replacement for Nexus 7? Asus Memo pad?

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
My 2012 Nexus 7 is now so slow it's unusable. I'm looking for something similar but with more power.

The Hudl 2 seems an obvious choice as it's a great tablet at a really good price but it's a little too big. I like the way the Nexus will for in pockets.

I don't want the 2013 Nexus 7 as I want a microSD slot.

So that leaves something like the ASUS Memo pad 7. £99 at PC World and offering £50 cash back on a trade in tablet.

My only worry is that I'll be largely getting what I've already got as the specs look similar. Has anyone got one? Would it be a good move?

Thanks

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I think you said it yourself.

Unless you make a significant upgrade there is little point.

Seems to be a common problem with the Android 5 update...I found this link with some tips...

http://awebp.com/speed-up-lollipop-slow-nexus-7/

abacus

If its just speed thats the problem, then follow the tips above, if however you want more features and an overall improvement in performance over your Nexus 7 (And don't want to pay too much) then the memo 7 is a great buy. (Its also lighter and will be able to run the latest Android aversion in the future)

I bought the Memo 7 because my 2012 Nexus 7 failed, however if it wasn't for that I would probably still be using it, as its a great Tablet.

Hope this helps

Bill

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Bill.

How do they compare in terms of performance?

I didn't want to make my post too long - so didn't mention that not only have I done several factory resets and caches cleans (via apps and boot menu), I've also reverted back to Android 4.4.2 as there's a lot online about 4.4.4 causing performance issues on the Nexus. Reverting to 4.4.2 improves things but I can sometimes wait, for example, 5 or 6 seconds for a keyboard to appear when touching an editable element.

I don't really understand how its performance can have degraded. The battery life is also down to shockingly poor levels so it's defo time for an upgrade. I'm about to buy my son the Hudl 2 so I'll have a good play with that.

abacus

Memo Pad still runs Android 4.4.2, with 4.4.4 to be made available in the future, however it still feels much much faster than the Nexus 7 running 4.4.2.

4.4.4 does require more power to operate and the CPU in the memo 7 is way in advance of the 2012 Nexus 7, so it should run quite well.

Once the batteries start to go, there is nothing you can do to improve them, you just have to replace them, however the cost involved to do this makes it more practical and sensible to buy a new Tablet.

Hope this helps

Bill

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I saw a video on YouTube demonstrating how to change the battery in the 2012 Nexus 7, and it looked like I could do it, and I'm generally very hands off. I've no idea about the 2013 model, which I unwisely upgraded to.

I'm trying to decide whether to get the Nexux 9, but I'm not overly enamoured of the new OS, and they went bigger and more expensive than I had hoped they would.

daveh75

Yep, replacement batteries are cheap and easy to replace on the N7 https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Nexus+7+Battery+Replacement/9895

Haven't noticed any performance issues on our N7 running Lollipop, though its seldom used now to be fair.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Well after much thought I've bought the Asus MemoPad 7. The Hudl I bought my son is great but a little too big and there's currently an offer to get £50 cashback on the Asus. No matter what I did my Nexus was so slow it drove me mad.

The Asus is a great little tablet. It's not high end but it's great value. The screen is bright and it's fast enough. Way faster than the Nexus it replaces but there's a bit of lag some times.

There's a bit of Asus bloatware but otherwise the Android implementation is good. The most obvious omission is an ambient ligh sensor so you have to adjust the screen brightness manually but it's not a problem. The screen is exactly the same size as the Nexus 7 but the overall unit is smaller so it feels more compact. It doesn't have the same solid feel as the Nexus, but maybe that's because it's smaller and lighter.

For what I want to do it's a great little tablet at a very affordable price, especially with the £50 cashback. I thought it from John Lewis so I have the peace-of-mind of having a 2 year warranty.

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Actually, now I've had this Memopad a week I'm thinking of returing it. The battery drain is just ridiculous. I'll charge it at night then put it to sleep and it's pretty much down to nothing by morning. Just rubbish.

abacus

roger06 said:
Actually, now I've had this Memopad a week I'm thinking of returing it. The battery drain is just ridiculous. I'll charge it at night then put it to sleep and it's pretty much down to nothing by morning. Just rubbish.

First check you settings and any programs that run in the background (You can use the onboard power monitor) to make sure they are not the cause of the problem.

If all OK, then definitely take it back, as I use mine daily (I just put it on charge overnight) and still have about 60% of power left, (Even if I forget to put it on charge I know I can easily get 2 days out of it) so its definitely a faulty unit.

Bill

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Bill. I Googled it (obviously) and many responses said give it three factory resets. I did this and also deleted Facebook Messenger which is said to cause huge battery drain.

I'd also emailed Asus support and a factory reset was what they suggested. Sure enough, it seems OK now. It drops a few % over night but that's too be expected. I charged it two days ago and have had some light use on it and I'm down to 40% which is OK.

Odd that that the 'standard' advice from Asus is a factory reset when you've had the device a week!

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts