Replacement suggestions for Arcam Alpha 6 amplifier sought

Audiophile

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Having enjoyed many years pleasurable listening from the amplifier I am now thinking of replacing it and would welcome suggestions to try. Most of my listening is classical music although I do have a pretty eclectic range of CDs ranging from Abba, through many 60s artistes to Led Zeppelin and The Who.

I currently have a Musical Fidelity CDT compact disc player and KEF Q5 speakers. My main constraining feature is budget and I would not want to spend more than £300 on a new amplifier which should also be capable of driving my existing but antiquated Yamaha tuner and (now seldom used) JVC cassette deck.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
For that kind of money I think a used amp would be a sound bet, and given the sound of the CDT, with its valve output stage, I'd be thinking Musical Fidelity XA-1, XA-2 or XA-100R. You might even be lucky and find an A3 for this kind of money.

The classic partner for this player would be a Musical Fidelity A1, but I think you might find it a little underpowered for the KEFs, unless you play music at fairly modest levels.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
With your set-up and previously having the Arcam 6 Amp i'd look at either Arcam Alpha 9 integrated or the 10 integrated amps

If youre lucky enough on Ebay you could possibly gert both the Arcam Alpha 9 integrated amp and the Alpha 9P power amp for £300.

Audiophile

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks Andrew and Dan for suggestions.

On a point of interest, is there any market, other than e-bay for second hand hi-fi separates ?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Audiophile"]
Many thanks Andrew and Dan for suggestions.

On a point of interest, is there any market, other than e-bay for second hand hi-fi separates ?
[/quote]

See this topic

http://whathifi.com/forums/t/6667.aspx

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I have to say that although my Arcam system sounds absolutely pukka, the area it performs least well is rock. But, given I don't listen to much rock I can forgive it.

For acoustics, jazz, chillout, dance, folk, African etc etc it is wonderful. IMHO Arcam kit is designed for detail, clarity, harmony and relaxation, glass of vino and you're away with the fairies.

I wonder whether you would be better with Andrew's suggestion of an MF amp, you could always upgrade at a later date with a power amp, which I would heartily endorse.

A

Anonymous

I would go with andrews suggestions of the musical fidelity gear, i used the the xa1 for years with the xa50's power amps and ican tell you they are fine amps, the arcams are great to just a little warm for my taste. either way you cant go wrong with mf or arcam! Im a fan of both brands...

TRENDING THREADS