Flac files on a Mac Mini (2009)+Fiio DAC+pma720 Denon Amplifier (1992)+dm570 B&Ws: what should I change first...

...with no more then 1000 euros?

Other elements: I use to listen 70% to music (pop and jazz, mostly) and 30% to movies. The room is big: 5x6 meters and more import 5 meters high (I live in an ex industrial warehouse), but I do not need high volume sound.

ADDED INFORMATIONS AS SUGGESTED LATER: I would like a warmer sound and more bass and feel like I am at the centre of the soundstage (especially when I watch movies). I am not sure which component is the bottle neck in that, I guess speakers and amplifier. I considered a (cheap) valvolar amplifier but I am scared my babies can touch it, also I do not want wait every time that it makes warm (since it needs at least 5 minutes)

Also I must stay on book shelf speakers or subwoofer or monitor speakes (connecter by airplay or google chromecast audio) because me and (especially) my wife don't want wires around or big towers

I am thinking about upgrading to NAD c26 bee + Monitor Audio Bronze 2 + some economic subwoofer (for movies)

Or should I go with something like Yamaha R-N500 , instead of NAD, and get rid of mac mini and portable DAC too?

Thanks in advance

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello Mario, welcome to the forum.

I think we will need to know a bit more contextual information, especially why you want to change your existing system - for instance what do you feel is wrong with the sound produced by your existing system. That will provide a useful clue as to what type of sound you are seeking to achieve.

rainsoothe

Hi. If they fit the budget, look at XTZ A100D3 + XTZ 93.23 mk2 speakers. The amp has a dac with optical or coaxial in (i forget which, might be both), and you won't find any better for the price. If you can't afford the entire upgrade, do the amp first and speakers later (or mitigate some of the damage by selling your old amp and speakers). Also, later on, you can add an Onkyo C-N7050 - which acts as cd player and streamer, and use it's digital out into the XTZ's digital in. I can vouch for this brand, nothing came close to that amp for the price - unless size and lack of headphone out is an issue. As for the speakers, they're better then speakers at double the price imo.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Dacs are pretty mature technology these days, most differences are in the implementation and analog stages, it is really the only area that designers can make their products different.

As suggested above, an amplifier and speaker upgrade is just about viable at that budget, though a lot will depend on prices in your particular market. Try and get an amp with an asyncronous dac and a usb type 'B' input, that will give you the best transfer of your music then choose a pair of speakers that you prefer, ideally auditioned with that amplifier.

The models mentioned above are known to be good quality though the amp lacks a usb input, XTC will sell direct, assuming you are in europe, but of course you can not listen first. Plenty of other options though, what might be helpful is an idea of what brands are available to you and at what prices.

Thanks a lot, it's getting clearer, with that explation I can focus now on some solutions I can buy that amplifier (that seems great!) for 780 € in Italy, and order online (from xtz website) the speakers for 180 + 180 = 360 €. Total would be a little be over my budget, but that's fine, just I do not have any money for subwoofer if I go with that configuration. Problem: I can not listen to the amplifier with those speakers, maybe I can not listen to it at all (I would order it online) Any alternatives? I think I can find easily to listen (and to buy) the following: denon, yamaha, marantz, nad, pioneer, teac as amplifier, and B&W (like 685 s2) speakers.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I would have the XTZ over any of the price comparable offerings from the mainstream brands that you mention but that is a personal choice. A lot depends on price though, an amp that is decent value at £299 in the UK does not look so good at €500, for example.

I'm out on a limb somewhat when it comes to choosing equipment at this level, most of the mainstream amps really do not 'do it' for me and I tend to avoid the big speaker manufactures like B&W or Kef so I am probably not the most help here.

rainsoothe

Mario Angiulli said:
Hi, XTZ is out of stock and will not be produce anymore (I talked with a XTC guy by email). Any other options for that price at least nearly as good?

Thanks a lot

omg, that's such sad news! Did he say why? By the way, another highly regarded amp over here (but might be out of budget, i'm not sure) is Abrahamsen - maybe check that out.

rainsoothe

Another option would be to buy new (and sensitive) speakers and a nice used amp, maybe dac + amp. Something like Micromega myDac and a used / ex-dem Naim Nait 5si or Rotel Ra 1520. As for speakers... I really don't know what to recommend outside of Q Acoustics Concept 20. So XTZ don't even have speakers anymore?

I like your advice, bus the abrahmsen does not seem to have usb asyncronous.

alsp, my wife, Who loves design (...), found those speakers: http://www.elipson.com/en/model/137_Planet-L.html

what do you think, can they compare to the q acoustic? I hope so, the cost Michele more!

about xtz, they arte designing a new integrated amplifier, bus it won't be on the market soon. they stile sell lots of products brut my wife does not like the design of their speakers

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Mario Angiulli said:

alsp, my wife, Who loves design (...), found those speakers: http://www.elipson.com/en/model/137_Planet-L.html

what do you think, can they compare to the q acoustic? I hope so, the cost Michele more!

about xtz, they arte designing a new integrated amplifier, bus it won't be on the market soon. they stile sell lots of products brut my wife does not like the design of their speakers

I'm guessing style over function. What Hi Fi review says they're not great for big rooms.

Whether you like them better than the Q acoustics I guess will depend on what kind of sound you like. Based purely on the reviews it seems they have a very clean, transparent sound without much warmth or a lot of bass. No Delialet Phantoms then. I've never heard the Q acoustics either, but for some reason I've got an image of them being somewhat warm and relaxed. Can an owner or someone who has actually heard them comment?

Yes, I read that review... adding a good subwoofer can help?

Also, do you think I can stream music to a subwoofer through Mac mini and at the sa e time play music in those speaker through Mac mini and integrated amplifier? Can the sound be sincronous?

again about speakers: an alternative would be Grunding Audiorama 9000 http://www.grundig.de/index.php?id=1092&L=1 : anyone can tell me which is better then those and the planet L? Given that I would follow who suggested me a Rotel ra-1520, seems ok Tks all!

rainsoothe

Mario Angiulli said:

You can get a cheap audio interface for the time being, like Behringer UCA 202 (from thomann), and upgrade to a better dac later - Micromega MyDac or something along those lines, and end up with a great amplifier, like the Abrahamsen seems to be. It should be a good match for Dali Zensor 3 - too bad waifu don't like how the XTZ's look, they would've made a great match :)

TRENDING THREADS