Replace 20 year old amp or get a sub?

MrBertrand

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
I am streaming from a Blue sound Node 2i into my 2002 Roksan Kandy mkIII, feeding Dali Oberon 5s. I’m hoping to move into a detached house soon and will be able to unleash a bit more volume. Is the £600 I’m considering spending on the Dali E12 sub going to have as much an impact on the scale of the sound or might I be better looking at buying a £600 amp? I’m thinking £600 might not be enough to improve on the Roksan?

aversaurus

I had a roksan k2 and was looking for s upgrade so I got the matching power amplifier .it made a difference the sound was more accurate and spacious .but it really didn't make that much difference

MrBertrand

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
No, it’s got enough grunt at 110 watts. The room’s about 18’ x 12’ but, because it’s detached, I’ll be able to go large and throw in some tight, extended bass. My dilemma is, I love the set-up but, how can I put this? It’s like when you have a cute kid or a kitten or puppy and you want to squeeze it real hard it’s that loveable. It’s not broke so I ain’t looking to fix it; I just want ‘more’ of it. More of its good stuff. Just what I have but better? I’ll get my hat.

Maybe you’ll find a nice dealer who will lend you a newer amp to try? But I’d guess you’ll need £1500 or more to clearly beat the Kandy. If it ain’t broke…!

I‘m not a sub fan for music, but those who love them will say one is essential.

D

Deleted member 116933

For 600 quid you’ll be having a bit of a downgrade for the amp. To buy an amp like yours today you’d be easily looking at the short end of 2k. If there’s nothing wrong with it leave that.

A sub will have a far more noticeable effect on the sound than any amp. You will gain a full-range sound that’s nearly impossible to get at most budgets without and they also have positive effects on the rest of the frequency range when set up right.

To get more value for money I’d be looking a BK electronics subwoofers. 600quid would easily buy you the monolith. But as the name suggests it’s big. But they do others in the range to suit. Stick with the subwoofer brands that make nothing other than subs

Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrBertrand

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
For 600 quid you’ll be having abit a of down grade for the amp. To buy an amp like yours today you’d be easily looking at the short end of 2k. If there’s nothing wrong with it leave that.

A sub will have a far more noticeable affect on the the sound then any amp. You will gaining a full range sound that’s nearly impossible to get at most budgets with out and they also have passive effects on the rest of the frequency range when set up right.

To get more value for money I’d be looking a BK electronics subwoofers. 600quid would easily buy you the monolith. But as the name suggests it’s big. But they do others in the range to suit. Stick with the subwoofer brands that make nothing other than subs

Hope that helps.

Thanks millenia_one. Yeah, I kinda figured my amp’s the jewel in the crown and that I’d be looking north of a grand to say the least (and yet, somehow there’s no end of them knocking around eBay for £300?) So, it’s the sub, like I thought. Well, excuse my ignorance but would buying the Dali sub purely because it’s the same manufacturer as the speakers a false economy. Does it have no effect on the setup whatsoever? Should I just get the best sub, regardless of badge or brand compatibility? Like I said, advice appreciated.

insider9

Whose side are you on? 🥴
Haha! Yours! As soon as you move the truth will reveal itself. At which point you might not need any advice for the forum. Not trying to discourage your research as it's important to consider options but I'd wait with spending actual cash for the time being.

Unless you are prepared to go second hand in which case if you buy smart do it asap as you'll always get your money back 😀 In that scenario go for what excites you the most. Makes no difference if it will improve things or not. Just enjoy!

Tinman1952

+1 for the sub. Don’t listen to those that say subs are not for music…. Brands like REL, SVS and others have made their reputation by offering musical subwoofers. They are a significant improvement on basic speaker setups and give a scale and weight to music similar to what you would hear in a live situation.
The only drawback is they take some patience to set up properly as you would like them…… Remember, if you can hear the sub ….. it’s too loud! 🙂

D

Deleted member 116933

Thanks millenia_one. Yeah, I kinda figured my amp’s the jewel in the crown and that I’d be looking north of a grand to say the least (and yet, somehow there’s no end of them knocking around eBay for £300?) So, it’s the sub, like I thought. Well, excuse my ignorance but would buying the Dali sub purely because it’s the same manufacturer as the speakers a false economy. Does it have no effect on the setup whatsoever? Should I just get the best sub, regardless of badge or brand compatibility? Like I said, advice appreciated.

There may be plenty knocking around for 300 quid but for RRP today, yeah it will cost alot to match it let alone surpass it good and proper. stick with it.

SUB wise It's from personal experiance, they never perform the same as the subwoofers from brands such a REL that are known for making subwoofers and noting other, they are just better. Speaker manufacturers always cheap out somewhere bad amp plates (monitor audio ASW12), cone may look fancy but is really bad (KEF). They always sell you on the big numbers but i can bet my bottom dollar that an 8inch second hand SPL800 Velodyne would outperform the daili you are looking in fact i know it will. The cone in the Velodyne could sink a battle ship. SUB brands just use better components there not wasting money on marketing.

BUT there are good speaker brand subwoofers seismic 110 AKA the bull dog very very good though expensive.

As others have mentioned wait till you move and then talk with the SUB brands or dealers to see what size you will need probably 10inch and up. but it boil down to whether you want to feel the bass in your every being or just fill out the sound really well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: MrBertrand

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts