Would a Rega Planar 3 and CXA61 sound better than CDs?

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Hi! I'm planning on getting my first Turntable, I would like to get a better sound than CDs at least.
My current setup is this:
Cambridge Audio CXA61 with Q Acoustics 3020i speakers, a subwoofer.
A standard Sony Blu ray player hooked up up via optical output to the CXA61 to play CDs.
So far, the best quality I get is from CDs.

Rega Planar 3 with a Nagaoka MP110 cartridge and a Cambridge Audio Solo or Schiit Mani Phono PreAmp (haven't bought them yet but Im going this way, haven't decided on the Phono Pre Amp yet)

Would this be sufficient to get a better sound quality than the one I get by playing CDS through my bluray player?
thank you very much!

So far, the best quality I get is from CDs.
What else have you tried?

Playing records is natural for me, because I grew up with them. Cassettes and radio tuner were alternatives in the 1970s!
Nowadays, streaming is the obvious alternative to CD, unless you like the collectibility of LPs. They’re typically twice to three times the cost of a CD. You might love the sound of a Rega Planar or you might wonder what all the fuss is about. Only you can discover that!

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Vinyl is over rated. I had a fully tricked out and modified Rega P3-24 with a high level Naim phonostage, with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.
I traded the table for a REga DAC. The REga DAC sounded as good as the Rega table without the hassle of vinyl. Get a better CD player or get a good streamer. Your Blu Ray player is holding you back.

Reactions: Slow John

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Manicm is probably correct if you don't already loads of vinyl.
However, the sound would be different, only you could say if it was 'better'

"Different" is good enough. I agree with you on the subjective appreciation of sound.
I do have hundreds of vinyls, used to play them on a very very basic TT. This is going to be my first real TT, I know it isn't on the high end but definitely I'm expecting more dynamics, more soundstage, more warmth, etc for over a thousand dollars spent.
Thank you for taking your time and replying Al.

Reactions: Slow John

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Vinyl is over rated. I had a fully tricked out and modified Rega P3-24 with a high level Naim phonostage, with an Ortofon 2M Black cartridge.
I traded the table for a REga DAC. The REga DAC sounded as good as the Rega table without the hassle of vinyl. Get a better CD player or get a good streamer. Your Blu Ray player is holding you back.

Thanks for your reply Surly Sid! Thing is I already have hundreds of LPs, I love them and all the ritual about LPs. I've been collecting them since I was 11 or 12 (Im 40 now). I just never had the chance to invest in Hifi. I recently decided to give it a try and bought some entry level gear I described earlier in the post. Loving every second of this hobby!
The bluray holding me back is a great piece of advice. I will get myself a streamer or proper cd player in the future. I have a decent amount of CDs as well which I do not want to get rid of.

Reactions: Surly Sid

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Vinyl from a digital source will be same as CD some are just cd master pressed to vinyl
Records from a analogue source either used or audiophile labels will be much better than CD version
Hey daytona600! TY for your reply!
That was a very simple and understandable answer! I think I totally understand what you said and agree 100%
Your comment made me think about my current setup with which I found out some great albums that were very poorly recorded or mixed/mastered. I'm a musician myself and am happy to find out that some of my own songs were better recorded than some of the albums of my favorite artists. Ha!
I find it great to rediscover these albums, listen to them in an almost garage-ish kind of sound and then play other albums that I hadn't paid much attention to in the past just to hear how incredibly clear and dynamic they are.

I enjoy listening to CDs but I would also love to listen to my LPs with a fair TT sound wise. As Al Ears said, a good TT should sound "different", I'm not expecting better or worse, but I DO expect a good quality when listening to LPs when I'm spending over a thousand dollars.

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
So, after all your great replies.
Do you think the Rega Planar 3 + Nagaoka MP110 and a 150-200$ Phono PreAmp would let me appreciate nuances in LPs such as clarity, dynamics, wider soundstage, warmth?
I can absolutely can tell the difference between a bluetooth spotify song played through my CXA61 and a CD played through the same amp. I DO consider the spotify songs to sound worse than cds. In my country Tidal is not available that's why I use spotify.
Is it possible that my LPs suffer this drop in quality with the TT setup I'm planning to get? Or is it possible that it sounds just as good as a cd but with a different characteristic?
Hope you're all safe!

Hawkwind16

May 22, 2016
Visit site
CD is the perfect sound apparently, because its pure digital. Although some people don't like CD because it's too perfect.
And you can even eat your dinner off Cd's, much more durable than vinyl and easier to store.

Reactions: Arsenio Erico

manicm

Do you think the Rega Planar 3 + Nagaoka MP110 and a 150-200$ Phono PreAmp would let me appreciate nuances in LPs such as clarity, dynamics, wider soundstage, warmth?
I can absolutely can tell the difference between a bluetooth spotify song played through my CXA61 and a CD played through the same amp. I DO consider the spotify songs to sound worse than cds. In my country Tidal is not available that's why I use spotify.
Is it possible that my LPs suffer this drop in quality with the TT setup I'm planning to get? Or is it possible that it sounds just as good as a cd but with a different characteristic?
Hope you're all safe!

Definitely get the Rega Planar 3, but I would cough up a bit more for Rega's own Elys 2 cartridge - why hold yourself back if you have so much vinyl to spin?

While you at it get Rega's own Fono MM preamp too. I know I've suggested an all Rega set but there seems to be great synergy between these components.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Speaking as an RP3 owner, I had an MP110, which I improved with an MP200 stylus, and a metal subplatter, and, like you, have been amazed at just how much detail is lurking in the grooves of those old LPs, and which is recovered as equipment improves.
A good phono stage will definitely help, and the Rega is a good place to start. I find that vinyl sounds different from cd, more I timate, or involving, but only your ears will tell. Too much choice of equipment doesn't help, either.

Definitely get the Rega Planar 3, but I would cough up a bit more for Rega's own Elys 2 cartridge - why hold yourself back if you have so much vinyl to spin?

While you at it get Rega's own Fono MM preamp too. I know I've suggested an all Rega set but there seems to be great synergy between these components.
you a 're right here in only one respect and that it is troublesome trying to fit a Nagaoka to the Rega tonearm.
Synergy is often not the best spend at this price level

Pokey

Mar 18, 2020
Visit site
If it's any help, I'm using a Rega Planar 3 with an Elys 2 cartridge and in my opinion this is a great sounding combination – I'm surprised again and again just how much punch and treble can be in a well mastered LP when listening to it on that system. Can't comment on the MP110 though, never tried it. I'm using a Cambridge Audio CP1 pre amp by the way, which is great value imho. The rest of the system is a NAD M10 integrated amp and B&W 805 D3 speakers, if you're curious.

Hope you're all safe!
All formats have their merits, but vinyl is very different. I suppose what will decide is which format takes priority. My main format is vinyl so I deliberately didn't go the full hog with the CD player. The cost of a expensive CD player couldn't be justified .

daytona600

$1000 Assume you are in the states Mofi Studiodeck would be a much better bet than a P3

MoFi has done its homework and produced a gem of a basic deck. I was not prepared for such an instant dose of sheer delight. You all know the sensation when caught unawares by a product that defies its price category with magical sounds, and the StudioDeck is one of them. For nervous newcomers in sore need of a user-friendly, painless introduction to proper vinyl playback, this is a no-brainer."
—Ken Kessler, Hi-Fi News

$1000 Assume you are in the states Mofi Studiodeck would be a much better bet than a P3

MoFi has done its homework and produced a gem of a basic deck. I was not prepared for such an instant dose of sheer delight. You all know the sensation when caught unawares by a product that defies its price category with magical sounds, and the StudioDeck is one of them. For nervous newcomers in sore need of a user-friendly, painless introduction to proper vinyl playback, this is a no-brainer."
—Ken Kessler, Hi-Fi News
Unfortunately I think he might be in Paraguay.....not sure what they would cost there.

manicm

you a 're right here in only one respect and that it is troublesome trying to fit a Nagaoka to the Rega tonearm.
Synergy is often not the best spend at this price level

This is budget to mid-price level. And the Rega Elys seems better than a similar priced Ortofon. The Fono MM seems a very neutral phono stage too. Another reason is that the Regas are generally spacious and open, which is what the OP wants, with no compromise of rhythm or speed.

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site

The rega Phono you mentioned would be the Fono mini a2d mm? Just to read a bit more about it and compare it with the Cambridge Audio Alva Solo and the Shiit Mani which are the only two options I have shortlisted so far. Thank you for your contribution! Cheers!

Arsenio Erico

Jun 28, 2020
Visit site
Speaking as an RP3 owner, I had an MP110, which I improved with an MP200 stylus, and a metal subplatter, and, like you, have been amazed at just how much detail is lurking in the grooves of those old LPs, and which is recovered as equipment improves.
A good phono stage will definitely help, and the Rega is a good place to start. I find that vinyl sounds different from cd, more I timate, or involving, but only your ears will tell. Too much choice of equipment doesn't help, either.
Thanks for your reply! It is really helpful since you actually own an rp3.
MP200 is almost 600$ on Amazon, right now that is way above my budget. MP110 is 150$, I could go up to 200$ max.
I started my hifi route in July and it can be overwhelming when you don't have the possibility to actually listen and try something before buying, specially sound wise since it is extremely subjective. I live in South America and the local stores where I can find some equipment won't let me audition anything because of the pandemic. That leaves me entirely to reviews and opinions from people like you.
I plan to stop getting stuff after my TT is set and running at home and then start enjoying music, buying more records, and relax. (We all know that a few months later I will be out in the market looking for better speakers ha!)

TRENDING THREADS