Rega Planar 1 or Plus?

skd-vinyl

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Hey everyone :)

I'm about to enter in this world. So much to read yet. But I'm having much fun already,

So, which brings me to this dilema, on a tight budget.

- Buy Rega Planar 1 (269 € - local price) and Bookshelf speakers with preamp
or
- Buy Rega Planar 1 plus (369€ - local price) and Bookshelf speakers without preamp

This may sound stupid or incorrect (please correct me), on a budget like this, should I relly the sound quality with the preamp included in turntable, or let that job to the speaker included amp?

Please forgive me some naiveness,
Thanks

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.
Unless you intend to get powered speakers you are goint to need an integrated amplifier as well.
I think you are getting the term preamp and amplifier confused.
I mean if you get speakers with an inbuilt amplifer you are going to need to get the Planar 1 Plus.
Do you already own any LP's?

DCarmi

Might be worth looking at the second hand market for an amplifier. There are loads around at reasonable prices.
That and an RP1 would give scope for some fairly reasonable speakers and potentially an upgrade path in future.

skd-vinyl

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Welcome to the forum.
Unless you intend to get powered speakers you are goint to need an integrated amplifier as well.
I think you are getting the term preamp and amplifier confused.
I mean if you get speakers with an inbuilt amplifer you are going to need to get the Planar 1 Plus.
Do you already own any LP's?
Thanks for the welcoming.
Yes, that might be the case, confusing preamp and amplifier.
Because I though that since the Planar 1 Plus has a built-in preamp phono I wouldn't need a speaker with that feature.
Use cases:
A. Planar 1 plus & Audioengine A5 - work.
B. Planar 1 & Audioengine A5 - won't work, need separate preamp
C. Planar 1 & Klipsch R51-PM - work

My point (maybe don't make sense), is it better to relly on Planar 1 plus w/ preamp and look for a speaker without it, or go for a Planar 1 (or similar) and look for a speaker with built-in preamp. I donn't know how far this limit the choices, thats my concern.

Yes, I already own some LP, from family heritage :)

In my opinion it is not a good idea to buy a turntable that has an inbuilt phono preamp if you intend buying an amplifier that already has this feature installed.
Ahh You said this in another thread. It may be the same here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcoming.
Yes, that might be the case, confusing preamp and amplifier.
Because I though that since the Planar 1 Plus has a built-in preamp phono I wouldn't need a speaker with that feature.
Use cases:
A. Planar 1 plus & Audioengine A5 - work.
B. Planar 1 & Audioengine A5 - won't work, need separate preamp
C. Planar 1 & Klipsch R51-PM - work

My point (maybe don't make sense), is it better to relly on Planar 1 plus w/ preamp and look for a speaker without it, or go for a Planar 1 (or similar) and look for a speaker with built-in preamp. I donn't know how far this limit the choices, thats my concern.

Yes, I already own some LP, from family heritage :)

Ahh You said this in another thread. It may be the same here.
No, you are still confused. The only pairing in your list above that will work is A.
for a system to work you need a turntable, a phono preamplifier, and an amplifier.
..........Apologies, just confused the Klipisch R51 speakers, you are right the PM version is powered..... Ignore my comments above.

I guess, if it was my money, it would be the Klipsch pairing I'd be buying...

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts