Rega Planar 3 Collected - One Question on Operation

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone who posted advice on Turntable and Cartridge threads over the last couple of days.

I have now collected my Rega Planar 3.....which as I hoped is in fantastic condition with no signs of wear and tear whatsoever (definately worth the £240.00 I ended up paying for it) and is complete with all original packing. I have found out the deck is a mid 1990's one so it is probably 15 years old at the most. Initial impressions are good.....in fact nay excellent!!!

However I do have a couple of questions which may sound a bit silly but here it goes.

When playing the LP do I keep the felt mat on the gas platter or remove it??

Also

when i move the tone arm across to the LP and and release the tone arm control lever should the tone arm slowly fall down on to the LP?? as it doesnt...does this mean that I need to set the weight at the end of the tone arm for my cartidge weight (the cartridge being a Rega Elys2)

I look forward to letting everyone know my impressions after a couple of days listening and revisting my vinyl collection.

KT66

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Jason36:
Hi Guys,

Thanks to everyone who posted advice on Turntable and Cartridge threads over the last couple of days.

I have now collected my Rega Planar 3.....which as I hoped is in fantastic condition with no signs of wear and tear whatsoever (definately worth the £240.00 I ended up paying for it) and is complete with all original packing. I have found out the deck is a mid 1990's one so it is probably 15 years old at the most. Initial impressions are good.....in fact nay excellent!!!

Sounds like the turntable hasn't been set up properly if at all, if you bought this from a dealer they should be shot!

Yes keep the mat on, but try both you may prefer one over the other.

changing this however will alter your VTA (vertical tracking angle, Google it), BUT P3s can't change the arm height, so go with the one that has the arm parallel with the surface of the record.

when i move the tone arm across to the LP and and release the tone arm control lever should the tone arm slowly fall down on to the LP?? as it doesnt...does this mean that I need to set the weight at the end of the tone arm for my cartidge weight (the cartridge being a Rega Elys2)

What did you set the VFT at (Vertical tracing Force) ie the weight of the stylus on the record? normally about 1.8 or 2.0 grammes?

I don't think you did.... SO

set the dial for VTF and Bias (little one on the side) to zero, then adjust the counterweight so the arm hangs in the air flat, ie parallel to the record. Then make sure both dials read zero, (without changing the arms downforce), then turn the counterweight until it reads 1.8, set the bias at 1.8 and off you go.

let us know if this works or not, or you may have a dodgy arm.

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Jason36:

Hi Guys,

However I do have a couple of questions which may sound a bit silly but here it goes.

Keep the felt mat on the glass platter for sure, I have the same turntable with the same cartridge.

Also

I don't think it's a problem but worth taking to a dealer and having it serviced. To balance the arm simply move the dial to zero on the adjustment and then balance the arm (so the arm floats) and then add 1.75g for the Elys 2. The great thing with the Elys 2 and the 3 point fixing is that it is very easy to align and you have no need to adjust the VTA with spacers.

I look forward to letting everyone know my impressions after a couple of days listening and revisting my vinyl collection.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
northernsoul:Jason36:

Hi Guys,

Keep the felt mat on the glass platter for sure, I have the same turntable with the same cartridge.

Also

I don't think it's a problem but worth taking to a dealer and having it serviced. To balance the arm simply move the dial to zero on the adjustment and then balance the arm (so the arm floats) and then add 1.75g for the Elys 2. The great thing with the Elys 2 and the 3 point fixing is that it is very easy to align and you have no need to adjust the VTA with spacers.

Thanks Guys,

Think I've got it spot on now thanks mate....took me a second or two to realise that the weight at the end of the tone arm actually slides up and down by gently turning it.

The arm now drops slowly down onto the record.

Initial impressions are amazing with some of my older vinyl...just reaquainting myself with Mr Dylan :) just a bit of audible crackle between tracks but other than that sounds amazing.

Is your turntable standard Northern Soul, or have you made any mods to it?

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
I agree, it's an excellent deck and I am glad I opted for this, even if it did cost me a little bit more
emotion-2.gif

So now I just have to dig my LP's out of storage and wait for the new ones to be delivered.

I just know it wont be long before I want to look at upgrading my amp and speakers
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

You have not mentioned which arm it is. If it's RB300(straight black tube)should you push the cueing lever too far down it jams the lowering platform piston. Try pushing lever to halfway position and let the spring do the rest. This assumes tracking weight, etc is all o.k. Also use alcohol solution to clean top rubber part of cue platfrom and underside of arm where it contacts the rubber. This helps stop the arm drifting outwards due to bias force.

The mat must be used. You could upgrade it to a Funk Acromat though for better sound, or even an Acroplat complete replacement platter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts