May 4, 2020
Visit site
Hi!

I'm planning to buy a turntable.
Which of these three is a better option:
1- Fluance RT85
2-Rega Planar 2
3- Project Debut Carbon Espirit SB.

The Fluance RT85 is the only one with Ortofon 2M Blue Cartridge, but maybe that's not the only thing that's matters..

Thanks!

Perhaps, with turntables in this price bracket, the quality of fitting cartridge is the only thing that matters.
Have never encountered a Fluance deck as I believe they are Canadian and have not seen a UK dealer.
They all should do a good job and, if they have all the functionality you require, then perhaps it comes do to the cartridge, looks, and cost as these decks seem to vary in price depending on where you are in the world.
Apart from this I might suggest checking they all have dust covers / lids of some form and perhaps the quality of the tonearm will have some effect on future upgrades.
Perhaps the electronic speed change of the Project appeals but I think it pretty much depends on how often you're going to want to play 45rpm LPs.

Project or Rega
visit or talk to your local hifi shop & give one a listen or ask to borrow one to try with your amp & speakers
Have you heard a Fluance?
If the OP happens to be Canadian the home-grown option might be the best bet. At least they fit a half-decent cartridge, how they do it with a cartridge costing double the usual 2M Red I don't know.
Well reviewed however I notice this deck is actually the top of their range......
I notice he hasn't returned......

myrrhman

Apr 24, 2020
Visit site
I love my Debut III, but probably the hardest thing to love about it is the tonearm, which is very lightweight insubstantial thing, and I'm sure would be the main limiting factor on cartridge upgrade options - I'd have to upgrade the counterweight in order to fit a 7.2g 2M series for example, and better just forget low compliance cartridges. I guess the 'Carbon' upgrade goes some way to curing this, and if it has a 2M Red fitted provides an easy upgrade path to the Blue.
However as AI says, having the 2M Blue already fitted on the Fluance is a serious consideration in terms of value, provided all other components are more or less up to Project / Rega standards.
On that subject, I always find it strange with WHF deck reviews in particular that the cartridge is sometimes given very little prominence, sometimes barely mentioned, when it is surely of crucial importance in SQ, literally at the business end of the deck. I know a decent arm, stable power supply, platter etc. all contribute, but sometimes I think their preference for Rega over Project is more of a Rega vs Ortofon cartridge preference.

Reactions: Papa Shark
I love my Debut III, but probably the hardest thing to love about it is the tonearm, which is very lightweight insubstantial thing, and I'm sure would be the main limiting factor on cartridge upgrade options - I'd have to upgrade the counterweight in order to fit a 7.2g 2M series for example, and better just forget low compliance cartridges. I guess the 'Carbon' upgrade goes some way to curing this, and if it has a 2M Red fitted provides an easy upgrade path to the Blue.
However as AI says, having the 2M Blue already fitted on the Fluance is a serious consideration in terms of value, provided all other components are more or less up to Project / Rega standards.
On that subject, I always find it strange with WHF deck reviews in particular that the cartridge is sometimes given very little prominence, sometimes barely mentioned, when it is surely of crucial importance in SQ, literally at the business end of the deck. I know a decent arm, stable power supply, platter etc. all contribute, but sometimes I think their preference for Rega over Project is more of a Rega vs Ortofon cartridge preference.
Possibly. The fact that a lot of decks, these days, come with prefitted cartridges that are normally entry level stuff.

iMark

The Fluance RT-85 seems great value for money with the Ortofon 2M Blue included. The website converts the price to €485.34 but doesn't do shipping to Europe. Very odd. But I would certainly consider the turntable if I lived in Canada.

The capabilities look very similar to our Pro-Ject 1Expression III Comfort. That cost €599 with a 2M Red, electronic 33/45 speed change but without a solid wood plinth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Al ears
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts