REW measurements - discussion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

Thanks, appreciate it. Glad I can contribute.

Still a lot of ground to cover as I've got two more reflection points. Then need to add diffusers and sort out which panels do what exactly. And sort out axial mode at 200Hz. Be happy if I manage to do it in a month weeks.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Where are you going to put diffusors - fwiw this measuring lark is a 2 man job and near impossible in a pitch black cinema room.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I have just checked and I have 2 areas in the front half that I cant treat symmetrically because one side is a door.

That measured spot on to one of my main reflection offenders. Its pretty much the same for both speakers.

Interestingly when I tried to put absoption on the side where there is wall it made my freq response much worse, it created a massive suck out. So I obviously didnt put one there. I was tempted to put a diffusor there I wonder how that would work?

I am not a fan of non symmetry

insider9

I'm sure the diffusion would work just make sure the distance from the diffuser to listening position is right. Can't remember exactly but i think it's three times the lowest frequency wavelength that is being diffused.

insider9

Massive difference. First thing you notice is the clarity. Especially vocals are as if the singer was in the room. Detail has increased overall also. It's more precise but I was hoping for bigger improvements in soundstage. It may be as it was good before.

It's not tonally accurate yet as there more to be done and I think it's overdamped as it is. But it's a great start. I'll turn some panels into bass traps and generally remove and replace a few with diffusers. Treat the floor and ceiling and it will be superb. It's a great start at a really small outlay.

By the way the treatment of floor with a rug is a no no. I've got a carpet that reflects and it would need to be really thick carpet to make a difference.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You have got a big adjustment from empty to treated - the advice is normally to give a while before you take any out. I cant stand to lose the focus when I take panels out - not even 1 of them

Sometimes you make the room better it makes you hear your kits not up to what you thought. Thats a downside of the process, I have been through that pain.

FWIW I have an McInstosh amp in atm - I am calling it the McDaddy - My Sounstage just got a whole lot better with this amp - very obvious and very impressive.

I thought it was my room acoustics not quite right - I didnt expect and improvement in this area just from an amp

You can always place a cover over the front - cardboard apparently works to create a bass trap only panel.

insider9

The new REW ver 5.19 beta 6 has been out for about a week and it's the best update since I've used this software. Especially the addition of capturing the noise floor prior to measurement is incredibly useful.

insider9

With recent interest in DIY acoustic panels for those interested have a look at how to identify first reflection points based on measurements at the beginning of this thread.

Edit
Post #11 explains how to do this.

TRENDING THREADS