Small Android

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Sadly my faithful Nexus 7 (2013) has died. The touch screen has stopped responding unless I shake and slap it! That's fine when people look at me like I'm a maniac on the tube, but not a good look in front of the CEO in meetings!

I need a new tablet. Now the uses are: web-browsing; email apps, reviewing word/excel and (most importantly) e-reader (kindle) app.

I don't play games and very rarely watch media. I need something small - the Nexus7 was ideal. I've got a Dell XPS super svelte laptop, so this is designed to be even more portable. I don't want to go smaller than 7" nor larger than 9".

Whilst I don't need super powerful, I do want quality. My son has a Hudl2 which is meant to be brilliant and budget. It's horrible and buggy, and the battery is awful. 18 months in, with minimal (no more than 30 mins a week, and always fully shut down), the battery only lasts 50 mins on a full charge. my Nexus is much better even though it's twice as old and is constantly on and heavily used for about an hour a day.

I'm looking at the Samsung S2 8". Is there anything else to consider? I don't want to spend lots, but don't want a budget item!

PS - don't want an apple product!

thanks!

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
yes, I did look at that, but it seems to be discountinued? It's on Sony's website, but when you go through to the "sony store", it only has the z4. The only retailers I can find are amazon marketplace or ebay etc. I prefer the John Lewis option (particularly as they're willing to price match the £30 discount offered by Currys).

That said, I've got a Sony phone (and like it). I previously had a Samsung S5 which I thought was good, until I got the z3 phone which is lightyears ahead in terms of user interface.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
hmmm.... tempting (particularly as they've suddenly withdrawn the underwhelming Nexus9) but I'm tabletless. Even if they announce something new in two weeks, it will be another 3-4 weeks before they ship in Europe. Not sure I can wait - I normally read a book every 4-6 days, so that's a big book gap in my life!

jjbomber

Big Aura said:
hmmm.... tempting (particularly as they've suddenly withdrawn the underwhelming Nexus9) but I'm tabletless. Even if they announce something new in two weeks, it will be another 3-4 weeks before they ship in Europe. Not sure I can wait - I normally read a book every 4-6 days, so that's a big book gap in my life!

Asus Zenpad S 8.0 is well worth a look.

Big Aura said:
hmmm.... tempting (particularly as they've suddenly withdrawn the underwhelming Nexus9) but I'm tabletless.  Even if they announce something new in two weeks, it will be another 3-4 weeks before they ship in Europe.  Not sure I can wait - I normally read a book every 4-6 days, so that's a big book gap in my life!
It is entirely possible for the products to be available from the day of announcement.

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
Hi Big Aura

I had similar tablet needs to yourself but then switched to the Kindle Paperwhite for reading and used my phone for all other 'browsing'.

I will never go back - the Paperwhite is incredible and really easy to load with your own documents. Clear screen that doesn't tire your eyes like a tablet and a battery that lasts about 3 weeks on my 2 hours of reading per day.

Just an idea for a different solution. £110 for paperwhite or £60 for normal kindle (still good).

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Off the wall suggestion ... and not an Android device .... a used Nokia 2520 running Windows RT. It's a svelte 10" tablet (just slightly bigger than you indicated), HD screen, SIM and SD card slots, HDMI and USB conectors, and full Microsoft Office and for your Word / Excel needs. Apps are thin on the ground, but sounds like you don't need them. Great battery life and very bright screen.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for all the input. I went to Currys over the weekend and looked at a Samsung S2 in the flesh. They denied there was a trade-in offer running until I showed it to them online, then they acknowledged it and knew all about it (without having to look into it!). They told me that the trade in was “upto £150” but that was only for Samsung tablets and iPads, and that they’d offer just £50 for my Nexus 7 if it was perfect, and £25 if not.

John Lewis are price-matching Curry’s £30 discount on the S2 in white, and that’s valid for 28 days.

Google i/o is next week, so will wait to see what they come up with and just struggle bookless until then, and start carting my laptop to meetings. It means that I get to dust off the Chord Mojo for commuting again!

Re the other options suggested:

Kindle Paperwhite – I’ve got an old-school kindle, which the wife uses. I need to be able to log in to Office365 on the tablet, so it’s not a runner. I don’t want to use my personal mobile for that, as the company I work for has a very strict security wall, so I’d need to enter alpha numeric 9+ characters and change it every 4 weeks, and if the password is inputted incorrectly (e.g. by my kids) more than 4 times they will remote wipe the device. A work tablet is safest!

Re the Nokia – my “work phone” is a Nokia. I just don’t like the Windows interface and there is a severe gap in the apps available, so it’s a no for me.

Thanks

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Big Aura said:
Google i/o is next week, so will wait to see what they come up with and just struggle bookless until then

You could always buy a real book to tide you over...everybody was fine with them for several thousand years :)

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
ha, but I don't have a nearby bookshop other than the tiny WH Smiths in the train station, and amazon would take a week r so to deliver. And I cannot read a "proper" book on the Northern Line as they require 2 hands, and I need to use one of my hands to stop me falling into the person next to me every time the train lurches!

Pre Kindle/tablet I read a book every 3 months, now I read 1 a week.

jjbomber

MajorFubar said:
You could always buy a real book to tide you over...everybody was fine with them for several thousand years :)

No they didn't. They had tablets, which were carved out rather than electronic. We went from tablets to paper to tablets. We have come full circle.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts