NAD 533 (Rega Planar 2) vs Pioneer PL12D

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
I impulse bought a NAD 533 (rebadged Rega Planar 2) turntable the other day from a local second hand shop for £40 - which I thought at the time was a pretty good deal given it was tested and working, in really good nick and has a Goldring Elektra cart on it (£100 cart) and a stylus that doesn’t look knackered. Will give it a new belt of course and an “oil change” (although it runs very nicely as is). Much cheaper than a Planar 2 on the bay that’s for sure.

I bought it as an upgrade from my Pioneer PL12D (with a Shure M75ED cart) but now I’m wondering if it really is an upgrade. Many more parts available for it (and I do tend to enjoy modifying my Hi-Fi gear) but does anyone have any experience which I would be better sticking with performance wise?

Some say the PL12D will walk all over a Planar 3, others that it’s just an overrated budget deck.

If it seems like comparing apples to oranges then it’s just comparing the two acclaimed turntables I’ve so far been able to buy very cheaply :D

I had a PL12D back in the day. It offered a taste of the Thorens/SME I desired but couldn't afford! With the same Shure that you have it was about at its best, especially with the outrigger weight removed.

I'd be wary of one after forty years though, and given how easy the Rega is to get spares and mods for, that would be where I'd put my money and efforts.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input chaps. Looks like sticking with the NAD in my main Hi-Fi then, the other will be on duty in the living room plugged into a Bose Wave radio (I know, but it’s really quite nice for the £50 I paid for it)

Lovely example of a PL12D that runs silent as the grave and all the rubber parts are still like new. Looks like it’s never been used. Would hate to part with it but definitely agree about parts availability etc :(

britain4 said:
Thanks for the input chaps. Looks like sticking with the NAD in my main Hi-Fi then, the other will be on duty in the living room plugged into a Bose Wave radio (I know, but it’s really quite nice for the £50 I paid for it)

Lovely example of a PL12D that runs silent as the grave and all the rubber parts are still like new. Looks like it’s never been used. Would hate to part with it but definitely agree about parts availability etc :(

I'd agree with others about your NAD and it is worth keeping as your prime player. I would add one thing though and that is, as it was so much of a bargain, do yourself a favour and buy a replacement stylus for that cartridge. I know you said it looks OK but you have no idea of how old it is or its history. You need a good eye-loupe to do a really good examination and if it is not really good it's one easy way to ruin your record collection.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
So that's 3 votes for the NAD and none for the Pioneer, pretty clear so far!

I had thought that about the stylus but thought I might get away with just cleaning it - is the sound an accurate indicator of what sort of condition it might be in as I could try it out on something less important to start with? A quick google has come up with some cheaper OEM styli that might be easier to stomach than spending nearly double on just a stylus than I paid for the rest of the turntable!

britain4 said:

I had thought that about the stylus but thought I might get away with just cleaning it - is the sound an accurate indicator of what sort of condition it might be in as I could try it out on something less important to start with? A quick google has come up with some cheaper OEM styli that might be easier to stomach than spending nearly double on just a stylus than I paid for the rest of the turntable!

A conundrum eh? Do you want a £40 turntable that can play, and possibly ruin, your records or do you want a really decent system with a new stylus?

It's up to you I guess. And the sound alone is not an accurate indicator of stylus wear especially when you have no reference point for that sound.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
britain4 said:

A conundrum eh? Do you want a £40 turntable that can play, and possibly ruin, your records or do you want a really decent system with a new stylus?

It's up to you I guess. And the sound alone is not an accurate indicator of stylus wear especially when you have no reference point for that sound.

When you put it like that... maybe it’s time to put a new stylus on the shopping list!

To be quite honest I haven’t actually listened to either of them in my current setup... the Pioneer definitely needs a new stylus and the NAD still needs a service (and a new stylus as well now too). So now I know where to focus my attention first, once they’re both fixed up I will definitely audition both. The fact that you can go much further with mods on the Rega tables is quite enticing...

britain4 said:
Al ears said:
britain4 said:

When you put it like that... maybe it’s time to put a new stylus on the shopping list!

To be quite honest I haven’t actually listened to either of them in my current setup... the Pioneer definitely needs a new stylus and the NAD still needs a service (and a new stylus as well now too). So now I know where to focus my attention first, once they’re both fixed up I will definitely audition both. The fact that you can go much further with mods on the Rega tables is quite enticing...

I wouldn't go too far with any Rega mods. Nothing is going to upgrade the sound quality more than a new cartridge, sorry to disillusion you. ;-)

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
britain4 said:
Al ears said:
britain4 said:

I wouldn't go too far with any Rega mods. Nothing is going to upgrade the sound quality more than a new cartridge, sorry to disillusion you. ;-)

No I don’t plan on going too far, just simple (inexpensive) things. Still more out there than for the PL12D.

Subplatter is nice and round too (apparently they don’t always stay that way?) so new stylus and oil/bearing and it should be good to go.

New stylus is on the way!

britain4 said:
Al ears said:
britain4 said:
Al ears said:
britain4 said:

No I don’t plan on going too far, just simple (inexpensive) things. Still more out there than for the PL12D.

Subplatter is nice and round too (apparently they don’t always stay that way?) so new stylus and oil/bearing and it should be good to go.

New stylus is on the way!

Excellent decision. Whilst you may have had a real bargain in it's original state you may have had a record-killer. For the sake of the price of 3 new LPs I am sure you will have a known-good cartridge that will last a good while and there is little chance of it damaging valuable vinyl. Ensure correct downforce is being applied.

As you say cleaning out any hardened oil and replacing it with fresh is very worthwhile and doesn't cost the earth. I might also recommend a new belt in case the old one is a little stretched but don't bother with the super-duper white ones, the originals are perfectly adequate.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
Excellent decision. Whilst you may have had a real bargain in it's original state you may have had a record-killer. For the sake of the price of 3 new LPs I am sure you will have a known-good cartridge that will last a good while and there is little chance of it damaging valuable vinyl. Ensure correct downforce is being applied.

As you say cleaning out any hardened oil and replacing it with fresh is very worthwhile and doesn't cost the earth. I might also recommend a new belt in case the old one is a little stretched but don't bother with the super-duper white ones, the originals are perfectly adequate.

Indeed. Glad I splashed out on it now, wouldn’t have fancied taking any chances with it.

Yup an oil change did wonders for my PL12’s running (although I still haven’t been able to test it with any actual records yet). It does need a new belt, it’s a bit baggy especially on the upper position so I’ve got one of those coming along with a fancy ceramic bearing which came cheap as a package so why not.

Planning on keeping it simple with this table, (although I’ve always fancied trying rewiring a tonearm) - but the SRM Tech “ultimate enhancement kit” does look awfully enticing, it’s £230 but comes with an isolation base and apparently improved platter (MDF one on the NAD) and should bring most of the benefit of the £130 24v motor kit...

britain4 said:
Al ears said:

Indeed. Glad I splashed out on it now, wouldn’t have fancied taking any chances with it.

Yup an oil change did wonders for my PL12’s running (although I still haven’t been able to test it with any actual records yet). It does need a new belt, it’s a bit baggy especially on the upper position so I’ve got one of those coming along with a fancy ceramic bearing which came cheap as a package so why not.

Planning on keeping it simple with this table, (although I’ve always fancied trying rewiring a tonearm) - but the SRM Tech “ultimate enhancement kit” does look awfully enticing, it’s £230 but comes with an isolation base and apparently improved platter (MDF one on the NAD) and should bring most of the benefit of the £130 24v motor kit...

Forgot it had an MDF platter. Something to look at replacing I guess.

The best isolation device is a wall-shelf.... ;-)

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
britain4 said:
Al ears said:

Forgot it had an MDF platter. Something to look at replacing I guess.

The best isolation device is a wall-shelf.... ;-)

Yeah it just seems a bit rudimentary... not quite sure why. Haha yes agreed but I would have to get inventive to achieve that in my loft!

Did the reservoir caps on my A400 today (only part that’s arrived so far, same size but “audio grade” and not 25 years old) - certainly lots more bass now but it could be tighter. Maybe just a case of getting used to it, breaking the caps in or maybe the many other mods on my to do list will take care of it. Need that sorting before I start any mods on the TT.

britain4 said:
Al ears said:

I almost mentioned SRM above, but as I've only bought basic bits before I cannot recommend their upgrades from experience. I think I read that the owner is a Michell family member (hence the M), and therefore probably has good engineering genes. Anyway, they've been around a while, so not a risky purchase, though I'd try an item at a time.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
britain4 said:
Al ears said:

I almost mentioned SRM above, but as I've only bought basic bits before I cannot recommend their upgrades from experience. I think I read that the owner is a Michell family member (hence the M), and therefore probably has good engineering genes. Anyway, they've been around a while, so not a risky purchase, though I'd try an item at a time.

Good to know thanks. I’ve read good results from their subplatter damping kit but that’s about it. I’m seriously tempted but then again £230 is a fair chunk of cash towards a new TT. Would be nice to know how much you’d have to spend off the shelf to better it with the kit and maybe a tonearm rewire.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Well it’s all set up now with the new stylus, new belt, changed the oil, fitted ceramic bearing, and I modded the phono stage of the Pioneer too (Silmic II coupling caps, uprated Panasonic FM PSU caps, OPA2132 Op-Amp, some other bits I can’t remember) and wow this setup really sings now! Couldn’t be happier for the price of a dinner out :D thanks for the advice everyone!

Not a huge fan of the felt platter mat, tried it with no mat (for a moment) and preferred it so I think I may get an acrylic one or similar.

The phono stage of the Pioneer as standard really is as bad as they say it is but now I couldn’t be happier with it!

britain4 said:
Well it’s all set up now with the new stylus, new belt, changed the oil, fitted ceramic bearing, and I modded the phono stage of the Pioneer too (Silmic II coupling caps, uprated Panasonic FM PSU caps, OPA2132 Op-Amp, some other bits I can’t remember) and wow this setup really sings now! Couldn’t be happier for the price of a dinner out :D thanks for the advice everyone!

Not a huge fan of the felt platter mat, tried it with no mat (for a moment) and preferred it so I think I may get an acrylic one or similar.

The phono stage of the Pioneer as standard really is as bad as they say it is but now I couldn’t be happier with it!

Glad you are enjoying it,. Who said the phono stage was bad? Do you mean because of it's age? I ran one from New and the phono stage was pretty good for the amps of it's time beaten only by Marantz in my opinion.

britain4

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
britain4 said:

Glad you are enjoying it,. Who said the phono stage was bad? Do you mean because of it's age? I ran one from New and the phono stage was pretty good for the amps of it's time beaten only by Marantz in my opinion.

Thanks. For the money it will do me just fine. No, when I was reading up on the amp the general forum concensus seemed to be it wasn’t really up to much - although perhaps the caps in mine were worn out or something, it almost sounded broken in comparison to how it does now.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts