Rega Planar 3 with Rega Elys

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Recently while spinning various LP's & singles i've noticed a lot of distortion during playback, this becomes more extreme during louder passages.

I've made sure the stylus is dirt free, and was informed when i bought the deck (second hand from a reputable dealer only a coupls of months ago) that it had been fitted with a new Rega Elys cartridge.

The dealer set up the weight? and anti-skate before i left the shop so i can't imagine there being any problems there?

Having spun various discs, all in excellent condition i've found the prblem to be a constant.

I'm at a loss as to whether the stylus is damaged and needs replacing or whether it can simply be put down to pilot error.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jon

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
According to the instructions, the anti-skate slider should be set to match the downforce (so if the downforce is set to 1.8gms then the anti-skate will be on a tad less than 2.)

Traditionally (and in my own experience with every Rega deck I had owned for almost 28 years) it is best to set the anti-skate/bias slider to half of the downforce value (or even less).

Assuming your dealer set the downforce correctly (and even this can't be safely assumed any more!), try setting the anti-skate/bias to 1 or even 0.5 and see if the distortion ceases.

Is your turntable on a completely level surface? (Not just level to the eye, but spirit-level level* in both back/front direction and left/right direction.)

If not, fix it.

Here is the pdf instructions for the old Rega Planar 3 and it contains setting up tracking force/downforce and anti-skate/bias. Once you are happy that the downforce is correct, experiment with halving the anti-skate/bias as I suggested above.

*With a good sized spirit level from a trusted company like Stanley and not some little 'bubble level' or something picked up from a 'Pound Shop'.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I just remembered that there are some really ancient Rega Planar 3s still out there. (Pre 1983 when they changed to RB300 arms.)

So follow my suggestions if the arm is black and straight and the headshell and arm are all one piece. (Post 1983 with RB300 arms)

Ignore my suggestions if the arm is silver, 'S' shaped and has a detachable headshell. (Pre 1983 with Acos Lustre.)

Ensuring the supporting surface is level will benefit any turntable. So do that whatever version you've got.

chebby said:
I just remembered that there are some really ancient Rega Planar 3s still out there. (Pre 1983 when they changed to RB300 arms.)

Weren't those just called the Rega Planar back then? In any case, surely no dealer would sell a relic like that unless it was for restoration. I know the ones, with the Acos arms!

BTW, I would have written much the same about setting up, and if the OP has quick search there are several similar threads here. Make sure it isn't just the stylus clogged with fluff and gunge after two months.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
nopiano said:
Weren't those just called the Rega Planar back then?

There was a Planar 3 introduced in 1977 with an Acos developed Rega R200 arm and a lighter platter version with thinner plinth called Planar 2 (with the same R200 arm I think.)

Original Planar 2

The 'grandaddy' Rega Planet with actual Acos Lustre arm...

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3103/2700832551_ba5792c382.jpg

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3089/2700832545_9d7c42c05d.jpg

Thanks for setting the record straight there, chebby, I'd forgotten obviously. I'd almost forgotten the Planet too, and I do remember the awful Amstrad copy. Lord Sugar should be ashamed!

As this distortion tends to be more noticeable on louder passages I would doubt the stylus is 'grunged up'. A quick visual assessment would knock this one on the head. What would not be apparent is a duff cartridge. Check the anti-skate as suggested, and I agree that it should be set much lower than Rega recommend (at least mine was always set to 1 when I had a Planar 3).
Any way you can get the cartridge back to the dealer to let him run it on another turntable?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts