Roksan kandy K2 Pre - Power config vs Integrated

murphczx

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Hi all,

I recently bought a Roksan Kandy K2 Integrated amp and a pair of Monitor Auidio Gx200. I was happy with the config but then decided to buy a Kandy K2 Power amp to add to the config......as it seemed to be the right thing to do with a couple of hundred spare knocking about. Is it my immagination that the K2 integrated seemed to be able to drive the speakers louder than the Pre- Power pairing. It seems that if I take the integrated up to half way , I have got to rotate the volume control by another quarter to get the same audible volume when the power amp is confgured in. I dont know if this is the way it is supposed to be or whether I have some sort of a config problem. I am running Chord Rumour pairs or separately Chord Rumor bi wires.

Any advice / views would be welcomed and appreciated.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
murphczx said:
Hi all,

I recently bought a Roksan Kandy K2 Integrated amp and a pair of Monitor Auidio Gx200. I was happy with the config but then decided to buy a Kandy K2 Power amp to add to the config......as it seemed to be the right thing to do with a couple of hundred spare knocking about. Is it my immagination that the K2 integrated seemed to be able to drive the speakers louder than the Pre- Power pairing. It seems that if I take the integrated  up to half way , I have got to rotate the volume control by another quarter to get the same audible volume when the power amp is confgured in. I dont know if this is the way it is supposed to be or whether I have some sort of  a config problem. I am running Chord Rumour pairs or separately Chord Rumor bi wires.

Any advice / views would be welcomed and appreciated.

Is there a gain control at the back of power amp and also check you have connected it up correct as the gain on both amps should match

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
A quick look at the manual suggests there are 2 adjustable input trimmers at the back of the power amp somewhere that look like Philips head screws. The manual has different setting positions.

Another possibility is Roksan seem to have released a few revisions of the K2 with different power ratings. Perhaps the integrated and power amps differ slightly.

murphczx

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
I checked the manual at set up and it says that if your are connecting the power amp for multi-amping with the K2 integrated or purely as a power amp you should use the 'straight' inputs.......which I have done. It also states that that the gain on theK2 power amp is exactly the same as the gain on the power amp section of the K2 integrated amp. I hope this makes sense ....or am I picking up what you are saying wrong.

murphczx

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your rsponse. See my response to the second suggestion ......I believe that I have configured it correctly. But will check again.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Looking at the specs the input sensitivity of the K2 power amp is 900mv, almost half that of the K2 integrated input sensitivity of 470mv. This will result in a lower output at a given position on the volume dial. This would suggest there is nothing wrong with what you're experiencing. Alternative is to try the trimmed inputs and see if you prefer them. I've always found a higher input sensitivity of say 200mv or less to give a more exciting sound anyway so personally I'd experiment with the trimmed inputs. Naim amps tend to be around the 150mv mark which lends a lot to their lively presentation.

murphczx

Mar 11, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for that. Will have a go in the next couple of datys to see if that does make a difference. There is nothing 'wrong' with the sound as is ....just though that it was a bit odd that the output volume was less than previous. Very rarely listen to music loud but on the odd occasion where you might be in a differnt part of the house ....might like a little more volume!

abacus

Are you using the power amp to bi-amp the speakers, (Link on the back of the speakers should be removed) or just using the power amp as a replacement for the power amp built into the integrated amp?

abacus

murphczx said:
Have the links removed, high frequencies to the integrated and low frequencies to the power amp

If that’s the case, then providing you have connected the pre-amp terminals of the integrated to the recommended inputs of the power amp, everything should be fine, as manufactures match the gain of their products for optimum performance, (The only time you need different settings is if you use different manufactures amplifiers) so you can just sit back and enjoy the music.

Happy music listening

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts