Replacing a sound bar - what do I need to hear a difference

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Yamaha YSP 1100 sound bar connected to SKY HD via optical cable, the sound is very good (altohugh no real surround effects). I want to upgrade to something which will be noticeably better. My room is 22ft by 12ft and I am prepared to cable but dont want big rear speakers or preferably front. I would be prepared to spend around £800 possibly a little bit more, could I beat the overall sound of the Yamamha for that?

A

Anonymous

Although sound bars have their place, there is no real alternative to a proper 5.1 setup.

I would suggest looking at something along the following lines:

AVR:
Onkyo 608 @ 450 approx or Yamaha 667 @350 approx or pioneer 920 @350 approx (if 3d pass through is not a requirement you may be able to get a good deal on a denon 2310 or yamaha 765/1065)

Speakers:

If you are after something in the lifestyle type range the Boston sound ware xs @ 400 approx or the new Cambridge audio minx 215 @500 would be suitable (if you could go a little larger the acoustic 2000 cinema pack would be even better).

You would need to audition these first of course, but a mix of this lot would be a great upgrade. Some places like RS even do packages.

A

Anonymous

You can get anything 5.1 and it would beat the soundbar.

I had a pioneer vsx-819 for 250.00 and maybe some kefs, or boston acoustics, for a bit bigger q acoustics

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Johnb1966,

For starters, what you would get with a decent 5.1 speaker system as oppossed to a soundbar is an immersive cinematic experience that would render steering effects in particular, a revelation.

Ronald

A

Anonymous

Just seen frank harvey has some monitor audio vector 5.1 for 399 but its xd

A

Anonymous

Nice spot Canada, those would be great with the yamaha 667 bringing the system in at £750, leaving a little budget for wiring

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts