Roksan Caspian Mk1 upgrade

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
I'm considering upgrading my old Roksan amp. I'm looking for something with detail, good sounstage but with a warm engaging listen. I enjoy mostly classical, but also early Van Morrison in particular. Any ideas appreciated.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
£700-£800 new? will be quite difficult as the Caspian is a very good amp. Have you compare it with the newer model, M-range?

CA 840A may be? but it would be a change rather than proper upgrade I think

. Need more budget I reckon.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Some idea of kinna system you may like to demo.

Opera Audio Consonance Reference CD-2.2 MkII - Roksan Caspian Mk1 - Roksan FR5

Pathos Digit - Roksan Caspian Mk1 - Opera Seconda

A

Anonymous

imo anything in the 7-800 quid range is going to be a lateral move at best. Do you really think the Caspian's your weakest link? Most people feel it's quite a strong amplifier. Mayhaps you might want to look into biamping? Could pick up a Caspian poweramp for that easily I'd think.

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
Thanks. I'm not sure that I fully understand bi-amping. How does it work with bi-wired cables? Do you need anothe interconnect between the new power amp and the old integrated amp? Woul the old integrated amp, with a power amp, sound as good as the original pre/power amp combo?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
cse:Thaiman Thanks but i don't want large floorstanders and i already have a Densen CD player. Have you heard their amps?

I have own quite a few Densen in the past including a pair of B350. The lower range like B200/B300XS I had was tremendous value, the combo had all the timing and resolution that put many similar price amps to shame. Up the range, however it's a different story. I (and a few friends) thought my current ECS beat the top of the range Densen by some margin and Densen cost £1400 more! Too cloloured for my taste.

Digital side of thing....The 400XS cd player is go to be one of the top 5 "best CD player ever made, I reckon".

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
My old XS is a little better but I sold it for £600ish so the one on Ebay seem to have a value on it side. I am not sure how good is the pre on Roksan is though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts