Kasperv

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
Hi there,

I'm looking for a mid-range priced turntable, and it won't be a surprise if i'm considering the Audio-Technica AT-LPW50PB turntable besides the Rega Planar 2. As noted in the review of the Audio-Technica AT-LPW50PB, this turntable is placed between the Rega Planar 1 and the Rega Planar 3. This means it would be placed right beside the Rega Planar 2. How will those two turntables perform to each other? Especially in terms of sound quality? Also when the Audio-Technica would be upgradet with a better element, like the AT-VM95EN/H. With this upgrade the price will be quite the same as the Planer 2.

Thank you in advance.

With kinds regards,
Kasper

Kasperv

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
As i think the two are so close together, i hoped somebody has compared them. The only thing for me that really matters is the sound quality. I have a amp with phono, so i don't need an build-in one. That makes me also feel like the AT is cheaper overall, because that one indeed will come with an preamp and the Rega doesn't. So they have spend more on the components they have used, you would say...?

As stated if you don't need an inbuilt phono stage then don't buy the Audio Technica
You are correct in that Rega has spent the money where it is needed.
Sound quality is always going to be determined by the quality of the cartridge fitted so it is always a good idea to upgrade this at the earliest opportunity or better still buy a turntable without a cheap cartridge fitted.. . If you can actually do that any more, or buy a second-hand Planar 3

Last edited:
Reactions: Gray

Gray

Last edited by a moderator:

Kasperv

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
As stated if you don't need an inbuilt phono stage then don't buy the Audio Technica
You are correct in that Rega has spent the money where it is needed.
Sound quality is always going to be determined by the quality of the cartridge fitted so it is always a good idea to upgrade this at the earliest opportunity or better still buy a turntable without a cheap cartridge fitted.. . If you can actually do that any more, or buy a second-hand Planar 3
I do agree with you, but there is no reasonably priced second-hand Planar 3 in my country available (I live in The Netherlands). On the other hand, the Planar 2 has a $50,- cartridge fitted, so i think it's not a big waste of money to upgrade it for a better one. So with that in mind, I think the best option is to go for a Planer 2, as the AT is more expensive than needed, but I think quite on the same level on sound quality as the Planar 2...?

I also checked out the Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo, but for the same price I prefer the Planer 2.

Reactions: Al ears
If we are talking about a shoot-out on sound only then the Rega should be better, if only due the superior one-piece arm. But Audio Technica has a great history of audio manufacture, especially their cartridges. Should you be likely to want to swap cartridges then the detachable headshell on the AT is much more convenient.

As already mentioned, with the AT you would be buying a phono stage that you don’t need, so it probably comes down to pricing.

Kasperv

Aug 8, 2022
Visit site
Well that is some good advice. As i don't think i will swap cartridges often, maybe just an upgrade to the standard cartridge the Planer 2 will come with, so the Planer will be one to pick.

I would love to go for the Planer 3, but with almost twice the price of the Planer 2, the 2 would be it for me.

Thanks all!

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
Well that is some good advice. As i don't think i will swap cartridges often, maybe just an upgrade to the standard cartridge the Planer 2 will come with, so the Planer will be one to pick.

I would love to go for the Planer 3, but with almost twice the price of the Planer 2, the 2 would be it for me.

Thanks all!
You may very well like the Planar 2 and the pre-fitted cartridge, who knows?

Bocciu

Jul 20, 2023
Visit site
hello Kasperv,
since I am at the same point you were last year, I can have a RP2 for 430 euro or an
AT-LPW50PB for 360 euro both of them brand new and shipped home.
Can I know what you did finally decide and are you happy of your decision?

TRENDING THREADS