Integrated Amplifier to fit Warfedale Linton's

miguelesteves

Dec 17, 2021
Visit site
I have a Rega IO connected to a pair of Warfedale Linton's. I'm looking for a better integrated amplifier that can give me more sound authority. The sound that I have now is rather thin.
After several reserches I arrived to the following list:
Marantz PM7000N
Quad Vena II
Denon 1600NE
Rega Elex-R
Marantz PM8006
Cambridge CXA81
Is there someone that have tried one of these amplifiers with the Lintons? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I have a Rega IO connected to a pair of Warfedale Linton's. I'm looking for a better integrated amplifier that can give me more sound authority. The sound that I have now is rather thin.
After several reserches I arrived to the following list:
Marantz PM7000N
Quad Vena II
Denon 1600NE
Rega Elex-R
Marantz PM8006
Cambridge CXA81
Is there someone that have tried one of these amplifiers with the Lintons? What are your thoughts? Thanks in advance.
A couple of weeks ago another member purchased 1st gen Leema Pulse to power his Linton Heritage. He loves the sound.

These Leemas can be picked up for between £400-700 on auction sites.

Reactions: Al ears

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Tbh DM, I've not heard the latest incarnation of Audiolab amps. The older ones were fairly mechanical sounding. You speak highly of the newer version.

I once had an 8000S when it was released many years ago and it was exactly that, mechanical. Sold it shortly afterwards.

The latest Audiolabs don't sound like many other entry level amplifiers (or previous Audiolabs). To my ears ... mature and well balanced. Certainly not cold or analytical. Good bass weight and control too. Great dynamics and it seems more powerful than it's rating.

It's not perfect of course and it doesn't quite have the solidity of presentation or detail of my Hegel but it's not far off ... at a third of the cost.

Denon's PMA 1600 or a Rega Brio, to mention two sound more show room but are less balanced or neutral overall. They will impose their character on everything you listen to. That may be a good thing if you like that but if you don't ... not so much. The Audiolab tells as is and thus a change of source, recording quality etc is clear. There is nothing harsh about it though, quite the opposite.

My Arcam SA20 too imposes it's sound, especially bass and some mid range warmth because of it on music and thus tends to homogenise a little. It's not unpleasant but likely not as accurate.

Not everyone will enjoy the Audiolab, but I have been in this hobby for a long time, heard/owned many amplifiers.

The Audiolab is one of the better ones imho at the cost and beyond. That it is also solidly built and featured just adds value.

I once had an 8000S when it was released many years ago and it was exactly that, mechanical. Sold it shortly afterwards.

The latest Audiolabs don't sound like many other entry level amplifiers (or previous Audiolabs). To my ears ... mature and well balanced. Certainly not cold or analytical. Good bass weight and control too. Great dynamics and it seems more powerful than it's rating.

It's not perfect of course and it doesn't quite have the solidity of presentation or detail of my Hegel but it's not far off ... at a third of the cost.

Denon's PMA 1600 or a Rega Brio, to mention two sound more show room but are less balanced or neutral overall. They will impose their character on everything you listen to. That may be a good thing if you like that but if you don't ... not so much. The Audiolab tells as is and thus a change of source, recording quality etc is clear. There is nothing harsh about it though, quite the opposite.

My Arcam SA20 too imposes it's sound, especially bass and some mid range warmth because of it on music and thus tends to homogenise a little. It's not unpleasant but likely not as accurate.

Not everyone will enjoy the Audiolab, but I have been in this hobby for a long time, heard/owned many amplifiers.

The Audiolab is one of the better ones imho at the cost and beyond. That it is also solidly built and featured just adds value.
Fair play. It sounds really good for reasonable money.

slavo86

Apr 18, 2014
Visit site
not sure of your budget but if going second hand and in line with the price of the models suggested, I'd also add:
naim xs2
roksan K3 (I have the K2 and think it's a solid amp)
another vote for the rega amps
hegel h80
sugden a21
exposure 3010s2d

TRENDING THREADS