Review Sony V5500?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Our old TV is about to break down, it seems, so I am looking to buy a new one. I've seen that Sony has gathered a lot of very positive reviews in the past, and the specs (and price) of the new v5500 sound very nice. And they should be in the shop here in about 2 weeks time, it seems. But before actually buying one (probably 32 or 37 inch model), I'd rather see a review of it. Any chance soon?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We've had a 40W5500 in for review- it'll be tested in our issue out first week in April. No news on V5500 models yet, but we are pursuing all the TV manufacturers for new-season sets.

matthewpiano

We've had the 32V5500 in our shop for just over a week now and we've already sold a few, despite having outgoing sets at lower prices. Its a very impressive set. We've got one above our very last 32W4000 and, to be honest, the new V is the better set. Its certainly better on freeview SD content than any of the outgoing 32" sets and the menus and general feel of the set are very nice. Our engineer also set one up in a customer's home the other day and felt that the new set was a good step forward from the outgoing range.

As long as the 37 is as impressive as the 32, my next set is going to be a 37V5500 so that I can make better use of my new blu-ray player! (my old 32S2510 can't accept and downscale a 1080P signal, never mind display it so I have to have the BDP's output set to 720P at the moment).

At this stage the best advice I can give is to pop to your local Sony Centre and take a look. Judging with your own eyes is always the best way and any SC should be able to demonstrate the set with a range of inputs - freeview, Sky HD, DVD, Blu-ray. I'd also recommend going to look at the main competition, including the Panasonic and Toshiba sets and the Pioneer 32" LCD. That way, when you finally hand over your money, you know that you've picked the set that is right for you.

A

Anonymous

ear:the 32v5500 is hd only.even so it's better than thne 32w4000?

What do you mean by HD only?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
ups sorry I was looking at the 32v4500 specs.Got confused since the old v series was only full hd from 40 inch bigger.

matthewpiano

Just to clarify, in the new range there is only the entry model 32S5500 which isn't Full HD from 32" upwards. The V5500 and W5500 are both Full HD in 32", 37", 40", 46" and 52". The major difference between the V and W models is 100Hz Motionflow, which only appears on the W, but again in all sizes from 32" upwards.

Hope this helps.

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano:We've had the 32V5500 in our shop for just over a week now and we've already sold a few, despite having outgoing sets at lower prices. Its a very impressive set. We've got one above our very last 32W4000 and, to be honest, the new V is the better set. Its certainly better on freeview SD content than any of the outgoing 32" sets and the menus and general feel of the set are very nice. Our engineer also set one up in a customer's home the other day and felt that the new set was a good step forward from the outgoing range.

As long as the 37 is as impressive as the 32, my next set is going to be a 37V5500 so that I can make better use of my new blu-ray player! (my old 32S2510 can't accept and downscale a 1080P signal, never mind display it so I have to have the BDP's output set to 720P at the moment).

At this stage the best advice I can give is to pop to your local Sony Centre and take a look. Judging with your own eyes is always the best way and any SC should be able to demonstrate the set with a range of inputs - freeview, Sky HD, DVD, Blu-ray. I'd also recommend going to look at the main competition, including the Panasonic and Toshiba sets and the Pioneer 32" LCD. That way, when you finally hand over your money, you know that you've picked the set that is right for you.
Would you say It's a lot better than the W324000? How does DVD & high def compare to the W324000?
Cheers

matthewpiano

Its not a night and day difference but its certainly better on freeview. With a HD feed its more of a level playing field.

Put it this way, if you can get a W4000 for substantially less than a V5500, and someone still has stock, go for it. But if you would have to pay about the same for both sets, I'd be looking at the V5500.

Just my own observations of course and, as I always say to customers, its your own eyes that must be the final judge.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts