Replace YAMAHA A-S1000?

aokorn

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi
Let me first write that the computer is my source of sound. That's what my ASUS Xonar Essence STX audio card is for. The Yamaha A-S1000 now serves as an amplifier. Of course I have the card connected to the amplifier via the MAIN IN input. So all the junk in front of this entrance serves me nothing and is virtually dead. A dead investment.

Now I am thinking of purchasing a clean final stage. But I don’t know what to buy so as not to be a step back. Yamaha has very good sound (my speakers are TRIANGLE Comete EZ).

I was thinking about the Hitachi HMA 8500 MkII. I especially like the large VU meters. Hitachi, however, seems a bit too old to me ...

What would you choose as a replacement for the Yamaha A-S1000. Something with big VU meters?

Andrej

aokorn

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Yes, exactly. I don’t use volume or other corrections either. Basically I already have a preamp in ASUS Xonar.
I’m thinking of investing all this junk I don’t use in Yamaha in a better pure amp (only power section).

So I’m willing to also sell Yamaha to someone who needs it in its entirety...

Yes, exactly. I don’t use volume or other corrections either. Basically I already have a preamp in ASUS Xonar.
I’m thinking of investing all this junk I don’t use in Yamaha in a better pure amp (only power section).

So I’m willing to also sell Yamaha to someone who needs it in its entirety...
How important are Vu wattage meters? AFAIK just a power amp with dancing meters are pretty thin on the ground.

OK - you're in a bit of a quandary if you are thinking second hand, as your Hitachi suggestion implies. I doubt you'd be able to audition at home - which you'd need to in order to decide whether the change improves the sound to your ears. Buying new might allow you to try a power amp at home, dependent upon the dealers local to you.

This will sound like a cop-out, but if you are genuinely happy there is scope for the change to make it worse. I'd think carefully about change if you are genuinely happy with how it sounds. Many people don't use all of their amp's facilities - I only use one input, so the others, and the built-in phono stage, are redundant - but I am happy with the sound so it's moot.

That said, if you would like to improve the sound, what is it that you think could be improved? I doubt many people here have much knowledge of power amps with VU meters - and those that might would need an idea of budget etc.

aokorn

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Well, I'm glad you understood me. What bothers me the most is that all this electronics in Yamaha is not in use. Practically only the power part is used. Well this one is really very good in Yamaha. There are practically four transformers and a potential-free output... I am increasingly realizing that I will not get a suitable (better) amplifier like the AS1000 for this money. But truth be told, I would have preferred it when the final stage had at least VU meters to see that something was going on ...
And that of course the electronics I use are 100% utilized - used. Not that 75% of my resources are hanging dead. After all, I paid for it all.

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I think we're all in the same boat, all of us have redundant parts within our systems, My exposure 31010s2d amp has six inputs, I use one, my njc headphone amp also has pre-amp functionality, I don't use that as I wanted a remote volume control, so plumped for a Integrated amp so I don't need to get off my lazy butt to control it, we all need to make comprises and if vu metres are so important to you (I don't know why) but I think you're going to have to comprise also and maybe get a integrated that has the vu metres you crave.lol. I don't think I've ever seen a power amp with them. On another note, it took me a while to find a amp that only AMPLIFIED, without headphone amp or dac or phono stage on board, I like to keep these features separate in my system, if just not for sound quality but also to avoid the future obsolescence built into the more recent amplifiers from most manufacturers these days....And if I was going to recommend a amp with vu metres today, it'd probably be the Yamaha as-1200, not cheap even on the used market in fact I believe all the modern amps from the Japanese manufacturer's Yamaha, Technics and Accuphase with vu metres are at the ...mid -to high end spectrum and therefore quite expensive... Good luck with the search though.

Last edited:

aokorn

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
I think we understand each other. No one buys what he does not need, but what he needs.
I don't need any phono inputs, no tuner inputs, no CD inputs, no treble / bass regulation, no volume control, no balance, no loudnes ...
I have already integrated all of this into the ASUS Xonar Essence STX PC audio card.
I have the PC at my hobby spot. And you have to admit, everything can be found on the PC. In every genre, type of music, and also in every possible quality ...

Truly, you've hit my taste direction: Technics SE-R1 would be something for me. Just nothing for my portmanais ...

I am open to suggestions. My budget is about $ 1000. I think that's how much I get for my YAMAHA A-S1000. I would make a switch as well.

aokorn

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
I suspect that's a long way off the mark in a great many instances! Besides, you don't really need VU meters in any strict sense, you want them. I hope the suggestion above helps you - look like it fits the bill.

It's true. I don't need the VU meter. I admit, the VU meters are not very useful. But I love it when something flickers.
The price is within my scope.
If I think right, I'd like to swap.
To keep it simple.
Maybe someone requires such an integrated amplifier ...

aokorn

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
Hi,
Since you own the amplifier, like the sound etc., then just sweat the asset.

The power used by the circuitry of the unused inputs, will be minimal, or non-existent. I see no reason to change.

Regards,
Shadders.

I've owned the Yamaha for over a year now. One is inclined to try something different. Without loss, of course!
If possible with gain! In this case, that gain is not measurable in money, but in my subjective satisfaction.

It sounds like you've got an itch to scratch so go ahead - but you might want to buy before you sell. That way if you don't like what you've bought as much, you can either return it or sell it on - you'd still have the current amp to fall back on. If VU meters will add to your feeling of contentment, it's only yourself you should be aiming to please.

aokorn

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
It sounds like you've got an itch to scratch so go ahead - but you might want to buy before you sell. That way if you don't like what you've bought as much, you can either return it or sell it on - you'd still have the current amp to fall back on. If VU meters will add to your feeling of contentment, it's only yourself you should be aiming to please.

That sounds good!(y)

shadders

I've owned the Yamaha for over a year now. One is inclined to try something different. Without loss, of course!
If possible with gain! In this case, that gain is not measurable in money, but in my subjective satisfaction.
Hi,
If all you want is something different, and want a different sound, then why not just add a software based processor to the PC to modify the sound ?

You can add equalisation, or distortion as you wish, and remove when required, with perhaps different settings/stored presets, depending on your mood of the day. It would be a lot more efficient rather than purchase another amplifier with a dedicated sound you cannot change.

Regards,
Shadders.

shadders

Sounds interessting.
But sorry. I don't really understand what you mean. Can you give me an example?
Hi,
I have not looked into this, but there must be software that allows you to add effects to the audio that you are playing through the PC soundcard.

A quick search using "free pc audio equalizer" provides a site which refers to Equalizer APO, or Boom 3D etc.

There are probably software solutions that can add distortion, or recreate a Tube/Valve sound too.

The PC is a perfect way to get the sound you like.

Regards,
Shadders.

Reactions: aokorn

aokorn

Jan 12, 2022
Visit site
A quick search using "free pc audio equalizer" provides a site which refers to Equalizer APO, or Boom 3D etc.
Thanks!
I know the APO and use it occasionally.
But thanks for the idea anyway. You can't get from loud information to the real thing...
I will try out some of them!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts