Question Reliability

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Now just one small item.

So the M/F M3si is what I have, but its missing something.

Can anyone recommend a headphone Amp with volume control as the M3si has no socket for my Sennheiser HD565 Ovation's, late at night I must use these or be terrorised by my family.
Do you have a budget in mind?
Second hand I would recommend the Creek OBH21, see eBay or new the Schitt Magni Mk3, classic quality.....

Reactions: DELBOY14

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Do you have a budget in mind?
Second hand I would recommend the Creek OBH21, see eBay or new the Schitt Magni Mk3, classic quality.....
LOOKING A schitt is a waste of time, there is no stock as the factory is closed, but I did note that Lehmann have a good product in the Rhinelander at £335, unfortunately that's now discontinued when i tried to buy one, dam had good reviews to. Anyway I tried to purchases from a online shop as it was suppose to be instock, then got a call saying they could do the new Drachenfels at a very good discount to compensate.
I looked this up and its again very well rated so going with that, even has add in cards for a DAC via S/PDIF or Toslink or a USB card for the PC or laptop.

LOOKING A schitt is a waste of time, there is no stock as the factory is closed, but I did note that Lehmann have a good product in the Rhinelander at £335, unfortunately that's now discontinued when i tried to buy one, dam had good reviews to. Anyway I tried to purchases from a online shop as it was suppose to be instock, then got a call saying they could do the new Drachenfels at a very good discount to compensate.
I looked this up and its again very well rated so going with that, even has add in cards for a DAC via S/PDIF or Toslink or a USB card for the PC or laptop.
Lehmann usually a safe bet but not cheap.
This Rhinelander says available now but I don't know if that's B.S., although dealer is a good one.

daytona600

Sennheiser at shows demo with Lehmann headphone amps MF make a full range as well & graham slee & project have quality ranges
M3 excellent amp maybe not the most impressive in a quick dealer dem but like most MF gear you can listen for decades

DELBOY14

May 6, 2017
Visit site
Sennheiser at shows demo with Lehmann headphone amps MF make a full range as well & graham slee & project have quality ranges
M3 excellent amp maybe not the most impressive in a quick dealer dem but like most MF gear you can listen for decades
Is a three hour demo a quick dealer demo ? impressed me enough over a 8300A and a Elex-R. Plus it was just over my budget. Still everyone to there own.
Ended up with a Lehmann Drachenfels, very impressed with my Sennheiser 565 ovations, will have to listen to the new 660s and wait for funds to build up after the M3si, Drachenfels and chord Shawline RCAs.

Reactions: Al ears

Bea3

Apr 7, 2023
Visit site
I have found myself in a position where I need to buy another Amplifier.
At present I am looking at, Musical Fidelity M3si, Rega Elex-R, Marantz PM7000N, Audiolab 8300A, Quad Vena II.
There are no dealers near me to listen to the Cambridge CXA81 just in case you were wondering.

If any one would like to rate the reliability of these makes then it would help me to audition them with the weakest removed.
Thanks Delboy14
Hi, yes reliability is an issue and there is very little on the Internet on the Reviews. With all the electronic stuff and life , it is especially short for audio equipment. I spent thousands $ on Rotel, and would I buy Rotel again? NO! The "oil based volume control" often turns up instead of down, very annoying for others and myself. Sometimes so loud my neighbors can hear it.
My Rotel PreAmp just shuts down at any one time, then there is a time that goes well, and then one of the electronics say, I had enough and turns off.
I still have some old stuff and will reinstate them.

it is especially short for audio equipment
I'd completely disagree with that - pretty much everything I've ever bought is still working, here or in other people's houses. The odd blown fuse, but that's par for the course (and as they didn't cost £4.2k, so what?)

This thread is three years old though - if you specifically want to discuss Rotel's reliability it might make sense to start a fresh thread.

nads

Good reliable amps may well have very little to do with the current versions. Factory’s may have changed owners may have changed…….

if you want one that is reliable I would not be looking at new as they are all unknown at the moment.

podknocker

I have found myself in a position where I need to buy another Amplifier.
At present I am looking at, Musical Fidelity M3si, Rega Elex-R, Marantz PM7000N, Audiolab 8300A, Quad Vena II.
There are no dealers near me to listen to the Cambridge CXA81 just in case you were wondering.

If any one would like to rate the reliability of these makes then it would help me to audition them with the weakest removed.
Thanks Delboy14
I had a Quad Vena 2 and although it was small, built like a tank and had all the connectivity I needed, the volume control went wrong, just after the warranty had expired. IAG wanted over £100 to repair and return, but I declined. Had a few issues with IAG products. They own so many brands and I feel they have lost focus, especially with their part sourcing and quality control.

Hi, yes reliability is an issue and there is very little on the Internet on the Reviews. With all the electronic stuff and life , it is especially short for audio equipment. I spent thousands $ on Rotel, and would I buy Rotel again? NO! The "oil based volume control" often turns up instead of down, very annoying for others and myself. Sometimes so loud my neighbors can hear it.
My Rotel PreAmp just shuts down at any one time, then there is a time that goes well, and then one of the electronics say, I had enough and turns off.
I still have some old stuff and will reinstate them.
digging up old threads is best avoided.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts