Replacement for Onkyo TX NR-717

Kraken

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. I purchased this for a song about 6 months ago ( just under £500 ), but if developed some faults and I returned it to Richer Sounds. Unfortunately the numpty courier returning my amp to the store, 4 weeks later, has managed to smash the rear panel beyond repair. So after 4 weeks of no home audio, I now have to find another amp of similar specs, for similar mone, as according to Richer Sounds it can't be repaired or replaced.

Richer Sounds have offered to discount a product in store or make a full repayment, but will not compensate me past this. It was a brilliant amp but truth be told I didn't use the THX all that often. Opinions on something similar would be VERY helpful.

Minimum Requirements -

4 x HDMI 1.4

7.1 100wpc

1 x optical

Internet Radio

As above, but I am looking for something a little more powerful.

Regards

glawrie

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Richer Sounds have the Onkyo TX NR828 on special offer at moment (£499 I think). Would appear to be able to do everything you specify.

Kraken

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
After looking at the Yamaha, and it is a VERY good amp, I thought I'd see what else I could find. It would be nice to retain as many features as possible to the original amp and a Brucy if I gain any. ie 1.4. HDMI 125wpc wifi 7HDMI's

It's a bonus too if I can get it through Richer Sounds as I can work a deal out in house after the monumental blunder they've performed. Otherwise it's just a refund. So.....

at the top of the scale -

Onkyo TX-NR828 7x130wpc 8x1.4 HDMI's

Sony STR DN1050 7x165wpc 5x1.4 HDMI's

Middle -

Onkyo TX-NR727 125wpc 8x1.4 HDMI's

Sony STR DN1040 7x100wpc 5x1.3 HDMI's

Cash back bargains -

Denon AVR X2000 100wpc 7x1.4 HDMI's

Pioneer VSX-923 150wpc 5x1.4 HDMI's

Opinions / advice on whether I'd be missing any functions with these choices would be great, Obviously it would be nice to walk away from this feeling a little bit better off.....I like it loud and punchy if that helps.

Richer Sounds

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hi there,

I was obviously most concerned to read your comments on this thread regarding your recent repair and offer my sincere apologies.

In order that I may investigate the matter further and attempt to resolve it to your satisfaction as soon as possible, please would you contact me via the below e-mail address with some further details?

john.p.clayton@richersounds.com

Once again, I offer my apologies, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Many Thanks

John Clayton

Operations Director

Richer Sounds

Kraken

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your sugestions and replies. Thanks John, I shall send you an E-mail as soon as I've finished posting this update. I feel I have been emphatic about all this and realise the fault lies via courier but I have to be honest here and say that simply doesn't cut it and I was getting a little @?!.

I have since spoken to my local Richer Sounds and as sorry as they are I left both the telephone conversation and there shop feeling a little under-appreciated. After scoffing at my purchase of a "THX" amp they offered me a Sony STR-DN1040, which came in under what I had paid for the Onkyo, so they credited me the difference, no better off, no worse off. They've let me test it out for a fortnight. So no discount and no comp'.

As said they were apologetic but that only lasts until I'm out the door. The amp' does not. I've still been royaly messed about here. Even when they had the amp for repair, it was me who was contacting them for an update, apparently they had the wrong contact details, which is strange as I updated the details the day after purchase with one of there colleagues at the same shop via telephone. More than a little Unhappy with all of this. I simply went over them and phoned Customer Services.

This is were it takes a change for the better. I spoke to Tom, a customer Services Manager at Richer Sounds, glad to say a complete change in tempo and professionalism. Now I realise in the grand scheme of things a £400 amplifier is not alot of money, but it's my hard earned money and it's my precious time. Thankfully I felt this was understood. He is in the process of putting together a VERY good package for me to consider and even tried to phone ONKYO to try and replace the AV like for like. Brilliant. Obviously the matter has not been resolved as of yet, but I now feel VERY confident it will be. I will update.

Regards.

Kraken

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Tom of Richer Sounds has managed to source a 717 from Onkyo. Not quite sure why my local store coudn't have attempted this in the first place, but moving on. They've offered me this and a complimentary 5 year extended warranty cover for the hassle. I've also been offered an STR-DN1050. Matter resolved I think.

Many thanks to Richer Sounds Customer Services for taking the time to chase this up and resolve it.

Kudos.

T

the record spot

The 717 is a good amp. Nice one. I have its bigger brother in the 818 and would be hard pressed to replace it to be honest.

T

the record spot

The 818 was the better of the two. Onkyo dipped on the spec for the 828, so the 717 if it retained Audyssey (which the 828 dropped) might be the better option. Not a massive difference between the two though. The new 838 looks like it could be pretty good!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts