Repairing an old amplifier

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
At present using a Talk Electronics Storm 2 amplifier (£650 12 years ago). It produces a small buzzing sound through the speakers when it comes out of standby. The noise is not significant at moment but may be getting worse but i would like to build the system around it.
My question is how easily it can be repaired or serviced as it seems to be a rare amp and information hard to find or would it probably be better to replace with a new amp.

If a new amp any suggestions would be welcome. The amplifier was described in a magazine as a clear,transparent, detailed and a slightly warm listen. i generally prefer a lean sound if this makes sense.

I would only replace with a new amp hopefully at same level.
Cheers

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Yes it has been tested and fault is with amp. It was bought second hand really to see what this level of amp can do in which it does deliver. It is a fairly old amp and do not know its history. Not to bothered about it as i did not pay much for it. It is still usable for time being. I have never put an amp in for repair and there seems little information on these amps. No idea what kind of costs are involved in repair or servicing amps. Really trying to make a decision if I should keep the talk amp and repair or else change amp for one at a similiar level. Thanks

n4d5

Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi Jonomd Firstly you will have to find an engineer who is willing to repair this for you and see if the parts are available. Secondly you got to consider the cost. Engineers the last time i used one was 6 month ago charged me around £65 an hour plus the cost of the parts. Parts could be something small and cheap to something big and expensive, you need to ask them for total cost of repair. Now you got to consider, it is 12 years old, do you like the sound of this amp? and cannot find another amp that sounds as good or even better?, which will make you willing enough to repair it? Hope this helps you in making your final decision

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Could not say if talk amp is any better or worse than any other amp at this level. More familiar with Marantz 6003,yamaha s500 and rega brio 3 which I think the talk outperforms each of these amps. Suppose repairs costs may well make it uneconomical to repair. Although a very nice amp I just have not heard any equivalent amps at this level. it may be better to go for new which would make system matching a bit easier as talk equipment seems to be hard to come by.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
If you take it for repair they should be able to offer a diagnosis for a small fee (£20ish) from this they will then tell you how much it will cost to fully repair. The amplifier is not old enough that parts would be a problem to source. Might be worth while lifting the lid off the amplifier (with the power off) to see if you can see any bulging or leaking capacitors as these would only cost a few pounds to replace. Just as a matter of interest whereabouts in the country are you ?

Edit : After looking at some info on this amplifier it appears that the on/off button on the front puts it into standby and leaves the powerstage idling. This means failing capacitors are more likely, as previously mentioned have a look for bulging or leaking caps yourself to start with.

jonomd

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Had a look and nothing seemed amiss with the amp. It is easy enough to live with at moment.
I am located in south of scotland. The noise is not noticable when the music is on for the moment anyway.
cheers

A

Anonymous

You should try DIYAudio - that's the right place for that question! I'm sure it can be fixed fairly easily.

Questions:

1) Does it hum the same amount in each channel?

2) Have you a photo of the inside?

3) Have you schematics?

4) Is the hum gentle or rough (i.e. has it got harmonics, is it at 50Hz or 100Hz?)

5) Does the hum vary with volume?

6) Does it hum on all of the inputs?

T

the record spot

In addition to the above, give Fidele Audio a ring if you're not comfortable doing the repair yourself. They're based in Galston in Ayrshire, which isn't too far from where you are. Unless you're in Kelso or Coldstream (but you'd have probably referred to the Borders then I suppose!).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts