Suggestions, please, for amplifier

Audiophile

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
After many years of happy listening through a Musical Fidelity CDT Compact Disc Player and KEF Q5 speakers, powered by a Musical Fidelity X-A1 amplifier I have decided to upgrade and have bought a second hand Linn IKEMI CD player.

I would welcome any suggestions as to what might be a suitable amplifier. My budget is unlikely to stretch beyond £700 for a good quality second hand amplifier and I would prefer to retain the speakers.

My main interest is in classical music although I do have an eclectic collection of cds.

Audiophile

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks, CnoEvil and John.

Would it be worth while considering either the Cyrus 6a or Roksan Kandy 2 if I can really stretch my budget?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
After a positive demo, I went from a Musical Fidelity XA2 to a Roksan Kandy k2. Big Mistake.

I've not heard a XA1, but with the benefit of hindsight I think I would have to spend more than £700 to have bettered the MF.

is there something you don't like about the MF (no remote ?)

if you can find them what about adding a pair of MF X100 mono blocks and bi amping ?

its what I should have done.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Harman Kardon HK990 might fit the bill.

This is a brilliant piece of equipment and has such a great sweet sound. I owned it and I loved it. I meant to write a longish report on my experience with HK990.

However, the catch was a bit different. My first amplifier had Fan noise and it was audible to me and by tilting the amp to one side the noise reduced considerably. However I found no wires inside fouling. I returned it to get another brand new one. The second amplifier was quite on the first few days but the noise came on thrid day and the fan noise was louder than the previous one. I returned it to get the third one. This one was absolutely quite. It ran for four days like that and sound improved as days passed by. I thanked the Dealer for taking care of all the problems I had. On the fifth day or so, there was small sound and the amplifier literally burst into smoke and flames. The music did not stop, the power supply on the amp or the circuit breaker in the home did not trip. It was a sight of horror for audio people like us, to see their favourite amplifier do that. I immediately turned off all the power supplies and returned the third piece.

I was tempted to get the fourth piece as the dealer was patient (and gem of a person), I could not dare to do it as I was relocating and I want to have some piece of mind.

So, keeping the above aside, if I have the same delaer and I do not live on third floor with out lift (This amp is heavy!) and ofcourse not relocating, I would have tried till the time I got the right piece and that is how good is the SQ and functionality of this amp is.

It is number one VFM that I ever had in audio barring the above issue that I had. It reminded me in so many good ways of my Pathos Inpol2.

Audiophile

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
There is certainly nothing wrong with the X-A1. I have found it to be an excellent amplifier although it does have a separate power unit and no remote. I don't know what age mine is and perhaps I may just keep it.

Why try to fix something that isn't broke? I just thought that it may well be worthwhile to upgrade the amp. in an attempt to obtain the full benefit of the upgrade to the cd player. That horror story of an experience of an amp tends to incline me to retaining the X-A1 unless someone persuades me that money would be well spent in upgrading.

Audiophile

Jan 31, 2008
Visit site
Many thanks to tose who have contributed. I really appreciate your comments.

Having given the matter some thought I have decided to go for a Cyrus 6a.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts