Replace YAMAHA A-S1000?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Funny you should mention that. Years ago when I looked at adding a power amp, using the A65 as a pre, I heard the P80 and Rotel RB something power amp. There was a noticeable different, albeit quite subtle.
understood. An ideal power amp should do just that but obviously none are ideal.
a more noticeable difference should be heard if you kept to one power amp but changed preamps.
However, it has a lot to do with synergy, which is why I wouldn't advise using a pre / power combo from different manufacturers

understood. An ideal power amp should do just that but obviously none are ideal.
a more noticeable difference should be heard if you kept to one power amp but changed preamps.
However, it has a lot to do with synergy, which is why I wouldn't advise using a pre / power combo from different manufacturers
All the power amps with dancing meters I've seen on the internet are mostly Chinese. I've read that quality is patchy at best

Peter227

Jul 25, 2020
Visit site
Hi
Let me first write that the computer is my source of sound. That's what my ASUS Xonar Essence STX audio card is for. The Yamaha A-S1000 now serves as an amplifier. Of course I have the card connected to the amplifier via the MAIN IN input. So all the junk in front of this entrance serves me nothing and is virtually dead. A dead investment.

Now I am thinking of purchasing a clean final stage. But I don’t know what to buy so as not to be a step back. Yamaha has very good sound (my speakers are TRIANGLE Comete EZ).

I was thinking about the Hitachi HMA 8500 MkII. I especially like the large VU meters. Hitachi, however, seems a bit too old to me ...

What would you choose as a replacement for the Yamaha A-S1000. Something with big VU meters?

Andrej

Hi Andrej,

I would replace the Yamaha As1000 (a very good amp) only with a PowerAmp; for example, Arcam P240, Anthem MCA 225, Benchmark. A good power-amp gives you a better sound and better control on the speakers.
Of course, you'll need a pre-amp too but the sound quality will improve.

Regarding VU meters: well, marketing is nice but the sound comes first!

Regards,
P

TRENDING THREADS