Roksan Kandy K2 Repair!

Dom

Went to Richer Sounds to get my Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier repaired, where it will be sent off and should be back with me in 2 weeks. In the mean time they lent me an Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 amp.

It has the great stereo width and timbre especially good around the mid range, but it's mixed and mushy musically, the treble is thin and sharp, the bass untextured and quiet.

I wanted more from a well regarded £180 amp.

My K2 has a buzzy crackly CD input. Its £40 for Richer Sounds take to it on and the AM10 has a £100 deposit on it.

I also bought eight rather nice Cambridge Audio 4mm gold plated banana plugs. Strangely, they don't fit in the AM10. *lol*

DomCheetham said:
Went to Richer Sounds to get my Roksan Kandy K2 amplifier repaired, where it will be sent off and should be back with me in 2 weeks. In the mean time they lent me an Cambridge Audio Topaz AM10 amp.

It has the great stereo width and timbre especially good around the mid range, but it's mixed and mushy musically, the treble is thin and sharp, the bass untextured and quiet.

My K2 has a buzzy crackly CD input. Its £40 for Richer Sounds take to it on and the AM10 has a £100 deposit on it.

I also bought eight rather nice Cambridge Audio 4mm gold plated banana plugs. Strangely, they don't fit in the AM10. *lol*

What are you saying? The Kandy is in for repair but the Topaz is what by comparison?

Dom

Back to the Logitech G933 head set...

I don't think Logitech have a musical ear between them. Because the 933's are a bit wierd.

Tonally their unbalanced, slightly too much treble, slightly not enough bass all too thin. Not too musical either.

Good enough detail though. My god Logitech you could have done so much better.

sad-face.gif

Dom

plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:

What are you saying? The Kandy is in for repair but the Topaz is what by comparison?

What I'm saying is that the Topaz is a waste of £180.

DomCheetham said:
plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:

Presumably this is only a stop-gap until the Kandy is repaired?

There's been countless posts on the Topaz - they are the runt of the Cambridge littler.

Dom

plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:
plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:

There's been countless posts on the Topaz - they are the runt of the Cambridge littler.

Correct, they lent it to me.

By 'Runt' you mean bad? If so, then yes I agree. Wish they had could have given me a choice. I saw some lovely £1000 Musical Fidelity amp's.

The guy at the Brighton store was praising the Chord Mojo. A good deal at £400.

Dom

DomCheetham said:
Back to the Logitech G933 head set...

I don't think Logitech have a musical ear between them. Because the 933's are a bit wierd.

Tonally their unbalanced, slightly too much treble, slightly not enough bass all too thin. Not too musical either.

Good enough detail though. My god Logitech you could have done so much better.

I changed the JRiver settings to WASAPI and the buffer to 25 milliseconds, making the 933's easier on the ear.

DomCheetham said:
plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:
plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:

By 'Runt' you mean bad? If so, then yes I agree. Wish they had could have given me a choice. I saw some lovely £1000 Musical Fidelity amp's.

It's unlikely any company would lend you (or anyone) a £1000 amplifier. This is why I keep a spare amp (Arcam Alpha 7R) just in case the Leema falls ill.

plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:
plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:
plastic penguin said:
DomCheetham said:

It's unlikely any company would lend you (or anyone) a £1000 amplifier. This is why I keep a spare amp (Arcam Alpha 7R) just in case the Leema falls ill.

The Chord Mojo is a DAC, and the next ***** is ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts