Reversed polarity sounds better

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have recently installed new interconnect and speaker cables on my rather old but once recommended budget system.

Cd player: Denon DCD635

Amp: Rotel RA931

Speakers: KEF Q15s

New interconnect: Chord Chrysalis

New speaker cables: Naim NAC A5 with Chord signature links

Installed the new cables and could not believe the dramatic improvement, even my brother who has a very high end system couldn't believe my old kit could sound this good.

With the Naim cable not being too keen on bending I ordered some Ixos 204 banana plugs where the cable enters at 90 degrees.

When fitting the new plugs it suddenly became apparent that I had originally connected both speakers in reverse polarity, so I reconnected them the correct way round.

Much to my amazement the sound quality dropped, the treble is not as crisp and the bass less defined.

How can it be that speakers wired in reverse polarity sound better than when wired correctly?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I suspect it sounds different rather than actually better, but if you prefer it, stick with it. Could be something else in your system is inverting polarity without you knowing it: it's not unknown for some amps and/or CD players to do so.

A

Anonymous

i might try it , just to see , is it possible i could harm the speakers andrew ?

and , is it just a matter of putting the + where the - should be ? speaker cable to speakers .. ta..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts