Rega P5 new cartridge

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andro78

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I start looking around for the metal subplatter you mentioned. When dropped into this site, I just saw the note at the bottom of the screen. :)

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-6970-deep-groove-rega-replacement-subplatter-kit.aspx

I am thinking, that it may be to hard work for the motor. The TT's mentioned as not compatible all have glass or ceramic platters that are way heavier than the wooden ones. So it could be, that Rega cant garanty that the motor wont suffer over time. I dont know how much the metal subplatter weighs. So its just a guess. :)

Andro

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Andro78 said:
I start looking around for the metal subplatter you mentioned. When dropped into this site, I just saw the note at the bottom of the screen. :)

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-6970-deep-groove-rega-replacement-subplatter-kit.aspx

I am thinking, that it may be to hard work for the motor. The TT's mentioned as not compatible all have glass or ceramic platters that are way heavier than the wooden ones. So it could be, that Rega cant garanty that the motor wont suffer over time. I dont know how much the metal subplatter weighs. So its just a guess. :)

Andro

Something not right there???:? I have this one, no problems:

http://www.isokinetik.co.uk/

Wooden platter? . . . the P5 has a 12mm glass platter as standard . . . Some early ones might have been 10mm glass? . . .

The metal the 'subs' are made from is aluminium or an aluminium alloy?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
??????????????? . . . If you are saying you have a 'wood platter' on your TT . . . are you sure it is a P5 . . . ?????????

CJSF

Andro78

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
CJSF, you misunderstood me. I have 15mm glasplatter. But I suggested that the metalsubplatter may be intended for woodenplatter TT's. As stated in the linked I sent. The metalsubplatter is not to be used with P5 and up. Common for these TT's is, that they all have heavy platters. Dont know how long you have been using it and how heavy the metal subplatter is. But maybe the heavier load will wear more on the motor over time, then the light plastic one will. Who knows...

Maybe Rega is just playing is safe. So they wont be responsible should one be so unlucky and get a defect on the motor due to overload. :)

But for 199$, it sure is an affordable upgrade.

Andro

Andro78

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
BTW CJSF, do you have any experience with the ISOTone Rega listed in the link you sent? Do you know if it is a better sounding cable then the standard used on the P5. It sounds like an interesting upgrade along with the metal subplatter. Dont know if there will be any significant change. The cable is only 1.2m. Not sure if the shielding will have an effect on so short lengths?

Andro

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
First, the metal (aluminium) sub platter will have no significant extra load on the motor IMHO, Rega style red hearing if thats where you got the info from? Incidently, the sub I sugested is the correct size for 33.3rpm, the Rega sub is a tad larger, giving a speed closer to 34rpm. I understand, deliberate on Regas part to induce a 'lively sound' :dance: . . . fool some of the people some of the time . . . . . . . . . . but?????

Second, the rewire 'kit 1' you refer to uses silver plated copper wire . . . I have no experience of the kit because I have tried silver/copper elsewhere. To my ears it produces a bright sound, killing the organic analogue voicing I prefer. Personal opinion of course

Three, I've been using the Sub-platter upgrade for 3 or 4 months with no problems, the company who make my sub have been doing so for a number of years to good effect.

CJSF

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
It would be interesting to find any Rega users with an excellent sense of pitch to comment on this speed issue.

Matthewpiano has a Rega RP3 + Elys. He is a musician, enjoys listening to classical piano music and works with pianos for a living. (Solo piano music is supposed to be notorious for showing up speed defects.)

I have seen complaints of 'fast' Regas where a new belt cured the problem. (A loose belt 'sits' on the bottom of the 'V' groove on the pulley and will therefore occupy a slightly larger diameter than a tauter belt and drive the platter faster..)

An RP3 (like Matthew'is) not old enough to suffer from an an older/looser belt yet.

Just a thought.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
chebby said:
It would be interesting to find any Rega users with an excellent sense of pitch to comment on this speed issue.

Matthewpiano has a Rega RP3 + Elys. He is a musician, enjoys listening to classical piano music and works with pianos for a living. (Solo piano music is supposed to be notorious for showing up speed defects.)

I have seen complaints of 'fast' Regas where a new belt cured the problem. (A loose belt 'sits' on the bottom of the 'V' groove on the pulley and will therefore occupy a slightly larger diameter than a tauter belt and drive the platter faster..)

An RP3 (like Matthew'is) not old enough to suffer from an an older/looser belt yet.

Just a thought.

The slightly faster speed of the Rega is a well known fact Chebby. I have measured the subs, it did not need a micrometre to determine there was a difference, I used a simple veneer gauge. Unfortunately I can’t remember the exact discrepancy??? . . . but I seem to recall it might be 0.3 of a mm????

CJSF

Andro78

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
I checked out the link you sent. It seems you comment on one subplatter, and I on another. The one you mention seems to be of a different material. It is indeed made for P5 aswell. It is a really nice website. Unfortunately it dosent seem like they send to locations outside UK. So trying to find a site that does.

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
the groove tracer and isokinetic subplater are fine on the P5 and 25, for the P5 you need to check clearance for acrylic platters as they can foul on the wooden plinth surround. I used a groove tracer on a P25. The speed did not change, as the 25 ran as it should. It did however lower the noise floor.

For carts, have you heard the Dynavector 20x or 20x2, from my experience with them they probably do all you are looking for, especially the low output varient of you phono stage is up to the job.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts