Upgrading Bluesound node 2i

MrBertrand

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
Current set-up is a Node 2i into a Roksan Kandy MkIII into Dali Oberon 5s. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely love listening to Apple Music streams on this gear, but I’d love to get even more out of it. I’m thinking of beginning my upgrade journey with a Naim XD5 streamer as a first step; followed by a Naim Supernait 2 (cause I don’t have a turntable, so don’t need the 3 (?), and then, maybe Spendor A7s.
I have several questions:
Will replacing the Node 2i with the Naim make a noticeable difference?
The Roksan’s 20 years old now. Am I right in assuming that 3k’s worth of that Naim ‘sound’ will prove a worthwhile move?
Would the A7s work well with the Naim pairing?
Any thoughts/opinions welcome
Cheers,
Paul

To answer your questions on order, it will make a difference but exactly how noticeable is down to you, Roksan sound and Naim sound are different, audition to make sure it is acceptable to you as I would say it would be a worthwhile move, there is no reason to think the A7s will not be sufficiently well driven by the Naim just make sure they suit your listening room.
Spending this sort of money I would find a dealer who will let you home audition the speakers at least....because the Supernait 2 will probably be second hand will it?
If so go audition it or a 3 anyway.
Have fun!

MrBertrand

Jul 9, 2021
Visit site
To answer your questions on order, it will make a difference but exactly how noticeable is down to you, Roksan sound and Naim sound are different, audition to make sure it is acceptable to you as I would say it would be a worthwhile move, there is no reason to think the A7s will not be sufficiently well driven by the Naim just make sure they suit your listening room.
Spending this sort of money I would find a dealer who will let you home audition the speakers at least....because the Supernait 2 will probably be second hand will it?
If so go audition it or a 3 anyway.
Have fun!
Thanks for your thoughts. Couple of things, and would love your input on them:
The logic for the Supernait 2 and not the 3 is because I don’t need a turntable so a 2nd hand 2 brings a 3 grand Naim into the 2 grand arena; or am I missing a point here?
Scared me a bit with the Naim and Roksan having different sounds. Maybe I should look at the Black? Is there a thread that tells me more about the Naim ‘sound signature? I’ve heard a lot about ‘musicality’ and ‘timing’ but don’t understand what they mean. Does musicality and timing just refer to a more prominent bass and drum section placing more emphasis on rhythm? I’m at a loss.

Thanks for your thoughts. Couple of things, and would love your input on them:
The logic for the Supernait 2 and not the 3 is because I don’t need a turntable so a 2nd hand 2 brings a 3 grand Naim into the 2 grand arena; or am I missing a point here?
Scared me a bit with the Naim and Roksan having different sounds. Maybe I should look at the Black? Is there a thread that tells me more about the Naim ‘sound signature? I’ve heard a lot about ‘musicality’ and ‘timing’ but don’t understand what they mean. Does musicality and timing just refer to a more prominent bass and drum section placing more emphasis on rhythm? I’m at a loss.
Unfortunately reviewers tend to throw words around that are, to all intents and purposes, superfluous as you don't have their ears or comprehension as to what exactly they are referring to. However this does mean that the only way you are going to tell if a Naim amp, or any amp for that matter, is going to sound great in your system is to go and actually listen to it.
The Supernait 2 and 3 are obviously going to sound very similar so do you have any dealers in your area where you can audition a 3 prior to buying us 2 second-hand?
Your logic regarding the 2 is sound, if you are never going to get a turntable why would you want to pay the extra for that input and inbuilt phono preamp.

Last edited:

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
I have had a couple of Naim amplifiers...well a nait xs and Superuniti, both were very good and I never read to much into the prat thing, one thing I'll say is that I think they're a tad over priced compared to something like my current exposure 3010s2d and probably equivalent Roksan kit, the build quality is second to none though and your well covered if something does go wrong, Naim can service and repair almost anything they've ever made.

TRENDING THREADS