Rocksan caspian m1, wasted in my current system.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Having lived with the amp for 5 day's it's clear the amp need's much better speaker's and source, ive decided to bring my marantz pm5003 out of retirement and use it with my mf v-dac and q-acoustic's 2010's with spotify premium. I am going to build a cd based system using the caspian, i will looking for a used cdp for around 400-500 pound's, i will try to find a used caspian cdp, is there anything else that would work well with it? i was thinking... arcam cd192, cyrus 8 or 8x, musical fidelity x-ray..

This going to be a little project for me, speaker suggestions also welcome, cheer's.

A

Anonymous

To match the Caspian well, the Caspian CD player ban be had for almost nothing. I watched one go on eBay last week for £202!

The best at that price to match the amp you have would be: Musical Fidelity A3.2 (the transports are more reliable than the X-Ray), Naim CD5 (plain 5, not the i or x) or the Rega Jupiter.

Ideally, the Naim CD5 with the Dynaudio DM2/6's.

You could always get an upgraded DAC (MF M1/Rega DAC) with new speakers (Dynaudio DM2/6) and use your PC as your transport, that way you gain a lot in terms of Spotify, downloaded music and can rip your CD's as .flac's and get great playback through the PC. If you do this though, consider getting a V-Link additionallly at a later stage. This means you wont have a spare CD player, Amp and pair of Speakers sitting around and I know you're a bit tight on space.

A

Anonymous

The question is, will a pc/dac, amp and speaker's ever sound as good as cd player based system? 8)

A

Anonymous

Just want to say cheer's to 'Monstrous' who has been great.

A

Anonymous

Not a problem, Jimm. Happy to help :type:.

Im sure that the M1 DAC with your PC and a V-Link, would be as good as an £850-ish player from 5-8 years ago. I certainly can't see it being worse. As long as you save the files on your PC as a lossless filetype, preferrably .wav or .flac, it should be great. I think to get a proper upgrade from that PC/DAC setup you'd need something around the MF M6CD or Naim CD5XS level. If you think of it in terms of benefits too, this way you're taking up less space in the room, Spotify sounds better, videos (if you watch any) on your computer, will sound better and you will have gained a system which can help you more appreciate how great your CD's are.

Would save you a few quid aswell, as you could sell the 2010is and the PM5003.

I think i'd definetly take the DAC/PC route, as it opens up options later for streaming to the DAC, wherever you'd like to locate it. Maybe get a demo of it first if you can though, to see if you think the cost is justified. If you dont think so, then grab a v-link and start looking for your ideal speaker!

A

Anonymous

Ive listed the pm5003 on ebay, im going to use the money to buy a mf v-link or v-psu, chance's are ill get both, not sure what order though, then add a quality pair of compact speaker's such as the dynoaudio's you mentioned, i hope that will do the trick, if not ill look at maybe the rega dac, i can use the v-link with it and sell the remaing mf kit on ebay. :beer:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts