Reports of an Oppo 103d?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
Yes, you can change the settings. According to Audioholics:

"It's a bit difficult to see on the show floor since you can dial it from 0 to 120% but it's likely, in the home, going to be set somewhere around 30 to 35%. Oppo is implementing it fully and so you'll be able to dial it up or down as desired for the effect you want. If you turn it up too much you'll start to see artifacts, but with moderate use it looks pretty awesome."

You can even switch it off completely.

Cheers. :cheers:

T

theflyingwasp

Do not bother with the oppo103 3d ,the darbee Darblet will make no diffrence to blu ray.it us purely a marketing gimmick by oppo as they will no new players to promote next year ,better to have an existing product with an upgrade than no new product at all.

Anyway has anyone got one of these darbee Darblet ,if anything it seems to make the picture in theory a little bit worse?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Do not bother with the oppo103 3d ,the darbee Darblet will make no diffrence to blu ray.it us purely a marketing gimmick by oppo as they will no new players to promote next year ,better to have an existing product with an upgrade than no new product at all.

Hardly. The 103 and 105 have been selling in huge numbers, so I don't see any need for Oppo to complicate things or try and improve sales. Their existing players will still be selling this well this time next year. I'm presuming the Darbee is a big seller over the pond (and has been a mildly good seller for many members on another forum), so maybe this model was inspired by and for the US market?

T

theflyingwasp

I don't doubt that both the oppo 103 and 105 are selling very well,everybody except from bloody what hifi gave them a glowing review.
Also oppo would not have taken the decision lightly to incorporate the darbee Darblet into their machine.
With the oppo it seems all you have to do is plug in and play.i doubt many will bother with the picture improvement controls within the oppo as most of us will only make it worse.which brings me to the point of the Darblet this is simply something else to tinker with and ultimately make the picture worse.
I don't buy the 3d effect and upscaling to 4k thing for a minute,the only possible use for this sort of thing would be for owners of large DVD collections that don't want and can't afford to upgrade to blu ray.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Do not bother with the oppo103 3d ,the darbee Darblet will make no diffrence to blu ray.it us purely a marketing gimmick by oppo as they will no new players to promote next year ,better to have an existing product with an upgrade than no new product at all. Anyway has anyone got one of these darbee Darblet ,if anything it seems to make the picture in theory a little bit worse?

I was firmly on the fence as don’t like adding in unnecessary processing either. I was actually ready to dismiss it out of hand but experience told me not to do this. It is a worthy addition to the Oppo and definitely makes a difference.

D

Deleted member 2457

themovierooms said:
theflyingwasp said:
Do not bother with the oppo103 3d ,the darbee Darblet will make no diffrence to blu ray.it us purely a marketing gimmick by oppo as they will no new players to promote next year ,better to have an existing product with an upgrade than no new product at all. Anyway has anyone got one of these darbee Darblet ,if anything it seems to make the picture in theory a little bit worse?

I was firmly on the fence as don’t like adding in unnecessary processing either. I was actually ready to dismiss it out of hand but experience told me not to do this. It is a worthy addition to the Oppo and definitely makes a difference.

Do you have to play with the settings to get the difference or does it come out of box ready? Cheers.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
gel said:
themovierooms said:
theflyingwasp said:

Do you have to play with the settings to get the difference or does it come out of box ready? Cheers.

You need to play with it, there are plenty of recomended settings out there on the net though which get it just about perfect.

D

Deleted member 2457

themovierooms said:
gel said:
themovierooms said:
theflyingwasp said:

You need to play with it, there are plenty of recomended settings out there on the net though which get it just about perfect.

:cheers: Not for me I think.

ric71

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I was tempted,and it looks very good, but I just ordered the vanilla 103 and put the extra £ into having it region free,as sick of waiting for UK release blu rays.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Very favourable review of the Oppo 103D in the Xmas (!) 2013 issue, number 228, of Home Cinema Choice magazine, which thudded onto my mat today.

(That magazine also has a reference-rated review of the Yamaha A5000 pre-power 11-channel £5,000 AV receiver combination, and good reviews of the 65" Panasonic 4K LED and the Samsung PS51F5500 plasma, and and Epson projector, among others.)

D

Deleted member 2457

Son_of_SJ said:
Very favourable review of the Oppo 103D in the Xmas (!) 2013 issue, number 228, of Home Cinema Choice magazine, which thudded onto my mat today.

(That magazine also has a reference-rated review of the Yamaha A5000 pre-power 11-channel £5,000 AV receiver combination, and good reviews of the 65" Panasonic 4K LED and the Samsung PS51F5500 plasma, and and Epson projector, among others.)

Nice one, I will have to check it out.

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:

I also had an interesting chat with the guys at Audiocom who do the custom built Oppo based players and they had a lot of praise for the 103D. He also hinted at a possible 105D as well.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:

What do they say specifically about the yamaha pre pro unit please SoSJ?

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
What do they say specifically about the yamaha pre pro unit please SoSJ?

Too many good points to list here! The overall impression is in my statement "reference-rated review of the Yamaha A5000".

I forgot to mention that the magazine contains a supplement, namely the AV Tech Media 2013/2014 awards, with gongs in many categories going to items such as this Yamaha combination, the Panasonic 60ZT65, the Oppo 105 and the REL T7 subwoofer. The magazine, including the supplement, is well worth £4:50 of anyone's money I would have thought, it should be available in all good outlets such as WH Smiths, Tesco's etc by now .....

Chewy

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
Interesting thread - a great deal of opinion, and very little user experience?!

I have owned a Darbee Darblett for a little over a year. It is the single biggest enhancement to picture quality I have seen. Its effects are incredibly good, and when dialled into the appropriate subjective level (50%-60% for me personally) I can't imagine anyone not being impressed by what it does.

Let me clarify, the Darbee processing is not an upscaler, nor is it purely an image sharpening system (nor indeed is it anything like JVC's e-shift - which also incidentally is excellent). It is quite difficult to describe the effect, but it substantially enhances both the detail level and depth perception of the image. The latter effect is very subtle, but has quite a noticable effect on the viewing experience, making blu-ray even more engageing that it is already.

The level of its effect is also counter intuitive in that it works better, the better the source material. The better the movie transfer the bigger of a percieved improvement the Darbee will provide, since it has a more clearly defined and accurate (in terms of clarity) image to work with. Conversely the lower quality the source material the lesser of an improvement will be percieved. It is therefore excellent with blu-ray, and less so with off-air boradcasts.

All that said I wouldn't buy the 103D to get it. The simple reason being is that you want it further up the video chain, so that all of your sources can benefit from it. You are therefore better off buying the seperate Darbee Darblett (which is only around £100 more than the increasein the Oppo price), which runs in line just before your screen/PJ. I'm sure some people may baulk at the extra cost for this 'effect' but I would suggest it can provide percieved improvements greater than doubling your screen or projector budget, so in context is exceptional value.

The Darbee tech certainly must be good enough for Oppo to jump in with both feet and include in it thier already excellent video reference blu-ray player, and somewhat rush it through in between generational changes in their range. In addition Lumagen (who produce some of the worlds best video processors for those on here that haven't heard of them) are also including the tech in their new processor range. I would be highly surprised if we don't see the tech appearing in some big brand TV's and projectors in the fullness of time.

In short, whilst YMMV, I would recommend anyone to give it a go, and save their judgements until they've tried it - distance selling rules dictate items can always be returned if you don't like the effect, but in all honesty, I cant' see many people not being impressed by it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts