

I've finally decided to upgrade from my Denon AVR-1906 to a stereo amp to run my B&W 684s. Yesterday I went into SuperFi and listened to both the Roksan Kandy K2 and the Rotel RA-1520. I was fully expecting the Roksan to be the better amp but was surprised at how badly it controlled the low range bass notes (please excuse me if I use the wrong terminology, still new to all this).

Basically, it sounded like there was definitely a bass instrument there but it was sort of inconsequential and just happened to be there, the best way I could describe it was "flabby". The bass on the Rotel on the other hand was really tight and felt cleaner and punchier.

On the other hand the mid and high notes on the Roksan stood out quite a bit more than the Rotel. The Rotel was great but I felt the Roksan was slightly better, crisper on the mids and highs. Particularly noticed it when listening to Santana - Black magic woman (Abraxas) and there's a bit of keyboard about 1:10 in. I didn't even notice it on the Rotel initially but when I listened to it on the Roksan it stood out so much I can hear it every time I listen to the song now.

It must be said that the room I was testing in didn't help at all and added a lot more bass than I would expect from the B&W684s anyway so I don't think it was a fair test, hence this post. I've placed my order for the Rotel but now I'm worried that I dismissed the Roksan too quickly. Would it be better in my room, was the "flabby" bass purely because of their room? Should I give it another go before taking delivery of the Rotel?

I kept asking for a home demo but wasn't possible so I've made my decision based on their room/setup rather than my own.

Thoughts, comments, HELP! Please.

Karl

matthewpiano

I think you have probably chosen the right amp for your speakers. Rotel and B&W have long enjoyed good synergy and I would be a little concerned about the bass end of operations in a K2/B&W combination. Ultimately both are excellent amps but hi-fi is always about getting the right combination of components and I think you will achieve that by combining the Rotel with your speakers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks MP. That's exactly what the sales guy guy said but I always take sales pitches with a pinch of salt. ;)

As I've also bought the Audiolabs MDAC with Chord Chameleon Plus interconnects I'm forking out quite a bundle and wanted to be sure I'm choosing the right amp.

Should I be worried about the massive difference in wattage between the two? I like to have the system LOUD for quite a few hours when we have a party and need to be sure the lower wattage on the Rotel won't be an issue.

Yes Rotel and B&W is a fantastic combination, mainly due to the fact they share the same building and fascilities.

I would also say that once amp and speakers have been given a good run in, approx 2 weeks (played approx 2-3 hours a day) it should sound sweet.

As regards wattage you should be fine. If the sound starts to 'clip' or distort then you could cause damage if played for long periods.

karl.hey said:
Thanks MP. That's exactly what the sales guy guy said but I always take sales pitches with a pinch of salt. ;)

As I've also bought the Audiolabs MDAC with Chord Chameleon Plus interconnects I'm forking out quite a bundle and wanted to be sure I'm choosing the right amp.

Should I be worried about the massive difference in wattage between the two? I like to have the system LOUD for quite a few hours when we have a party and need to be sure the lower wattage on the Rotel won't be an issue.

Hi karl.hey

If you're only using digital sources then i'll recommend that you should also look at utilising the pre section of the M-DAC and then driving the M-DAC with Audiolab's own 8200P power amplifier. The 8200P has greater quantity and importantly quality of power to drive, grip and is also likely to maintain better stability at almost any comparable listening level with the 684's :)

The synergy between the MDAC and the 8200P is superb :rockout:

http://www.audiolab.co.uk/ProductDetail.aspx?lang=En&Tab2=8200P

Btw, what speaker cables will you be using?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thansk MC. When I realised that the MDAC was also a pre I started looking into it a bit thinking that maybe I should just get a power amp. I read a few reviews and while they were all very complementary about the DAC part of the MDAC none of them were particularly complementary about the pre bit. Does this change when matched with the 8200p?

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering how much better adding a power amplifier to the MDAC makes in comparison to purchasing an integrated amp for the same price (doesnt have to be new).

Im considering this too..but with audiolabs 8200CD.
I currently have a cyrus 8 amp, and am wondering if this route provides improvements in sonics.
I will be mainly listening to classical orchestral and chillout electronica.

How about another power amplifer with this CD/DAC.

Do any power amplifiers allow the use of 2 sets of speakers. Im confused!

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Rotel prices may drop with the new 12 series out now.
I hope somebody does a review on the new three models, And it isnt just a few words which attempt to get you emotional.

Ive heard that the previous model of ra-1520 is the best amp rotel have made in last several years.

I wonder what changes the new series will have - only in terms of sound only, of course!

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Interesting

Just shows how different we all are I listened to the same 2amps with my 685s and purchased the Roksan K2. Now got it paired with my rega dac and it sounds sweet to my ears. Warm, clear well controlled and fast.

This is why we audition the kit to get what is right for us as individuals.

Lee

A

Anonymous

Don't say that Lee! I'm confused enough as it is...lol.

What did you make of the Rotel when you auditioned it?

Leehallam said:
Interesting

Just shows how different we all are I listened to the same 2amps with my 685s and purchased the Roksan K2. Now got it paired with my rega dac and it sounds sweet to my ears. Warm, clear well controlled and fast.

This is why we audition the kit to get what is right for us as individuals.

Lee

There's nothing wrong with a Roksan/B&W combo. It'll do most things really well and some... but if it were my money it'll be the Rotel/B&W. Narrow margins.

A

Anonymous

Thanks PP, I think I should just go with my first choice and stick with the Rotel.

Leehallam

Aug 28, 2011
Visit site
Don't hear me wrong I thought they were both good. When I listened to them both with a audiolab 8200 cd player I would have chosen the rotel, it sounded nice, natural, musical with good base control. The kandy with the audiolab sounded clinical and too analytical. With the rega it was a different story kandy sounded warm good control great presence with lots of grunt. The rotel still sounded good with the rega dac but the kandy was the one for me. Trust your ears we are all differance and listen to different styles of music.

Strangly the audio lab Mdac sounds great with my Caspian m2 better than the rega but with the Kandy the rega sounds far better very strange when there both Roksan. Or well that is why we listen before we buy and trust our ears.

Lee

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone - Rotel RA1520 it is
smiley-cool.gif

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
It may have been worth trying to get a home demo with the K2.

The speaker choice may be a good one with this amp - I own an RA-1520 and would discribe it as you have (I'd discribe my speakers as neutral and as I've come to realise quite demanding.)

interconnect choice could make all the difference though.

never got a home demo with the K2 - never liked its visual design, lack of tone control and single speaker terminals, although in the demo it did have weight and presented a sound you could feel as well as projecting voices and instruments much further out into the room than the Rotel did.

The 684's have a high sensitivity and are tailored towards bass so this probably will suit the rotel more so than the K2.

Let me know how you get on when all is set up.

BTW... Edited by Mods - No trading on the forums please. It is against house rules.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Thomson. I'm hoping to take delivery in the next few days so I'll let you know how it goes.

The setup will be:

iTunes/Spotify wirelessly streamed -> AppleTV 2 with optical audio out -> Audiolabs MDAC with Chord Chameleon Plus -> Rotel RA1502 with Chord Rumour speaker cables -> B&W 684

Why have you decided to sell your Rotel amp?

pkerai said:
Rotel prices may drop with the new 12 series out now. I hope somebody does a review on the new three models, And it isnt just a few words which attempt to get you emotional. Ive heard that the previous model of ra-1520 is the best amp rotel have made in last several years. I wonder what changes the new series will have - only in terms of sound only, of course!

Hi pkerai

Yes, i feel the RA-1520's predecessor the RA-1062 is the finest overall amplifier which Rotel have produced in the last ten years :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

jalaba

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
same audition i did with a monitor audio br5 speakers.

I chose the k2.

Even if i go to the same process my choice would be the same. exceptional amplifier.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Sorry mods....eh...em.

Anyway, my speakers are too demanding and require more current than the RA-1520 can deliver (200w into 6ohm 87db) my old amp/reciever drives them alot better than the amps I auditioned at home - held on to the RA -1520 it sounded potentially great straight out the box, hoping it'd "break in", by the time it became clear it would'nt it was too late to return it.

it is a decent amp but carefull speaker matching is required, a speaker with high sensitivity leaning more towards warm/bass I believe is what it requires and for me it became clear the grass was not greener... ;)

karl.hey said:
Thansk MC. When I realised that the MDAC was also a pre I started looking into it a bit thinking that maybe I should just get a power amp. I read a few reviews and while they were all very complementary about the DAC part of the MDAC none of them were particularly complementary about the pre bit. Does this change when matched with the 8200p?

Hi karl.hey

Your welcome.

Amongst the components which i've used to assess the quality of the M-DAC are ATC's SCM100ASL Professional monitors and C6 - SCM0.1/15 sub woofer. If there was a big gulf between the quality of the M-DAC's pre amplication and the rest of the design then the ATC's would have revealed the extent. Fortunately this is not the case and although the M-DAC does not incorporate the greatest pre amplifier ever however in the context of M-DAC's cost i think the performance level is good enough to nicely support the rest of the M-DAC's design.

Fwiw, if possible try the M-DAC/8200P combination with the 684's. You just might end up liking it :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Thompsonuxb said:
It may have been worth trying to get a home demo with the K2.

The speaker choice may be a good one with this amp - I own an RA-1520 and would discribe it as you have (I'd discribe my speakers as neutral and as I've come to realise quite demanding.)

interconnect choice could make all the difference though.

never got a home demo with the K2 - never liked its visual design, lack of tone control and single speaker terminals, although in the demo it did have weight and presented a sound you could feel as well as projecting voices and instruments much further out into the room than the Rotel did.

The 684's have a high sensitivity and are tailored towards bass so this probably will suit the rotel more so than the K2.

Let me know how you get on when all is set up.

BTW... Edited by Mods - No trading on the forums please. It is against house rules.

I've finally got it all setup! AppleTV2 -> Audiolabs M-DAC -> Rotal RA-1520 -> B&W684

So far I'm loving it but need to double check I've got my DAC properly setup. I didn't realise there was so much config possible!

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I love Rotel amps, really regret selling my RA971 mk2, what a fantastic amp that was coupled with my cd63lkisig and m71s, regrettably soldi it all years ago think my Imac and jbl creatures woud be just as good!

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Hey

jist wondering how your getting on with your rotel and 684?

im looking to upgrade my amp and I haven't heard any auditions yet but thinking rotel 1520,K2 or Cyrus 6a.

Its been 18 months and wondering if it still sounds good??

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts