Rega question

This may seem like a daft question, given one of my preferred dealers is a major Rega outlet, can someone explain the tonal qualities of Rega equipment?

Arcam is smooth and generally languid and Cyrus has a biting presentation but I've never heard any Rega stuff, apart from a turntable (I think) about 15 years ago.

Ta, pp.

Considering I have to do a 30 mile round trip, in the suburbs, and ask them to rig up a Rega system to tell them: "By the way, I'm not intending to buy anything..." Don't think that'll go down too well.

Just thought it would be easier and far less painful to ask the you guys.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I'd be interested to hear what anyone thinks on this one too. I've been wondering what the Rega sound is supposed to be like.

matthewpiano

I've heard a fair bit of Rega kit and usually I've been impressed.

It is a completely different approach to Arcam. Arcam gear is, in my experience, very 'hi-fi'. It focuses on getting all the hi-fi bits like imaging (left to right AND front to back), instrumental timbre etc. right but it can be a bit languid and over polite.

Rega is more about the fun of listening to music. It somehow makes you forget about the hi-fi technicalities and concentrate on the music itself. It can even be slightly ragged at times - I once heard an Apollo/Brio 3/R3 set-up that did err in that direction, but the overall sound is so involving and alive (or 'live' perhaps?) that it doesn't seem to matter. That isn't to say that the imaging and timbral accuracy aren't there, because they are, but they aren't the main thing with Rega and I like that approach.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Considering I have to do a 30 mile round trip, in the suburbs, and ask them to rig up a Rega system to tell them: "By the way, I'm not intending to buy anything..." Don't think that'll go down too well.

Just thought it would be easier and far less painful to ask the you guys.
Hey, take it easy, I'm not a mind reader! I'd also point out a 30 mile round trip is nothing in the scheme of things, not when you've had to do 300km round trips in the past :)

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
matthewpiano said:

It is a completely different approach to Arcam. Arcam gear is, in my experience, very 'hi-fi'. It focuses on getting all the hi-fi bits like imaging (left to right AND front to back), instrumental timbre etc. right but it can be a bit languid and over polite.

Rega is more about the fun of listening to music. It somehow makes you forget about the hi-fi technicalities and concentrate on the music itself. It can even be slightly ragged at times - I once heard an Apollo/Brio 3/R3 set-up that did err in that direction, but the overall sound is so involving and alive (or 'live' perhaps?) that it doesn't seem to matter. That isn't to say that the imaging and timbral accuracy aren't there, because they are, but they aren't the main thing with Rega and I like that approach.
+1
I've only ever heard their turntables/tonearms: found them to give a very involving sound without trying to over-emphasize things like instrument-separation and image-depth to impress you.

Don’t get me wrong; it’s never an indistinct mush: far, far from it. In fact in my opinion it’s a very loveable sound indeed.

But some may say that a side-effect is that it’s not a sound which pushes itself to the front of a queue during an audition. Possibly be wary of that, because the system which most flaunts its technical merits in your face during an audition might be too much to live with in the long term (sounds like how you would assess the qualities of a prospective partner doesn’t it lol).

matthewpiano said:

From some of the posts I've read on here about Rega Saturn it's usually described as smooth and punchy - which ties in to your description.

Thanks

VinylRush

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I asked the same question on a couple of different forums before getting my Rega setup. If you google 'describe the rega sound to me' you will find the thread and some very interesting descriptions of the Rega sound.

To me I would describe the sound as rythmic, fluid, almost like water in that it washes over you and the speakers disappear from the room. Also its very balanced but with a slight emphasis on the mids and highs, but with the bass being very rythmic and agile, but not overpowering. Overall its a sound I enjoy very much.

My setup is a Rega DAC, Rega Brio-R, RS3 speaker and P3 24 turntable. The Rega synergy also helps :)

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone know how well Rega would pair up with Monitor Audio? I was thinking about trying Arcam to calm the treble, but it sounds like a Rega amp would do this and give a more exciting sort of sound?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Rega products are never the most faithful or accurate products out there, but put them all together and they just work. As mentioned, they're more fun than other systems, and I'd dare anyone to find a budget system that works together as well as the Rega does. Of all the budget systems I've ever heard, Rega ones always sound like they're producing enjoyable music rather than noise.

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Rega products are never the most faithful or accurate products out there, but put them all together and they just work. As mentioned, they're more fun than other systems, and I'd dare anyone to find a budget system that works together as well as the Rega does. Of all the budget systems I've ever heard, Rega ones always sound like they're producing enjoyable music rather than noise.

Ooo, that is a dare. Come to my place and I'll rig up my old Alpha 7, Rotel CD 975 and RS6s. You'll go away thinking "why! why why!";)

John Duncan

matthewpiano said:

+1

Quite possibly the biggest spontaneous grin I've ever had listening to equipment* was an Apollo/Mira combo turned up loud with some American rock. Wasn't nearly so good with some acoustic stuff, mind - bit vague and coloured tbh - though to be fair I didn't know the material at all, it may have been vague and coloured...

* see also - Linn Akurates playing 24/96; Arcam AVR400 (it may have been a grin of surprise)

roym90 said:
Does anyone know how well Rega would pair up with Monitor Audio? I was thinking about trying Arcam to calm the treble, but it sounds like a Rega amp would do this and give a more exciting sort of sound?

Can't possibly comment on the Rega, but do know that you can't beat absolute system synergy. I hate using the word "absolute" when describing hi-fi because it is so subjective. I'll defy anyone who would honestly say that Arcam/MAs can be beaten. The sonic chemistry is sublime.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

Ooo, that is a dare. Come to my place and I'll rig up my old Alpha 7, Rotel CD 975 and RS6s. You'll go away thinking "why! why why!";)

I stand firm!! :rofl:

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
plastic penguin said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:

I stand firm!! :rofl:

Spoilsport.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Can't possibly comment on the Rega, but do know that you can't beat absolute system synergy. I hate using the word "absolute" when describing hi-fi because it is so subjective. I'll defy anyone who would honestly say that Arcam/MAs can be beaten. The sonic chemistry is sublime.
I'll take that on. Try Naim/ Maggies, or Unison Research/Harbeth, or Krell/Martin Logan, or Leben anything.

altruistic.lemon said:
plastic penguin said:
I'll take that on. Try Naim/ Maggies, or Unison Research/Harbeth, or Krell/Martin Logan, or Leben anything.

6266137631_3858b48a4e_m.jpg

John Duncan said:
John Duncan said:
plastic penguin said:
I'll defy anyone who would honestly say that Arcam/MAs can be beaten.

Arcam/MAs can be beaten.

As can NaimUniti/PMC DB1i, obv

Mr. David Harvey was talking about Rega systems and defying anyone disprove that theory. I've given him an alternative that is as good as I've heard, including the Leema. Alas, he's refused...

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin said:
John Duncan said:
John Duncan said:
plastic penguin said:
I'll defy anyone who would honestly say that Arcam/MAs can be beaten.

Arcam/MAs can be beaten.

As can NaimUniti/PMC DB1i, obv

Mr. David Harvey was talking about Rega systems and defying anyone disprove that theory. I've given him an alternative that is as good as I've heard, including the Leema. Alas, he's refused...

if you hav'nt heard the rega set up how can you say you can beat it? i have heard it and would agree with david, it is very difficult indeed to better it pound 4 pound from new! although if buying second hand it may be possible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts