Swapping Naim 5i-2 for Home Cinema - advice needed.....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, I've got the following set up:

Naim 5i-2 Amp, Naim 5i-2 CD Player, Chord Odyssey Speaker Cable, Chord Power Cables, Chord Anthem 2 interconnect, B&W CM7's

I love the sound this system makes. However, I am becoming more and more drawn to surround sound and AV quality. I have a limited upgrade budget, so would be looking to sell some of the above components to fund a very good blu ray player, amp & additional speakers (I'll keep the CM7's).

Budget: 2k additional - What should I do? I'm thinking about selling the CD player, what would the difference in sound be for playing CD's using a v good blu ray player? What AMP would you recommend to go with the Naim 5i-2? Or would you suggest a completely new set up?? Music quality is important to me!

Thanks

A

Anonymous

Keep your system as it is! Don't get rid of your gear and swap it for AV as you will be proper let down by the stereo performance! It would be hi fi suicide IMO.

Get yourself a separate system for AV. Maybe using the amp you already have and integrate it all to cut down on extra speakers in the room. You should be able to get a decent set up for £2k.

daveh75

Totally agree with Gander,dont swap your kit for A/V,you'll be disappointed.

As suggested get a seperate system for A/V, or an A/V amp with front left+right pre-outs so it can be intergrated into your Naim set-up.

A

Anonymous

Integrating would save you some space, so you would need to add centre speaker, back speakers, subwoofer, av amp (with pre-out) and presumably a bluray player.

I'd suggest getting a CM centre to match your existing speakers - that would leave you with approx £1600 left. This is where you have to start making decisions on how to distribute the rest of the funds e.g. do you want to match the back speakers with the CM1 or go for cheaper options, similarly with the subwoofer, the BNW option would probably be ASW610 but you can certainly get a different brand. For the amp, you could look at something like the denon 2310 or yamaha rx-v1065 but you should demo to see if it matches your speakers. That still leaves the bluray player - lots of choices there too.

richutd18

Jan 20, 2010
Visit site
Agree with the guys, I've just purchased a Denon 2310, I'm actually trying to purchase your amp (second hand). Unless your prepared to look at the Arcam's AVR500/600, I would be inclined to keep your amp and use in conjunction with an AV amp for movies

ashcorn

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
I agree, if you get rid of the naim you will be sorry. Buy a seperate AV amp with pre outs to connect to the naims AV input and keep the naim for stereo duties.

TRENDING THREADS