Rega RP1 Queen or used RP3?

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Having decided to upgrade my Planar 3/R200/MP110 turntable I reserved one of the RP1 "Queen" turntables, yet to be auditioned, but have just found a 3 year old RP3/303 with a Carbon cartridge, for £300. Could the "Queen" version, which has the Performance Pack fitted, be as good as an RP3?

I thought I'd use my Nagaoka MP110 on whichever deck I buy. I was tempted to push the boat out and go for a new RP3/Elys, but at £300 the used RP3 is very tempting.

Searching the net, it seems that the Carbon isn't too bad, and can be upgraded relatively easily, but so can my MP110, so I'm very tempted to go for the RP3, but would audition the Queen deck first.

Advice will be gratefully received and evaluated.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Disregarding performance for a moment, when you eventually go to upgrade the Queen TT I think it will be worthless. (Much less than a normal RP1 of the same age/condition anyway.)

If you are a massive Queen fan - and prepared to take a hit on it's eventual residual value - then go for it.

I could be wrong. Maybe Queen are vastly more cool/hip than I realised and your limited edition TT will soar in value.

Personally? I'd take neither and look on ebay for a nice Thorens if I needed a turntable.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Chebby's advice is sound provided your know what your looking at on ebay and are familair with Thorens - personally I wouldnt buy a TT off eBay unless you could view & collect it.

The RP3 is a signifacant upgrade over the RP1 - wouldnt even bother auditioning the RP1. It has a better platter and more importantly the RB303 is a very good arm on a deck this price. The RP1 will never sound as good as a stock RP3 even with the wool mat & belt.

Your Nagaoka MP110 would go nicely on the the RP3 - you can also add a TT PSU at a later date that will add another improvement.

Above only my opinion though - and yes I have owned both the RP1 & RP3 and the Nag cartridge

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Personally? I'd take neither and look on ebay for a nice Thorens if I needed a turntable.

You're talking my language of course but I think we probably both agree used turntables off eBay can be a bit of minefield if you don't know what you're looking for and (even if you do) you can't check it out first.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I, too, respect Chebby's advice, but also agree with your assessment about buying from Ebay - I'd much prefer to see and hear any purchases before committing. I'd probably have to pay more for a Thorens, or similar. You get into a situation where you find an item, then find something slightly dearer, but better, then it just escalates, and you end up blowing your budget if you're not careful.

Resale values are unlikely to be a worry to me, being in my 70s, but I take Chebby's point; an item of high original worth and rarity may retain its desirability, but the RP1 has neither. I'm not a Queen fan to the extent that I've got any of their albums, other than Queen 1 & 2, which I like.

You may gather that, having had my Planar 3 from new, I'm happy with Rega, so although there are many alternatives available, this used RP3 is only a couple of miles away, so easily checked out. The original cartridge from the RP3 has gone onto an LP12, hence the Carbon.

I also respect your advice and reasoning, too, Stevebrock, and it seems that my thoughts are in the right direction.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
If you're convinced about the working condition of the second-hand deck, go for the RP3. As Steve says, it's a major improvement over the RP1 - not just a few tweaks; I think pretty much every component on the RP3 is better than its equivalent on the RP1. And of course a new deck will lose value over time; your RP3 has already done that, so should hold its current value better. And you have a cartridge ready to fit on it. Sounds like a good plan to me. I have an RP3 and have been very happy with it, first with the factory-fitted Elys 2 and now with a Nagaoka MP-200. Its an excellent deck for the price.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
It looks like my initial thoughts in favour of the RP3 are the way to go, but I just wondered if anyone would offer support in favour of the Performance Pack RP1, but obviously not. And it'll always be an RP1, even with the Queen artwork.

So, I'll be looking to buy an RP3/RB303, in the near future.

Once again, many thanks for your inputs, they're much appreciated.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
The RP1 performance pack is a good little earner for Rega - but really offers nothing in terms of a performance upgrade !

It would be criminal to forego the RP3 at £300 in favour of the RP1 & Performance pack.

The RB303 arm alone is worth £300

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Too right, Stevebrock, it is - I'm convinced.

I did contemplate an arm change on my current Planar 3, and the 303 was one I considered, but with that arm plus a motor upgrade I'd be looking at the cost of a brand new RP3, so £300 is a no-brainer, really.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Just to tidy this post, I've bought the RP3, installed my MP110, and am currently working my way through my vinyl collection. I'm certain that I made the right decision, as it sounds considerably better than my Planar 3, whether via speakers or phones.

Voices and instruments are better defined, with an airier sound, the sound stage is better, with an almost 3D-like quality on phones, giving height and depth; more detail is in evidence, too, with more of the sound quality only available at live concerts. Surface noise has almost totally gone, giving an almost CD-like quality, even on some of my old records, the absence of noise initially took me by surprise. Hopefully, things will continue to improve over the next couple of days, too.

I must admit, cartridge installation is much easier with detachable headshells, but I think it's in the right place.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
GeoffreyW said:
I must admit, cartridge installation is much easier with detachable headshells, but I think it's in the right place.

Rega produce a 'cartridge' alignment tool' for the RP3 - basically, a sheet of card with some lines printed on it. I'm pretty sure you can download a PDF of it from their site.

Rest assured that, now you've got the MP-110 installed, it'll be a lot easier when you need to change the stylus, as you can simply slip the stylus off the cartridge and slip the new one on!

It's great to hear that you're so delighted with the results. So was I when I moved up from Planar 2 / Bias to RP3 / Elys 2 a couple of years ago.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
TSP, I got a similar card with my Planar 3, for the R200, and which I still have, but didn't use as I wasn't sure whether it would work for the 303? I was given, as well as downloading my own, the Stevenson protractor from Vinyl Engine, which I used to line up the cartridge. I did rescale it in order to achieve the required dimension (140mm?) I'll contact Rega, and see if they'll let me have one.

And, I've already had the stylus from the body, just to see...

I have to say that there's significantly less surface noise on my old vinyl, which has been unplayed for some time for this reason.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts