Roksan K2 CDS Vs Marantz CD63SE

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
matthewpiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
matthewpiano said:
I will probably look out for a tidy 2nd hand Marantz SACD player over the next few weeks.

Hi Matthew

If you want to go with Marantz then try and get a hold of an SA1 SACD player otherwise I wouldn't really bother.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

What would you suggest otherwise Rick?

Regards, M.

Hi Matthew

I think what you need is a source that is also going to inject some zip, zest and energy and not one which is softy,softy in comparison which will just mean a sidewards step. Hence why an SA1 for the Marantz SACD player route. Alternatively a Teac/Esoteric DV-50 or for just a CD player then a Marantz CD17KI MK2 Signature.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
The Marantz PearlLite is excellent for classical, which is all I listen to. It has SACD playback and is very quiet and reliable. I 'downgraded' to it from Densen and although it lacks some of the detail, is a much more satisfying listen overall. Over time I have grown to appreciate it even more (2 years) as it makes all genres i.e. instrumental, chamber, orchestral and voice sound wonderful. In fact I have stopped worrying about improving on it as a source and have just enjoyed buying Cd's and listening to music. The USB facility is also good for BBC 3 Cd Review downloads.

matthewpiano

cse said:
The Marantz PearlLite is excellent for classical, which is all I listen to. It has SACD playback and is very quiet and reliable. I 'downgraded' to it from Densen and although it lacks some of the detail, is a much more satisfying listen overall. Over time I have grown to appreciate it even more (2 years) as it makes all genres i.e. instrumental, chamber, orchestral and voice sound wonderful. In fact I have stopped worrying about improving on it as a source and have just enjoyed buying Cd's and listening to music. The USB facility is also good for BBC 3 Cd Review downloads.

Hi cse. Thank you very much for your thoughtful and useful reply. I really appreciate it.

The Pearl Lite looks like a great option and I will consider it and may see if I can find one over the next few weeks. Interesting that you prefer it to the Densen you had, particularly as you listen to a lot of the same music as me.

Thanks again. :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
cse said:

Hi cse. Thank you very much for your thoughtful and useful reply. I really appreciate it.

The Pearl Lite looks like a great option and I will consider it and may see if I can find one over the next few weeks. Interesting that you prefer it to the Densen you had, particularly as you listen to a lot of the same music as me.

Thanks again. :)

If you can, listen to the SA8005 too. I'm very pleased with mine so far and it's a bit newer technolgy than the Pearl Lite.

Chris

matthewpiano

Thanks Chris. Ultimately I'd love a Pearl-Lite or an SA8005 but realistically it isn't going to happen financially.

I've been playing a wide range of music over the last couple of days and I definitely prefer the CD63SE to the Roksan, in my system and for my tastes.

I will either be seeking out a nice CD63MkII KI-Signature or considering a CD6005. At a push I might go for the Exposure 1010 CD player BUT I'm not convinced it is worth the extra over the Marantz options. The CD63SE will then replace the gradually dying NAD C521BEE in my headphone system with the MF V90HPA.

Only outside option is another DCD720AE, which I know to be a very good player and which I often used in preference over the Roksan previously.

matthewpiano

CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
The amp and speakers are set in stone, with the CD player the only thing in flux.

MP, are you still looking for a CDP?

Yes. I'm not in a mad rush because the Rotel is sounding very nice (better than the K2 ever was IMO), but given its age I am keen to find a new player that will see me through for some time. I love the Opera Consonance CD120 Linear, but it might be a bit of a stretch.

As said above, the amp and speakers are set in stone. Absolutely love them.

Any thoughts Cno?

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
The amp and speakers are set in stone, with the CD player the only thing in flux.

Yes. I'm not in a mad rush because the Rotel is sounding very nice (better than the K2 ever was IMO), but given its age I am keen to find a new player that will see me through for some time. I love the Opera Consonance CD120 Linear, but it might be a bit of a stretch.

Any thoughts Cno?

Hiya M/P.

If you're liking the Rotel, maybe check out the RCD 1520? I just bought one on spec really - took a chance. I have to say I was really pleased with it when I listened to it. I'm not nearly as proficient as some on here (yourself included) at describing what something sounds like, or whether or not one is better than another, but I found it to be very revealing and also natural sounding. Have I listened to anything else in recent times? No. Just sharing my thoughts...

matthewpiano said:
CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:

Any thoughts Cno?

Sorry for hi-jacking your question to Cno. Have you thought about Audio Analogue Crescendo CDP? I've heard the amp and it sounds pretty musical and natural, but lacked, for me, a drop of edge that I like. Whether the CDP is a carbon copy of the amp or not couldn't really say, but it may well come the closest to the Opera you've been mentioning.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have to say it..... I apologize in advance.

Change your interconnects.

In your Sig MP I note you use Chord Chamelien - if you can be bothered pls audition alternatives.

I know, I know its summer and the last thing we need is crazy talk...... but imo Chord make aggressive sounding interconnects that fatigue. (in my set anyway) over long listening periods.

It'd be worth investigating alternatives - start by reviews that suggest that a particular brand has the 'sound' you want.

I own a marantz cd63 (my first player) it saw off an arcam 73t in its time but the NAD c660 has exposed its lack of 'refinement'.

(on this occasion it may be worth taking Ricks usual advice ref 75 strand standard interconnects)

But if your system is up to it (on paper it is) it my well be worth trying other interconnects with the Roksan, it's a capable disc spinner.

It'll cost you more or Less the same as a 2nd hand player without the bulk and headaches.

matthewpiano

Freddy58 said:
matthewpiano said:
CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:

Any thoughts Cno?

Hiya M/P.

If you're liking the Rotel, maybe check out the RCD 1520? I just bought one on spec really - took a chance. I have to say I was really pleased with it when I listened to it. I'm not nearly as proficient as some on here (yourself included) at describing what something sounds like, or whether or not one is better than another, but I found it to be very revealing and also natural sounding. Have I listened to anything else in recent times? No. Just sharing my thoughts...

Your thoughts are greatly appreciated and I actually think you've made a very good suggestion that I hadn't thought of. I'm happy with the sound of the RCD965BX but it is approx 20 years old and now I'm getting more settled with my system I want to put a long-term CD player in place. A new Rotel could be a great option. I'll look into it!

matthewpiano

Thompsonuxb said:

In your Sig MP I note you use Chord Chamelien - if you can be bothered pls audition alternatives.

I know, I know its summer and the last thing we need is crazy talk...... but imo Chord make aggressive sounding interconnects that fatigue. (in my set anyway) over long listening periods.

It'd be worth investigating alternatives - start by reviews that suggest that a particular brand has the 'sound' you want.

I own a marantz cd63 (my first player) it saw off an arcam 73t in its time but the NAD c660 has exposed its lack of 'refinement'.

(on this occasion it may be worth taking Ricks usual advice ref 75 strand standard interconnects)

But if your system is up to it (on paper it is) it my well be worth trying other interconnects with the Roksan, it's a capable disc spinner.

It'll cost you more or Less the same as a 2nd hand player without the bulk and headaches.

Hi. Thanks for your thoughts.

I have to say Chord Chameleon doesn't sound at all aggressive in my system. I own several different interconnects and I really like the Chord interconnects and the Rumour 2 speaker cable.

I'm not unhappy with the sound. In fact I'm very happy with the RCD965BX, but I want to be in a position where I've not got concerns about long-term reliability due to age.

I tried the Roksan over and over again with different cables and in different systems. Whilst there were some things I liked about it, overall I thought it was over-priced and un-involving. Personally I think the Rotel is a far better player. I sold the Roksan some time ago and don't regret it.

I'm going to look at the newer Rotel players as suggested above.

Thanks again for the time taken to give your input.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Any thoughts Cno?

Yes, possibly.

Just in case you would be interested in an original Linn Karik/Numerik, that's in great condition, has a known history and with well over half its laser life left.

The reason I know so much, is that I used to own it. I traded it in a few months ago with Lyric Hifi, due to lack of use. It shouldn't be hard to buy, as it's now over 20 years old (maybe that's just too old for you?).

Back when my first child was born, I didn't want to keep the LP12 (which I sold to a friend), but the problem was that I hadn't auditioned any CDP that came close. When Linn launched this player, it was the first time I heard a sound that I was prepared to give up my TT for. As things turned out, I was so busy at work (often 7 days a week), and bringing up 4 kids, that in the end, it didn't get that much use.

I bought it new from Michael (Lyric) and it cost a bl**dy fortune; but it was one of the best CDPs around at that time. To get a very good idea about it, read this Stereophile review from that time (especially the description of the way it sounds on page 4): http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/930/index.html

It will not give you a ballsy, upfront, dramatic sound, but a refined, organic, analogue like one.....if you like the former, then it's not for you. If interested, I can give you Michael's contact details; or if you have any questions, or need any help, let me know.....FWIW. I would like to think it would end up in the home of someone who would appreciate it.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
You've already sold it?

Oh, ok then, thought it was being repaired.

I have to admit when I auditioned amps a while ago it was my player of choice over the Audiolab 8200.

Suited the music I bought with me anyway.

Ah well......

matthewpiano said:
Thompsonuxb said:

Hi.  Thanks for your thoughts.

I have to say Chord Chameleon doesn't sound at all aggressive in my system.  I own several different interconnects and I really like the Chord interconnects and the Rumour 2 speaker cable.

I'm not unhappy with the sound.  In fact I'm very happy with the RCD965BX, but I want to be in a position where I've not got concerns about long-term reliability due to age.?

I tried the Roksan over and over again with different cables and in different systems.  Whilst there were some things I liked about it, overall I thought it was over-priced and un-involving.  Personally I think the Rotel is a far better player.  I sold the Roksan some time ago and don't regret it.

I'm going to look at the newer Rotel players as suggested above.

Thanks again for the time taken to give your input.

matthewpiano

Hi. Yes, it did go back to Roksan who fitted a new display module and checked everything over before I sold it. Their service was excellent, but the player wasn't the right one for me.

Thanks again for your thought.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Also considering the RCD-12 now as it is just that bit more affordable than the 1570. Might try to hear that and a Rega Apollo-R for a start. Possibly re-visit the Exposure 1010 CD player too.

I don't know if it will be of any use to you, but Canterbury Hi-Fi usually have ex-demos for sale, indeed they currently have an RCD 12 on offer.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
Any thoughts Cno?

Yes, possibly.

Just in case you would be interested in an original Linn Karik/Numerik, that's in great condition, has a known history and with well over half its laser life left.

The reason I know so much, is that I used to own it. I traded it in a few months ago with Lyric Hifi, due to lack of use. It shouldn't be hard to buy, as it's now over 20 years old (maybe that's just too old for you?).

Back when my first child was born, I didn't want to keep the LP12 (which I sold to a friend), but the problem was that I hadn't auditioned any CDP that came close. When Linn launched this player, it was the first time I heard a sound that I was prepared to give up my TT for. As things turned out, I was so busy at work (often 7 days a week), and bringing up 4 kids, that in the end, it didn't get that much use.

I bought it new from Michael (Lyric) and it cost a bl**dy fortune; but it was one of the best CDPs around at that time. To get a very good idea about it, read this Stereophile review from that time (especially the description of the way it sounds on page 4): http://www.stereophile.com/cdplayers/930/index.html

It will not give you a ballsy, upfront, dramatic sound, but a refined, organic, analogue like one.....if you like the former, then it's not for you. If interested, I can give you Michael's contact details; or if you have any questions, or need any help, let me know.....FWIW. I would like to think it would end up in the home of someone who would appreciate it.

MP, I replied to you yesterday with the above, but I think it got lost in the traffic.

matthewpiano

CnoEvil said:
CnoEvil said:
matthewpiano said:
Any thoughts Cno?

Yes, possibly.

MP, I replied to you yesterday with the above, but I think it got lost in the traffic.

Thanks Cno, I had missed it. Sorry!

The Linn sounds interesting, but I'm wary about spending money on another older player. I'm getting close to the point where the hi-fi won't be a drain on my finances for quite some time, and getting a long-term CD player is really the last piece of the jigsaw for the time being. Otherwise, I would probably just stick with the RCD965BX as it is such a good player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts