Right Channel Stereo Sound Softer than Left, Turntable or Amp

Secondsong

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Hi, I am a new member to the forum living in Melbourne Australia, hoping to get some advice As heading into a repair shop is a bit tricky these days.

I recently noticed when playing with the balance the right channel is quieter than the left. I am not sure how long it has been going on for or if it was always like this. I recently had to get a new amp with magnetic coil to power the Rega turntable. I don’t have much experience in troubleshooting But have tried a few basic things.

I am using a Rega 25 Planar turntable, Denon PMA-757 Amp and some Interdyn Speakers 60W.

• Sound on the right channel seems very quiet compared to the left.
• I swapped over the speakers and the problem still remains on the right side so I don’t think it is a speaker / cable issue.
• Tried it with headphones and get a similar problem

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts if it is a turntable or amp issue.

Cheers
Chris

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163.7 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 12
Yes, another source would be a useful check. As the output from any cartridge is at a low level and the connections in the headsheel are somewhat delicate there could easily be something going on there. Has the turntable been unused for a period? Has the new amp ever worked properly?
Here is something you can try - Very carefully you can tweak the terminals where they attach to the cartridge - with the amplifier OFF! Fingers or tweezers, whichever is easier.

Reactions: Secondsong

Secondsong

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
I bought the amp second hand and it worked in the shop. Noting I just took it back to the guy I bought it from on the weekend and he tested it, and the turntable and said it was working when he tested it. Now I am confused maybe your suggestion wth the tweezers could work well

Secondsong

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Its a very old amp dude. might need recapping or something. try another sound source first as others have suggested

I originally bought that amp because I needed one to power the turntables Magnetic Coil. Do you have any suggestions for new or second hand amps that would work with MC?

Secondsong

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
There's no such thing as a Magnetic Coil.
What cartridge is fitted to the Rega.
It's either Moving Magnet or Moving Coil.

Thanks for the reply, I am a hi-fi novice so sorry in advance. I think it is Magnetic Coil as it is louder when on that amp setting. Attaching photos for reference. Also as it was a gift not sure what cartridge it is rocking. Any thoughts on what amp would work best for this setup?

Attachments

• MCMM.png
    MCMM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
Thanks, difficult to make out what that cartridge is. Any other markings on it. It is almost definitely a Moving Magnet type which is why it sounds louder when you switch to the Moving Coil setting on the amplifier.
We need to find out what it is exactly before recommending another amplifier as most just have a facility for a moving magnet cartridge these days.
If it is old you may be better off buying a modern moving magnet cartridge

I have found that cartridge, it's a Mark Levinson Madrigal Carnegie which is a low output moving coil.
So I was wrong......
You are going to need a separate phono preamplifier to get it to work with a modern stereo amplifier.
It is, however, quite old, probably from mid 80's, and you may be better trying to sell it and buy a modern moving magnet cartridge instead as this will give you more options at less cost.
This cartridge was made for the Levinson brand by Benz Micro of Switzerland, which is what I currently use.

Secondsong

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
Yeh it works better when pushed in almost twice as loud so assume it is MC. As a general rule, and understand you haven't been able to listen to it at the moment, would the sound benefit having a modern magnet cartridge and a new amp? Thanks for all the help and good sluthing to find the Mark Levinson Madrigal Carnegie.

Sound benefit might be debatable. If that cartridge is pretty worn you could get it re-tipped but that might cost more than it is worth.
They were not cheap when new so you might get a decent price if you sell it.
The modern cartridge / amplifier scenario was to give you more choice when it comes to replacement time.

It depends how old the cartridge is. MC cartridges do not have replaceable styli, unlike most MMs, so when it’s over, say 20 to 25 years old, the suspension may stiffen and that makes the sound deteriorate. (Imagine a car with broken springs or dampers)
MM cartridges have a higher output, so are less sensitive to noise and hum pickup. But ultimately MCs sound better with the right setup. A new MC of that standard could be £500 or more, which would point to getting a newer amp. A good MM would be, say, £150 or so.
How much you play LPs, as opposed to any other source, may help you decide on expenditure.

Longchops

Oct 15, 2020
Visit site
I originally bought that amp because I needed one to power the turntables Magnetic Coil. Do you have any suggestions for new or second hand amps that would work with MC?

Denon-PMA-757-Service-Manual - vintage hifiwww.vintageshifi.com › repertoire-pdf › pdf › telecharge

Thats the service notes for it, if you can prove its the amp that's playing up then if you take those down to the repair shop with the amp I doubt they'd quote you more than £50 to sort it out, should be good for another 38 years then (y)

Secondsong

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
It depends how old the cartridge is. MC cartridges do not have replaceable styli, unlike most MMs, so when it’s over, say 20 to 25 years old, the suspension may stiffen and that makes the sound deteriorate. (Imagine a car with broken springs or dampers)
MM cartridges have a higher output, so are less sensitive to noise and hum pickup. But ultimately MCs sound better with the right setup. A new MC of that standard could be £500 or more, which would point to getting a newer amp. A good MM would be, say, £150 or so.
How much you play LPs, as opposed to any other source, may help you decide on expenditure.

That makes sense comparing to broken springs. I am not sure if I am getting the best out of it or if it damaged maybe I need to take it to an expert. I play a lot of records it is all I do with it and sounds ok but not great. I am keen to have a good sounding setup but don't really want to spend heaps on getting it fixed. Wondering if it is damaged would I be better just getting a simpler stylus.

That makes sense comparing to broken springs. I am not sure if I am getting the best out of it or if it damaged maybe I need to take it to an expert. I play a lot of records it is all I do with it and sounds ok but not great. I am keen to have a good sounding setup but don't really want to spend heaps on getting it fixed. Wondering if it is damaged would I be better just getting a simpler stylus.
You would need to replace the whole cartridge.
The stylus on MC cartridges is not replaceable.
It could be repaired but as I said previously this would probably cost more than it's worth.

Secondsong

Oct 17, 2020
Visit site
You would need to replace the whole cartridge.
The stylus on MC cartridges is not replaceable.
It could be repaired but as I said previously this would probably cost more than it's worth.
Tried to give it a bit of a jiggle with tweezers and noticed the blue attachment came off really easy. Thought I fixed it by re-attaching it and bending it shut cause it was loose. Now there is just a large buzzing going on without playing anything I might have made it worst.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts