Rega RS5 speakers

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok just received my RS5s 2nd hand . Expected cosmetic damage for £400 but one mid range cone split so have asked for refund of that amount . But also both tweeters centres are pushed in . Is it worth attempting repair if they seem to work ok ?

I can get a mid range for £50 prob next day from Rayleigh hi fi as I'm local.

Missus not happy - says I'm an idiot - perhaps she's right......

Will do a review when I get them working :wall:

phil

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
re: they are purely dust covers, albeit very annoying - you could try and get them out with stick tape or a very low powered vacum.

I would be asking £40-50 refund for each tweeter too as these can be replaced too

If you can get them repaired and they work as they should and you get a refund for the tweters then seems you have a bargain - nice speakers btw

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Just pulled most of tweeter centres back out , so with a cotton bud I sHould be able to sort them.

Next comes mid replacement then I can try them out ......

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
re: they are purely dust covers, albeit very annoying - you could try and get them out with stick tape or a very low powered vacum.

I would be asking £40-50 refund for each tweeter too as these can be replaced too

If you can get them repaired and they work as they should and you get a refund for the tweters then seems you have a bargain - nice speakers btw

Not exactly. The dome is the radiating part of the tweeter. Whilst the effect of 'crumbled' tweeter domes is not known to me personally, in theory imaging/diffraction etc could be affected by it.

Some tweeters are two part, where the magnet assembly can be separated from the dome. If so, a satisfactory repair is easier by pushing it out from the inside rather than trying the same with tape/hoovers etc from the outside.

regards

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Can pick up the new Mid range today from Rayleigh Hi Fi . Will then try out with the 'repaired' tweeters . If ok I will leave for a while , although new Rega tweeters are only about £28 each. If not OK I may try to 'improve' my repair with cotton bud and duck tape .

Quite surprised at reasonable prices for Rega parts considering the total speaker price. £28 for new front grilles - not bad at all .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
goalhanger said:
Can pick up the new Mid range today from Rayleigh Hi Fi . Will then try out with the 'repaired' tweeters . If ok I will leave for a while , although new Rega tweeters are only about £28 each. If not OK I may try to 'improve' my repair with cotton bud and duck tape .

Quite surprised at reasonable prices for Rega parts considering the total speaker price. £28 for new front grilles - not bad at all .

Maybe because they are based in Essex? You maybe able to get direct from the Rega factory in Southend?

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Rega dont deal direct with anyone , but spares prices are very reasonable I think. RHiFi got the RR125 for £49 and picked it up for me same day plus the front grilles.

Fitted the driver last night and tried out with Marantz PM6003 and my old Philips CD player using v.old but thick cables ( no make known) .

I didnt have much time but played a Caro Emerald CD for a few tracks. Sounded very un-coloured and clear and detailed . I think they sounded very good but the wifey says they sounded a bit 'thin' . Hmm, think she means they didnt fill the room and I do see what she means , although didnt play too them too loud.

I wonder what you clever guys out there think. Room is 12' x 23' and the are currently sitting either side of a bookcase , woofers facing out but 1 is only 10" from chimney stack. They also face across the room - difficult room to use with big bay window at one end.

Maybe my Marantz is too laid back ? CD player could definately do with improvement , would a Sony BDP470 improve matters as that my TV unit. And also I may invest in the Rega Quattro cable ? And finally - I wondered about bi-amping them from my AV amp - Yamaha RX-V667 ?

This hi fi business start to get complicated doesnt it
help.gif

Another thing I might do is use my Grado SR80i's as a giude as they are perfect (for me )....

Phil

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yep do a bit of experimenting witht he drivers facing inwards & outwards!

A better amp willl pay dividends too.

BTW Rega Quattro spkr cable is fine too

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
So I rigged speakers to the Yamaha 667 last night as Zone 2 . But couldnt try TV as no analogue out on TV or Tivo . But tried a DVD through the Sony BDP 470 and much better than through the old Philips CD player . Voices are delightful, and there is no extraneaous filling in of the sound - when its quiet its quiet.

Problem I have for positioning is they are placed either side of a bookcase and so if I have then facing inwards they are only 2" away from the bookcase - I am presuming this is not ideal ! Maybe changing bookcase in future so there are possibilities . I may pull them out from the wall at the weekend to try wizzing them round. Got the Mother In Law staying at the mo recuperating from Op so bit awkward.

Will definitely be looking at Rega Quattro cable - Christmas is coming . Just need to determine length I need. I will get enough to Bi-Amp if I decide to use the RS5s as my TV speaker as well. I will need un-terminated as connections on my amp arent designed to accept jacks. Probably put jacks on speaker ends for convenience.

Will also try to find time to run the old Technics SL-B2 Deck through the AV and see what thats like .

Ta

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Almost any loudspeakers benefit from not having furniture between them.

Given the constraints of your room - and circumstances - I don't think the Rega RS5s are the best idea.

For a while I had to have my Rega R3s pulled forward about 14" to bring them clear of a book cabinet. Now I am able to have them as close to the wall as the plinth and rear connections allow and have the bass drivers facing each with no obstruction. (No 'toe-in' either.)

It makes all the difference. Not just to bass but to imaging (when I can be bothered to sit facing them properly rather than off-axis).

Rega R and RS speakers are not too 'picky' regarding distance from wall but they like clear space between them (bass drivers facing in) and at least a couple of feet distance from any corners (bass drivers facing out).

Bass drivers pointing outwards are best if you want (or need) to 'toe-in' (angle) the speakers towards you. With bass drivers facing inwards I find they are best facing straight on (no 'toe-in').

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Ok, well got in and stuck a Bruno Mars on and blow me down if the other mid has gone too.... The cone has separated from the rubber.

Yet another email to cash converters and a call to Rayleigh hi fi to order another new RS125 . Well Cash Converters got back and have offered me back £150 which I think is fair. That should cover both Mids plus frt grilles .

Just gotta wait for the driver to come in and I'll get back to my listening test.......

Nothings ever easy is it.

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Got both new mid drivers in now . Have ordered Rega Quattro cable to replace v.old but thick unnamed cable.

Gonna try out with vinyl this weekend .

goalhanger

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
Well havent got the rega cable yet but i tried out the old Technics SL-B2 deck with an Ortofon VMS-20E cartridge . Didnt have long and so rigged up through the Yamaha RX-V667 phono input using Zone 2 for speaker output . Only tried 1 album but what a difference - suddenly all the mid range is there and so much better to listen to compared to the CDs or BluRays through the Sony BDP-470. I wasnt expecting such a big difference.

Do you think this difference between vinyl and CD is due to the Sony playback or purely vinyl vs CD ? I dont think the Amp will make any difference running through Phono or CD inputs?

In other words should I be seeking a better playback for the CDs ? I do like to play music DVDs so was hoping I could get good sound this way but maybe not good enough !

Wonder now what difference the Rega cable will make , if any .

I also have the Marantz PM6003 standing by which I could use with the pre-outs on the Yamaha ? But not sure if thats worth doing .

Phil

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts