REGA PLANAR 2 PROBLEMS

pixelandsoda

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I just have a few issues with my freshly purchased second hand Rega Planar 2.

1. The tonearm keeps returning despite balancing it according to the manual.

2. The platter speed is too slow. It spins well without the glass platter, but slows down when the platter is on it.

3. Sound is very silent comparing to my previous turntable Rotel RP 855. I have Rotel RA05 amplifier with the internal phono stage.

I'm looking forward to your advice.

pixelandsoda said:
Hi Everyone,

I just have a few issues with my freshly purchased second hand Rega Planar 2.

1. The tonearm keeps returning despite balancing it according to the manual.

2. The platter speed is too slow. It spins well without the glass platter, but slows down when the platter is on it.

3. Sound is very silent comparing to my previous turntable Rotel RP 855. I have Rotel RA05 amplifier with the internal phono stage.

I'm looking forward to your advice.

It doesn't sound like a very good buy. Can you return it?

When you say tonearm keeps returning do you mean it swings outward if zero-balanced? Sounds like too much anti-skate applied. Get a proper tracking force balance to make sure correct weight is set, don't believe the tonearm settings.

However all this is pointless if it cannot rotate at the correct RPM.

If the turntable cannot spin a 33.3RPM with the glass platter on then you have a motor problem.

It is quieter due to the cartridge, presumably this is different to the one you had fitted to the RP 855

cjdavidson

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
Have you checked the the pulley is tight on the motor shaft?

It's a common problem on Planar 2 & 3 for the pulley to come loose.

You can reattach with a drop of super glue.

pixelandsoda

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean by the pulley being tight on the motor shaft? I've checked the pulley and it's quite flexible and when pressed by a finger it moves left and right and you can also push it slighty down.

Thanks,

pixelandsoda

Aug 18, 2014
Visit site
I thought it will be a good buy as it has never been used.

That's right- the tonearm swings outwards if zero-balanced even with zero antiskating applied.

pixelandsoda said:
What do you mean by the pulley being tight on the motor shaft? I've checked the pulley and it's quite flexible and when pressed by a finger it moves left and right and you can also push it slighty down.

Thanks,

He means that the pulley is not properly tightened on the shaft so when playing with the platter in place it is slipping slightly. Take it to a dealer and get it checked out or send it back to who you got it from.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts