I should know better - have I wrecked my speaker?

scene

OK, I'm an idiot - I'll freely admit and I should know better, but here's what happened...

We're having an extension built and, as a result, walls are getting knocked down and furniture needs to be moved around. So I need to to take down my surround speakers - a pair of MA RXFX. Now I should have got a ladder, or at least stood on a stool, but as they are just over my head I thought - no problemo. I carefully removed the speaker grilles - as recommended by MA before moving - took down the RHS speaker OK. But, the left hand one was a little snugger on the wall and it came off a little suddenly and I fumbled it :x and it pitched forward and hit the top of a bookcase near it (the reason it was being moved)... :(

So, the upshot is that the the rubber gasket round the large mid-range speaker is dented and there is a slight dent to the c-cam speaker cone :cry:

Question is - have I wrecked my speaker? The damage to the cone looks minor, though there is definitely some distortion and the gasket has a flattish 3-4cm bit. Can I get it repaired? Do I just need to replace the speaker? Help!

Xanderzdad

Jun 25, 2008
Visit site
To be honest the only way to be sure is to listen to it as you may (if you're really lucky) find that it is fine.

I have had two speakers damaged physically over the years. On one the the damage was very subtle and cosmetic whilst on the other it looked just like my two year old had poked it with his finger (not surprsing really since that is what he did!).

On the more obviously damaged speaker (pushed in cone) the sound was almost unaltered. The subtly damaged speaker though sounded awful and I could not listen without cringing.

scene

Thanks Xanderzdad - Unfortunately, the building work precludes doing any proper testing for the next several weeks...

I might try to jury rig it, just to hear what it sounds like though...

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
You may get lucky this happened to me once, where my dog ran after a ball and knocked over my speaker. It had a dent but it was ok...phew. Dont worry until you have tested it out and by all means dont rush to buy another one just yet :)

scene

Well, I emailed the nice people at Monitor Audio with my tail of woe before Christmas. I got an automated reply, that they were all out of the office for the week - I think they were all at a show! Didn't think much more about it, with Christmas to sort out and the events that have overtaken me afterwards. But they did reply (I missed the email)and they've basically said, given my description of the damage, that the damage won't unduly affect the speaker's performance :dance:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts