Roksan Caspian or Vienna Acoustics Mozart Grand....

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
.... which one is the cause of brightness? I demo'd the VA speakers yesterday and the Caspian cd/amp combo were the electronics. I was in a bit of a rush and didn't bring any of my cds with me. However, Sevenoaks did have two cds I know well (Diana Krall and a Norah Jones one). I won't go into huge detail but although the sound was very real/analogue and the overall sound was expansive, it sounded a little bright too. Now is this because I'm used to my amp and it's a different sound completely, or even more worryingly, the VA speakers give that sound? I will try to take my amp to the shop but it might be difficult. Other issues I suppose are cables - they didn't look anything special. Slightly disappointed to be honest. Then again, I remember demoing my RS6s with Rotel electronics and being underwhelmed too.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750:
what are you trying to buy? apologies if I am missing summat somewhere...

Cant you take your PC and DAC?

Or are you looking for a CDP?

The VA speakers Steve. I auditioned them with Roksan electronics as the alternative offered (Cyrus 8), are not my cup of tea.

A

Anonymous

I heard some Vienna Acoustics with Naim equipment. I didn't find them too bright, in fact I thought , though good, they lacked a bit of punch, but I was at that stage looking for a new amplifier and wasn't concentrating on the speakers. On the other hand, I am someone who finds the Monitor Audio generally a difficult listen because to me they're too bright.

If you weren't convinced in the shop, my guess is that they may not be the right choice for you.

Edit: Whoops, sorry, I've been reminded it was the Haydn to which I listened, not the Mozart, so please disregard the above.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Dont own any Viennas Gerrard but ive heard pretty much the whole range with various amps etc ( not Roksan mind ). I would think about listening again with a different amp. Has your 7oaks got a Primare int or pre power in store ?. Or maybe one of those Electrocompaniet jobbies. I know what i would try em with but you wont get proper amps at seven oaks
emotion-5.gif

In a nutshell Viennas aint bright, far from it.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in the Vienna's. Secondly, I have a feeling this is the first time I've ever posted on this forum so please go easy on the new guy!

It's interesting that you say you found the sound a touch on the bright side because as a few of the other members have pointed out, the Vienna Acoustics range are often viewed as having a far from agressive or overly bright top end. In the part 9 months or so that Audyus have been distributing Vienna Acoustics I have tried them on a huge number of different electronics brands, with an equally huge number of cables, and of course the results can be very different.

One thing I have found is that positioning of Vienna speakers (especially for some reason the Mozart's) is absolutely critical. When I took a pair to Whittlebury Hall I spent several hours fine tuning and the results were vastly improved from our start point. The other thing that may be worth looking into is cabling - some things work, and some (IMHO) really don't... What were you using during the demo?

As floyd droid suggested, Primare may well float your boat - certainly worth a try. It has a quite muscular quality when paired with the Vienna's and I like the bass speed it brings to the mix.

Anyway, if you want any more info, or a few suggestions on what may work for you please feel free to get in touch. I'm here to help,

All the best,

Paul Murray

UK Sales Manager

Audyus Distribution

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
paul@audyus:
Hi,

Firstly, thanks for your interest in the Vienna's. Secondly, I have a feeling this is the first time I've ever posted on this forum so please go easy on the new guy!

It's interesting that you say you found the sound a touch on the bright side because as a few of the other members have pointed out, the Vienna Acoustics range are often viewed as having a far from agressive or overly bright top end. In the part 9 months or so that Audyus have been distributing Vienna Acoustics I have tried them on a huge number of different electronics brands, with an equally huge number of cables, and of course the results can be very different.

One thing I have found is that positioning of Vienna speakers (especially for some reason the Mozart's) is absolutely critical. When I took a pair to Whittlebury Hall I spent several hours fine tuning and the results were vastly improved from our start point. The other thing that may be worth looking into is cabling - some things work, and some (IMHO) really don't... What were you using during the demo?

As floyd droid suggested, Primare may well float your boat - certainly worth a try. It has a quite muscular quality when paired with the Vienna's and I like the bass speed it brings to the mix.

Anyway, if you want any more info, or a few suggestions on what may work for you please feel free to get in touch. I'm here to help,

All the best,

Paul Murray

UK Sales Manager

Audyus Distribution

Thanks Paul and Floyd.

I'm not planning on changing my amp - I love it. I did feel that it was the Roksan pairing to be honest. Maybe just not my thing. I got home and listened to the same tracks from Diana Krall and no brightness. Much less imagery though and no where near the soundstage that the VA's gave me. I'm probably going to take a punt and get them as I've read nothing but good things about them and as you say Paul, cabling can be important and I've got very good ones. I don't think the cables used by 7oaks were anything special.

A

Anonymous

I hope you give them a go - if so, do let me know how you get on. Cablewise the Chord Epic you have is a great partner - I tried that with some of the Heed Audio kit recently (not seen much of it about before) and it was really nice, smooth, analogue, yet detailed and crunchy when it needed to be. Have fun!

Best regards,

Paul

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin:Your amp, from every review I've read, is pretty distinct sounding. I don't think there's anything that has the presentation of the Moon. The only solution is to take it for the demo.

You are right PP, the problem is that the Epsom branch doesn't do VA speakers. I am confident that the Moon and VA Mozart will match well though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
paul@audyus:
I hope you give them a go - if so, do let me know how you get on. Cablewise the Chord Epic you have is a great partner - I tried that with some of the Heed Audio kit recently (not seen much of it about before) and it was really nice, smooth, analogue, yet detailed and crunchy when it needed to be. Have fun!

Best regards,

Paul

I will post on here my thoughts if I get them. Thanks for your input.

A

Anonymous

Good luck with it Gerrardasnails. I think life is about risk-taking. I've just set up my AVI ADM9.1T and the result is stunning. A risk worth taking but it's had me sweating a few times. Unfortunately I'm sad enough to have even woken up during the night after ordering. lol

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
good luck gerrard, hope it works out.
emotion-21.gif

igg, i'm really looking forward to your thoughts, particularly the difference the sub makes...
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I can't afford the sub until next March/April lol! Will enjoy feeding back, the 9.1 and the sub are both quite stunning.

A

Anonymous

igglebert:I can't afford the sub until next March/April lol! Will enjoy feeding back, the 9.1 and the sub are both quite stunning.cant bring yourself to change your sig iggle?
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm going through an evaluation period of both systems. I love the SA1s which is why I'm trying to be very balanced and neutral throughout this change. I need to get a life.

the_dude2

Aug 25, 2007
Visit site
SteveR750:I have an *irrational* fondness for Spendor too...I didn't even buy mine new, but somehow they have become part of my family.

Agreed. I didnt buy mine new either, but i really love what they do. Especially for how small they are, they can make such a big beautiful sound!

edit: oops this post wasnt meant to be about Spendors. Sorry Gerrardasnails

A

Anonymous

It'd be great to see some pics of those Vienna Acoustics speakers when you get them, they look quite something!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
The fit and finish of the Viennas is quite something iggy, imo one of the best out there. The piano black looks well pukka, you could have a shave using one as a mirror,well almost ,but you get my drift.

Gerrard. Before you part with your hard earned i recommend giving the Beethoven Baby Grands a dem, but as ever, try to get them for a home dem. Ok they are 800 or so dearer but a very nice sounding speaker. I ponced a pair a couple or so yrs back and ran them with a Primare Pre 30 / A32 power combo (mine at the time). Very nice effortless sound, non of this modern day in yer face mullarky that most speaker manufacturers feel the public want these days*.

* Maybe they do,but i dont thats for sure.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:
The fit and finish of the Viennas is quite something iggy, imo one of the best out there. The piano black looks well pukka, you could have a shave using one as a mirror,well almost ,but you get my drift.

Gerrard. Before you part with your hard earned i recommend giving the Beethoven Baby Grands a dem, but as ever, try to get them for a home dem. Ok they are 800 or so dearer but a very nice sounding speaker. I ponced a pair a couple or so yrs back and ran them with a Primare Pre 30 / A32 power combo (mine at the time). Very nice effortless sound, non of this modern in yer face mullarky that most speaker manufacturers feel the public want these days*.

* Maybe they do,but i dont thats for sure.

Cheers floyd. Yes, I've heard that the BBGs are another step up but I'm coming from £700 speakers so one step at a time methinks. You are right about the finish though - they look the part for sure.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:Any thoughts on what finish you are going for Gerrard ?. The rosewood is a stunner, to my eyes it is anyway.

I'm building up the courage to ask the missus which colour she would prefer in case she asks how much they cost!! I have a walnut stand from hifiracks which is a different shade to my walnut RS6s. The Cherry finish looks similar to my rack but black would go with all my equipment and any decor.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts