Denon AVR and Slimport

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I've got a Denon AVR 3312 and want to use my Nexus 7(2013) as a source. In the past I've used my phone and a mhl adapter and that worked ok, but Nexus only works over slimport. I bought a slimport and it won't work with the Denon. The screen flickers as if it recognises something, but it doesn't then display the image. The slimport works fine when attached to the TV, so it's a Denon issue.

I'm constantly attached to my router so I assume firmware is up-to-date, but I cannot find any "manual firmware update" option in the Denon menus.

Any ideas? Thanks.

airberger

May 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi - I'm having a similar issue with my new Denon AVR X500. Nexus 7 (2013) plus Slimport adapter. It's the first device I've had any problem with, normally this Slimport adapter works with no issues.

Same symptoms as you - the TV screen flickers every few seconds as if it's about to connect, but then it never does. Occasionally audio will play for a few seconds, before the screen flickers again and the audio vanishes. I've tried different HDMI cables, and I've successfully connected other devices to the same port.

I found this link on the Denon website - it seems likely to be an HDCP syncing issue. The post has some suggestions, I'll try some of them out and let you know how it goes.

http://denon-uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1258/related/1

Thanks

airberger

May 7, 2014
Visit site
OK, I did a little experimentation last night.

I had been trying to connect the Nexus 7 to an "AUX" HDMI connector on the front of the X500, which is obviously desirable for a device that will normally be connected only temporarily to the receiver. Yesterday I tried turning on and connecting the devices in different sequences, but was not able to get video to my projector. I was getting audio temporarily through the receiver, which would be interrupted each time the receiver and projector failed and retried to connect.

Then I connected the Nexus to one of the HDMI ports on the back of the receiver. At first I was unsuccessful, but i found that if I switched the receiver to a different input, then switched it back to the Nexus HDMI port, suddenly it worked! This is less than ideal as I would much rather use the front port, but at least I have something that works now.

The moral of the story is that the HDCP handshake is a pretty dodgy system, very sensitive and easily disrupted. If you ask Denon, they'll say it's the fault of your TV or the SlimPort. If you ask your TV manufacturer they'll say it's Denon's fault or the SlimPort's. And so on. As a first step try every combination of HDMI ports, cables, equipment startup sequences and source switching sequences. Also, here is a link to a thread that says the handshake problem can often be solved by inserting an HDMI switch somewhere in the stream - worth a try if all else fails. Good luck!

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1096050/solution-to-hdmi-1080p-receiver-display-hdcp-handshake-problems

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for that! I will certainly give that a shot. I did try a back HDMI port,but didn't switch inputs so fingers crossed. It's a pain, but if it works...

Has anyone tried using a Chromecast with a Denon amp?

Thanks

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
It took me a while to get around to it, but it now works!

There was a firmware update on the AVR which prompted me to try again, and it didn't work. I then tried a rear HDMI port (DVD) and no joy. Then tried, randomly, Game2 and it worked fine!

Thanks

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts