Replacement CD player

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Hi all, I have an ageing Karik3 cd that needs to be replaced and am looking for your help in deciding what to go for next. I have around £800 to spend and have decided second hand is the way to go. My other HI FI components are Cyrus 8xpdqx with psx-r, proac 130 speakers with chord carnival bi-wire and chord chameleon interconnects. I've 'narrowed' it down to a Cyrus cdxtse, primare cd31, roksan caspian m1 or a meridian d98dh all of which I can get within my budget. I haven't time to travel round and listen to them all and as second hand purchase can't request home demo, so your sage advice is desperately :) needed. Thanks in advance for all replies.

A

Anonymous

Well under your budget (and if you can find one); Arcam CD192... Super CDP and well reviewed/liked

Also for other suggestions; Arcam FMJ CD36, Rega Saturn and Audiolab CD8002 IMO

A

Anonymous

The Rega Saturn has an overall more smoother and beefier soundstage to it IMO but the Audiolab is still very good; very precise and very well presented

The Audiolab is much more 'future proof' though so it all really depends on what is required by the OP etc...

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. I'm looking for for quite an open sound with a bias on detail. My Karik is starting to sound a little muffled and bass heavy (sorry don't know the right description for it) and I want to be able to pick out instrument placement and notes better. Would any of these (or any others) be better suited for what I want do you think?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Terry

I have a Karrik/Numerik, so know how good it is.

The step I took was to go the Linn streaming route, which could well give you the sound you're looking for. The Sneaky is £800, should be a good upgrade and can be got cheaper ex-dem.

I personally think CD is on the wane and that this is a more "future proof" direction. It's certainly worth getting a demo before commiting any resources.

Hope this gives another perspective

Cno

A

Anonymous

Terry

I think it's worth taking a look at the (several) threads concerning problems with the loading mechanism of the current Cyrus CD players. The machine I had (which I've now managed to return & get a refund for) of 7 Red Book CDs in perfect condition refused to play 2 & swallowed a third. Straight from the box - I gave up after that. & mine doesn't seem an at all uncommon experience.

I've yet to get a new CD player, though I've got the Roksan Caspian M2 on order. Hope to report back (hopefully a favourable report).

Terry Hancock said:
Hi all, I have an ageing Karik3 cd that needs to be replaced and am looking for your help in deciding what to go for next. I have around £800 to spend and have decided second hand is the way to go. My other HI FI components are Cyrus 8xpdqx with psx-r, proac 130 speakers with chord carnival bi-wire and chord chameleon interconnects. I've 'narrowed' it down to a Cyrus cdxtse, primare cd31, roksan caspian m1 or a meridian d98dh all of which I can get within my budget. I haven't time to travel round and listen to them all and as second hand purchase can't request home demo, so your sage advice is desperately :) needed. Thanks in advance for all replies.

One that gets ignored: Leema Stream MKII version. It retailed for about £1200 was being sold at Sevenoaks, Brighton for £599. Very precise and ballsy CDP.

A

Anonymous

Probably the best cd player I've head in a long while is the Meridian. It's a little analogue in character, in that it conveys detail without ever being bright, has more than decent midrange and the bass is punchy if it's meant to be on the CD. That said, a CD player that can also double as a DAC is probably a good idea. I've heard the Audiolab and was decidedly lukewarm, but it does offer a lot for the money. If you judge by sound alone, it's behind the Meridian, but it is more flexible.

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Oh the joys of forums. Thank you everyone for your comments................and making my decision making considerably more difficult than it was before, lol. Now for the really hard bit and certainly in no order of preference. Firstly I would have gone for the cyrus immediately but for something in the back of my mind niggling away at me. Next, and thank you for feedback on the biggest spanner in the works, I have always heard the Meridian set up is excellent and along the lines of what I'm looking for though I've never heard one (and it does look gorgeous) but I've concerns a DVD/CD player can play music as well as a pure music player irrespective of original purchase price. Thirdly, and here's the real spanner in the works, I don't know enough about 'streaming' and how it works to know whether thats the right move for me or not. Considerations are.........I live in the sticks and my broadband downloads at .526mps, YES HALF A MEG(?), so streaming films etc is impossible unless I've a week to spare and I'm concerned the same would apply to music? Also at the ripe old age of 46 I don't understand the technology and having grown up with cd feel comfortable with it. Plus I don't know what other kit is required, ie for storage etc so I'm just a little bit scared of it I suppose. Back to you guys
smiley-laughing.gif

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Oooo I'm getting carried away now. Sorry grottyash, but what was the Meridian player you heard and can you remember what it was linked too? My next upgrade after this will be the speakers (though I'll keep the 130's for part of my surround sound for film) and I'm looking at VA Beethoven baby grands, Spendor A6 or Proac D18's, but that's a different story.

Terry Hancock said:
Oh the joys of forums. Thank you everyone for your comments................and making my decision making considerably more difficult than it was before, lol. Now for the really hard bit and certainly in no order of preference. Firstly I would have gone for the cyrus immediately but for something in the back of my mind niggling away at me. Next, and thank you for feedback on the biggest spanner in the works, I have always heard the Meridian set up is excellent and along the lines of what I'm looking for though I've never heard one (and it does look gorgeous) but I've concerns a DVD/CD player can play music as well as a pure music player irrespective of original purchase price. Thirdly, and here's the real spanner in the works, I don't know enough about 'streaming' and how it works to know whether thats the right move for me or not. Considerations are.........I live in the sticks and my broadband downloads at .526mps, YES HALF A MEG(?), so streaming films etc is impossible unless I've a week to spare and I'm concerned the same would apply to music? Also at the ripe old age of 46 I don't understand the technology and having grown up with cd feel comfortable with it. Plus I don't know what other kit is required, ie for storage etc so I'm just a little bit scared of it I suppose. Back to you guys
smiley-laughing.gif

I don't understand new technology either, but if there's something in the back of your mind about the Cyrus CDP, go and test one and test your own apathy.

I've said on here before, we can only advise, based on our personal experiences, but nothing betters your own ears...

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Terry Hancock said:
smiley-laughing.gif

:D

Take what you know about computors and divide it by 10, and that's me (in my 50s). :(

I went the Linn DS route, and the dealer was great and set the whole thing up....which is where I picked up the little I know.

The music is ripped (from CD) onto a NAS (network attached storage) using a laptop and can be controlled through laptop,iphone and pdas. It sounds more complicated than it is (I can work it so it's do-able), and there's good info on the Linn website, the Ripcaster website and any good Linn dealer.

The internet only gets used to find the metadata for the CDs being ripped using the ripping programs (eg DB Poweramp; EAC), streaming radio or downloading music.

It's a great way to organize and listen to music, including 24 bit HD audio (needs good internet to download). All I can tell you is that I'm glad I took the plunge, and it wasn't as difficult as I was expecting.

Do check it out.

Cno

A

Anonymous

Terry Hancock said:
Oooo I'm getting carried away now. Sorry grottyash, but what was the Meridian player you heard and can you remember what it was linked too? My next upgrade after this will be the speakers (though I'll keep the 130's for part of my surround sound for film) and I'm looking at VA Beethoven baby grands, Spendor A6 or Proac D18's, but that's a different story.
Will have to check. Everything is shut here for the next 4 days so can't check until next week - actually auditioning speakers at the time. Amp was Audio Analogue very expensive model and the Unico I heard it with Vienna Acoustics stand mounters and then with the Sonus Fabers I subsequently bought.

A

Anonymous

Mr Morph said:
Terry Hancock said:
I'm looking for for quite an open sound with a bias on detail.

You should definately audition the Audiolab 8200CD.

I was going to use the exact same quote, so, yes - seconded!

In all honesty I've not listened to any high-end CD players but I did demo the Audiolab against an Arcam CD17 and Marantz CD6003, and the greater degree of detail and instrument separation over both was significant.

A

Anonymous

Terry Hancock said:
My Karik is starting to sound a little muffled and bass heavy.

The Amp you have Cyrus 8xpdqx has digital inputs, thus you don't need a top flight CD player per se - you only need something to spin your discs and output the sigle via digital. Therefore if your Karik still spins discs have you tried connecting it via the COAX output to your amp ?

I'd recommend a streaming solution to, in addition to a cheap s/h disc spinner of some ilk.

-N-

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Correct me if I`m wrong, but if you already have a Cyrus 8xpdqx, which has excellent DAC, then what you really need is a very good transport to send a digital/PCM signal to the Cyrus? The Cyrus will then do the translation to analogue Otherwise, you will be paying a lot for elements that you already have in your system. However, is there a CD player that provides the excellent transport without also including (unnecessary)high-grade DAC ?

Edit - Sorry, just noticed same response above - interested in options though. I have Cambridge Audio 650BD universal player - is the transport in this as good as I can get, as very rarely has any problems spinning all sorts of format discs?

Terry Hancock

Mar 10, 2010
Visit site
Thank you all for your help and advice. After much contemplating over this weekend I am certainly going to look into the streaming options now. I'll let you know how I get on and whether I'm as adept at this technology stuff as you cno
smiley-laughing.gif
. I'd still love to know what the Meridian cd was you heard Grottyash so please let me know if you get back there again soon. Off to enjoy some sunshine now I think.............................

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Terry Hancock said:
Thank you all for your help and advice. After much contemplating over this weekend I am certainly going to look into the streaming options now. I'll let you know how I get on and whether I'm as adept at this technology stuff as you cno
smiley-laughing.gif
. I'd still love to know what the Meridian cd was you heard Grottyash so please let me know if you get back there again soon. Off to enjoy some sunshine now I think.............................

I think that's wise even if you combine both functions in one unit (eg. Naim Uniti)

A

Anonymous

It was the Meridian GO6.2. Slightly out of my league, but I may wander round and ask questions about the demo version....

A

Anonymous

Terry Hancock said:

Terry, are you using the digital inputs on your Cyrus amp, are you considering using them? I imagine you were using the analogue out on your CD player previously, unless we were mistaken. And if mistaken then the dullness is probably not from your CD player.

Looking forward to hearing your solution, and definitely try the digital ins if you haven't already.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts