DNM Speaker cable+ High Frequency Termination Network (HFTN) for speaker cables vs Chord Odyssey 2

bryanl01

Feb 8, 2010
Visit site
Hi my system is described below -

Naim Supernait, Olive 4HD, Naim power supply, PMC LB1 speakers, 2 Wireworld Stratus 5 Power (Olive & Supernait), Lindy Power block, Clearer Audio, Silver-line™ 75 Digital 1 Interconnect Cable WBT 0110 Ag nextgen RCA Plugs, DNM interconnect with HFTN circuits builts into the plugs, Chord Odyssey 2 speaker cables, Chord Indigo Jumper Cables , Audio Technica ATH W1000x headphones and Graham Slee Novo headphone amplifier.

I feel that something is missing from the sound, at low to medium volumes it lacks clarity and punch I'm also keen to try a cost effective upgrade to my system which I would hope would take it to theto the next level.

Do you think speaker cables are a good place to look to address this?

The speaker cables I'm proposing would cost £370 with HFTN at the amplifier end only

Any thoughts/suggestions would be welcomed.

Bryan

abacus

You obviously did not do a blind test before you bought your current cables, otherwise you would have found out that there is no difference in sound between the cables you purchased, and good quality standard cables. (Sorry to say you have spent your money for nothing more than a placebo improvement)

So the answer to your question is No, they won’t make the slightest difference

Hope this helps

Bill

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ask your Naim dealer for a loan pair of Naim NACA5 speaker cables (preferably with Naim's own amplifier connectors already soldered on).

Its about £15 per metre here in the UK (not sure where you are).

Naim would have developed/optimised all of their amplifier products with their own cable so it will be a useful 'benchmark'.

I have used it between a Nait 5i and Naim's own n-Sat bookshelf speakers and it sounded fine. (A bit unwieldy because it's quite stiff cable but I doubt you'll mind about that as much as I did :) )

The same goes for the interconnect between your amp and the Olive. Try finding a set of Chord Chrysalis 2 x RCA -> 5 pin DIN cables as these were the standard Naim recommendation at one time. (You can't buy them new but they often come up on ebay.)

Otherwise stick to 4mm sq, figure-of-eight/dumbell cross section, OFC multistrand copper loudspeaker cable and something like this for the RCA -> DIN interconnect or something a bit cheaper from here.

(I would still take a punt on the Chrysalis though. If you don't like it, you can easily sell it on without losing money.)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The issues that you describe suggest to me that you system is underpowered, so I would look to change the amplifier but I guess this is not what you want to hear.

martin morecroft

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
A lovely variation in the replies. If you went to the Doctor with a cold you could come out missing an arm or a leg, such is the variety of advice.

Opinions are useful, but unless the person with the opinion is sitting in you listening position with the suggested kit and your ears attached to his/her head,I cannot see how it could be at all valid - IMO :grin:

Try before you buy is the best advice I could give. The cable debate has been done to death. The only thing that is certain is there is not a definitive answer. Trust your own ears - you have to live with the result.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts