Rega RX1s

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Rega's 'Classic Album Sundays' will soon be the only affordable way to listen to music on their equipment!

The RX1 replacements for their old RS1 speakers are now £798 (ouch!)

That's almost double the £438 cost of the outgoing RS1s.

RX3s will be £1298 per pair! (Rega RS3s £778 and R3s about £398 when I bought my first ones around 2008.)

A Rega TT, Rega amp and speakers used to be a really good and cheap way into hi-fi. (Think RP2 + cartridge + Brio-3 + R1s for less than £800 - including stands and wires - not so many years ago.)

I guess they have lost sight of their roots.

matthewpiano

This is why I'm in the process of re-completing my Rega system, before the kit moves out of my reach (well, that and the fact that nothing else at the price matches it for sheer musicality).

I have been informed that the sound signature of the new drivers used in the RX-series is quite different. As I very much like my RS1s, I'll stick with those!

What has always surprised me is Rega have only offered one standmount. Usually companies produce a budget entry-level standmount/bookshelf speaker (around the £400-£500 bracket), then a midrange of about £1100-£1500.

Given the success of the Elex-R and Elicit-R that Rega haven't introduced a higher quality standmount. I know the RX1 has been hiked to around £800, still feel there's a healthy market for a premium standmount.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Rega's 'Classic Album Sundays' will soon be the only affordable way to listen to music on their equipment!

The RX1 replacements for their old RS1 speakers are now £798 (ouch!)

That's almost double the £438 cost of the outgoing RS1s.
Maybe hearing them first is a good idea? They're not just tweaked drivers.

I guess they have lost sight of their roots.
Quality costs. I think this is the first Rega speaker range to use thick cabinets - at least 12mm I think. So I think it's less about 'preserving their roots', and more about continuing to offer high quality product. They've nailed turntables and electronics at the moment - it'd be pointless and silly bringing out a substandard speaker range.

matthewpiano

There was nothing sub-standard about the RS range David. The RS1s are as good as anything else under £500 and a damn sight more natural and involving than most. I've also heard few floorstanders as musically enthralling as the RS3 under £1k.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
They've nailed turntables and electronics at the moment ...

To be fair they use self tapping screws (especially to mount arms that used to be secured with a whacking great big thread and nut) but yes, nails are probably next.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
There was nothing sub-standard about the RS range David. The RS1s are as good as anything else under £500 and a damn sight more natural and involving than most. I've also heard few floorstanders as musically enthralling as the RS3 under £1k.
I'm certainly not implying they were substandard, but their cabinets were never of the thickest construction - there are many speaker designs around that are similar in this way. In my opinion, you can't beat even a basic Rega system for pure enjoyment.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I'm certainly not implying they were substandard, but their cabinets were never of the thickest construction - there are many speaker designs around that are similar in this way. In my opinion, you can't beat even a basic Rega system for pure enjoyment.

Many superb designs utilise even thinner cabinets (Harbeth, Spendor Classics for example). Weight is not necessarily indictitive of quality.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
Many superb designs utilise even thinner cabinets (Harbeth, Spendor Classics for example). Weight is not necessarily indictitive of quality.
Nope, but helps. As with all things, if it is designed well to work with the materials used, then all is good. Thicker, stronger cabinets do help though.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I suppose in time we will get a better idea of how this new range is judged as reviews start to appear and customers get demo's. But I am surprised that the RX1's are £200 more than a Brio-r, an all Rega entry system with TT or CDP may no longer be judged as a budget system.

matthewpiano

plastic penguin said:
Given Rega's sparsity in the bookshelf range I wonder what standmounts Rega dealers recommend for the Osiris range?
I've heard KEF Reference floorstanders sound very nice with the Osiris and also PMC Fact 8s, so I don't think there is any lack of suitable models from other manufacturers out there. The Osiris is a stunning amp but, alas, one I'll never be able to afford.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

man.. I have a nice collection of your signatures in pictures .. I do show those pictures to people when they show me their cheesy pictures found on the web and then we have a good laugh.

keep them coming

matthewpiano

lpv said:
matthewpiano said:

man.. I have a nice collection of your signatures in pictures .. I do show those pictures to people when they show me their cheesy pictures found on the web and then we have a good laugh.

keep them coming
That's more than a bit sad lpv. Have you nothing better to do? I won't be keeping them coming. I'm re-assembling my Rega system (half of which I never parted with anyway) and then that's it. That might even be it with this forum to be honest. I've had enough turmoil this year, without the thought of someone sat there having a laugh at my expense.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
lpv said:
matthewpiano said:

keep them coming
That's more than a bit sad lpv. Have you nothing better to do? I won't be keeping them coming. I'm re-assembling my Rega system (half of which I never parted with anyway) and then that's it. That might even be it with this forum to be honest. I've had enough turmoil this year, without the thought of someone sat there having a laugh at my expense.

and you've done it again man you have adjusted your signature.. it hit me about 2 years ago when I first came here and saw you are changing signatures every few days and keep promising you'll be done soon and you just have said that now...

wow.. and you calling me bit sad?

and the others here? who cares you have 128gb iPad guys? who cares your iPad got 128 flipping gb of storage?!?!?!?! is that important or even not important?

wow... just WOW

Have I nothing better to do???

By doing what you're doing in public, by your activity you are asking to be tracked man and your activity is noticed by me and I have fun and when I put all your signatures ( with dates) as a slideshow and others have fun too I assure you of that.

So tell me.. why on earth you update with such an accuracy & precision your signatures?

you don't want to be noticed by doing this? every time I read your post your new signature jump on me so I DO TAKE NOTICE.

matthewpiano

I would never have imagined anybody could be so utterly ridiculous and immature as to 'track' and poke fun at someone sharing their experience of hi-fi on a HI-FI FORUM! Who the heck do you think you are?

Anyway, forget it. You'll notice I've deleted my signature and it is now staying that way.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
By doing what you're doing in public, by your activity you are asking to be tracked man and your activity is noticed by me and I have fun and when I put all your signatures ( with dates) as a slideshow and others have fun too I assure you of that.

matthewpiano said:
You'll notice I've deleted my signature and it is now staying that way.

Well i'm not changing or deleting my signature just because someone is threatening to 'track' me or finds it laughable / ridiculous that I list the storage capacity of my main source. It's important to me and is one of the main reasons I bought it. It has room to sync a decent sized library to it without making selections. (Especially useful in recent months when it was my sole musical source in hospital.)

Shame on you Matthew for caving in to hiim.

His post constitutes an attack (albeit a 'creepy' attack) and you should email What Hi-fi or JD to see about moderating that post.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Matthew - please dont take any notice of a very small minority.

Your posts are informative and interesting, and all the more so because you choose to swap kit that the majority are likely to be able to afford.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
I would never have imagined anybody could be so utterly ridiculous and immature as to 'track' and poke fun at someone sharing their experience of hi-fi on a HI-FI FORUM! Who the heck do you think you are?

Anyway, forget it. You'll notice I've deleted my signature and it is now staying that way.

Ok, ok.. I'll keep watching.

Matthew - Chebby, your good self and I are amongst some of the oldest members, and if someone spouts rubbish towards your bundles either ignore them or press the report button. Don't cave into small mindedness.

Reintroduce your sig and let them worry about it.

chebby said:
lpv said:

matthewpiano said:

Well i'm not changing or deleting my signature just because someone is threatening to 'track' me or finds it laughable / ridiculous that I list the storage capacity of my main source. It's important to me and is one of the main reasons I bought it. It has room to sync a decent sized library to it without making selections. (Especially useful in recent months when it was my sole musical source in hospital.)

His post constitutes an attack (albeit a 'creepy' attack) and you should email What Hi-fi or JD to see about moderating that post.

I've mailed JD.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
lpv said:

matthewpiano said:

I've mailed JD.

Ohhhhhhh... this is so cute.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts