Question Reliability

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
I have found myself in a position where I need to buy another Amplifier.
At present I am looking at, Musical Fidelity M3si, Rega Elex-R, Marantz PM7000N, Audiolab 8300A, Quad Vena II.
There are no dealers near me to listen to the Cambridge CXA81 just in case you were wondering.

If any one would like to rate the reliability of these makes then it would help me to audition them with the weakest removed.
Thanks Delboy14

Reliability is perhaps not the best reference for purchasing an amplifier. Whilst all manufacturers can have issues with some of their products simply buying an amplifier based on this function alone doesn't mean it's going to fit in well with the rest of your set-up.
If concerns still apply check out their warranty period and keep it simple, that is just buy an amplifier and not an all in one wonder.

Reactions: Noddy

Jimboo

What AL said.
To be honest with the info given any advice wouldn't really be much use, that is,if based on the question as it is has been put.
So you cannot demo the Cambridge what if we all said , ooh that's the one ?
Are there any particular brands and components that will be powered by the amp ?

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Reliability is perhaps not the best reference for purchasing an amplifier. Whilst all manufacturers can have issues with some of their products simply buying an amplifier based on this function alone doesn't mean it's going to fit in well with the rest of your set-up.
If concerns still apply check out their warranty period and keep it simple, that is just buy an amplifier and not an all in one wonder.
Thanks but that's not what I said, what I want to do is remove any Amps that are just not reliable, then I can listen to the others before making a choice that fits in with my system, please read it again.

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
What AL said.
To be honest with the info given any advice wouldn't really be much use, that is,if based on the question as it is has been put.
So you cannot demo the Cambridge what if we all said , ooh that's the one ?
Are there any particular brands and components that will be powered by the amp ?
Same again as I replied to Al, I will listen to them all, but if there's one that's not reliable then i will leave that out, even if everyone said it was the best sounding.

D

Deleted member 108165

They all have the potential to be unreliable that's what a good warranty is for. Check out which one has the longest warranty and go for that. I would imagine that if you trawled the net for user reviews on each amp they would all be bad as only bad news gets spread around.

I've only ever owned Marantz and their products have never let me down, but you could find that you are unlucky and get a dud one. Can't vouch for the rest of the amps as I've never owned them.

Reactions: Gray
I've owned amps from Marantz, Cambridge Audio, NAD, Arcam and Musical Fidelity. Longest owned ones lasted for twenty years without issues, and the only one to fail was a NAD C370 - a fuse blew almost straight away (fixed by dealer) and the unit itself lost a channel after twenty years whilst in my brother's care.

Amps have almost no moving parts, so reliability really shouldn't be an issue. You'd be unlucky if it were.

Reactions: DELBOY14
Thanks but that's not what I said, what I want to do is remove any Amps that are just not reliable, then I can listen to the others before making a choice that fits in with my system, please read it again.
Understood but don't think any amplifier I have owned has been what I would call unreliable. I would agree reviews are not really going to help as they tend to be one-off listens and not a long term appraisal.
If you're looking to buy new then most people will not have had the amplifier long enough to determine whether it is unreliable or not, if you see what I mean.

Reactions: Noddy
D

Deleted member 2457

I have found myself in a position where I need to buy another Amplifier.
At present I am looking at, Musical Fidelity M3si, Rega Elex-R, Marantz PM7000N, Audiolab 8300A, Quad Vena II.
There are no dealers near me to listen to the Cambridge CXA81 just in case you were wondering.

If any one would like to rate the reliability of these makes then it would help me to audition them with the weakest removed.
Thanks Delboy14
I get what you mean but don’t know about the amps, I would buy from a retailer where you can return it for sure just in case of any issues. (y)

D

Deleted member 2457

Somewhere like Richer Sounds, Sevenoaks or Frank Harvey HiFi would be a good choice, you could even phone them up and ask them which is more reliable, Richer Sounds warned me the Pioneer 4K Blu-Ray players were not reliable when I considered purchasing one and told me the Panasonic 4K flagship player was slightly more reliable but again not 100 per cent - very good advice they gave me. I would definitely always ask them.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Personally, I have a Rega amp that I used for nearly 20 years without a glitch.
I have been following hifi forums for the past 8 years or so and I don't recall issues generally with any of the brand's you mention and certainly not amplifiers.

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
The other thing you might consider is whether the manufacturer offers repairs and servicing for products after their warranty has expired. Those that do might give you some confidence that you won’t be left high and dry.

Do a bit of research on their websites and ask the relevant dealers and see what their thoughts are.

Reactions: Noddy and DELBOY14
The other thing you might consider is whether the manufacturer offers repairs and servicing for products after their warranty has expired. Those that do might give you some confidence that you won’t be left high and dry.

Do a bit of research on their websites and ask the relevant dealers and see what their thoughts are.
Always assuming those manufacturers actually remain in production......
Of course you could just find a decent electronics repair guy and ask him which brands he has never worked on....

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Understood but don't think any amplifier I have owned has been what I would call unreliable. I would agree reviews are not really going to help as they tend to be one-off listens and not a long term appraisal.
If you're looking to buy new then most people will not have had the amplifier long enough to determine whether it is unreliable or not, if you see what I mean.
Thanks, yeah you could be correct.

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Personally, I have a Rega amp that I used for nearly 20 years without a glitch.
I have been following hifi forums for the past 8 years or so and I don't recall issues generally with any of the brand's you mention and certainly not amplifiers.
Thanks, that's good advice makes me feel more confident when really I have no idea and just hate the thought that I would be selecting the wrong brand due to reliability.

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Well the deed is done, having listened to the Audiolab 8300A the Rega Elex R and the Musical Fidelity M3si it became very clear as to what one gave the best sound reproduction, It was my opinion after the first track that the M3si was by far the most detailed amp in its portrait of how instruments sounded as I could hear the difference with that first track and all the way through the album, not only that but it had very good control of the bass with bass guitar allowed to express its tone, even to the point of total decay, I could even hear a recorder being played that I could not have said before was a recorder.
I listened to two vinyl albums but only one side of each a few times so as not to get muddled up, when I got home I listened again plus played one CD. I am very pleased with the Amp and now await the delivery of the new one as the shop allowed me to bring home their demonstration model until next week.

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
I think the MF sound is very engaging, but you'll find it isn't just superficially attractive - hopefully you're in for a long and happy experience. (By which I mean sound-wise - I'd be staggered if you had any reliability issues.)
Thank you, I hope you right, Its nice to here someone with a MF say it should be reliable. I feel like a kid with a new toy and I don't care.

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Now just one small item.

So the M/F M3si is what I have, but its missing something.

Can anyone recommend a headphone Amp with volume control as the M3si has no socket for my Sennheiser HD565 Ovation's, late at night I must use these or be terrorised by my family.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts