Rega P3 24

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All

Finally got my Rega P3 24 very happy with it. I use a pro-ject platter mat (slip mat) which is thinner than the Rega so VTA seems level and so far there is no need for any VTA adjusters.

I have read a lot about groovetracer sub platters has anyone got one or had one and do they or the ISO GT sub platter make that mush difference considering the price.

Thanks

Gtncj

Also thanks WHFI as I now have a reasonable hifi due to your reviews and yours and forum members advice Merry Christmas and a HIFI New year.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
You might want to try these first for 15 quid (SRM/Tech sub-platter damping kit) - they just slot into the existing sub-platter without any tools or skills required.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330653158177

Recommended elsewhere on this forum. I've just fitted them on my P3-24 and looking forward to hearing how they perform this weekend.

They work, I've been using them for a couple of weeks, however, I also use an acrylic platter and found, for me, the sound was over damped with 12 section in place. I suspect with the standard glass platter the full 12 sections may be OK? The acrylic platter is a revelation in its self!!!

If the TT voice is a bit dark, simply remove 2 sections (oposing sides) then try removing 4 sections, decide how you prefer it; fully damped, 2 or 4 sections removed.

I'm a bit of a tweaker and perfectionist so I have the ISOsub GT2 on order, try or return. See if it works any better . . . with the ISOsub, you do get a better bearing as well. Another point, the plastic Rega sub-p is fractionally under size, therefore rotates a tad faster, the ISOsub is the correct size to rotate at 33.1/3, the corrected speed alone is supposed to make the sound smoother and one would assume give accurate pitch?, but maybe loose some attack? Crossing 't's' and dotting 'i's'? . . . watch this space?

Also see: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/turntables-and-lps/the-rega-sound

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
By the way 'Gtncj', I fitted the Rega upgrade 'white drive belt', big improvement . . . made my TT-PSU redundant! the white belt worked better IMHO . . . :? Although I do use the SRM 20mm acrylic platter . . . ?

CJSF

A

Anonymous

To be honest CJSF although you have a P5 compared to my P3 24 I have been reading your opinions with great interest.

I had a Pro-ject Debut 3 with the 2M Red and find that the Debut had a more upfront sound (louder vocals) but the P3 24 sound better and picks up a lot more detail and is more balanced. I do plan to get a White belt, Will order it next week, But the TT PSU came free as it does with coloured P3 24. I'm just looking for cheap opions to improve the sound without going over board not saying that I am unhappy with the sound, But if it can be improved on a budget i'll will try it.

Can't wait to read your update on the ISO sub platter.

KR Gtncj.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Hopefully not going too much off-thread but I've read reviews which say that changing the counterweight to an Origin Live counterweight produces more improvement in sound than the Iso sub platter?

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Gtncj said:
To be honest CJSF although you have a P5 compared to my P3 24 I have been reading your opinions with great interest.

I had a Pro-ject Debut 3 with the 2M Red and find that the Debut had a more upfront sound (louder vocals) but the P3 24 sound better and picks up a lot more detail and is more balanced. I do plan to get a White belt, Will order it next week, But the TT PSU came free as it does with coloured P3 24. I'm just looking for cheap opions to improve the sound without going over board not saying that I am unhappy with the sound, But if it can be improved on a budget i'll will try it.

Can't wait to read your update on the ISO sub platter.

KR Gtncj.

Free-be TT/PSU, that was a good deal. Keeping costs low, before the ISOsub, I thought my spend pro rata to improvements was low/good . . . ?

'White belt' . . . I only speak in my experience??? the 'white belt' and the TT/PSU seemed to work against each other, muddied the sound? Hazel said the same, but then I had a hum issue, that might have been the problem? I went for £150 refund 8)

The next step I would go for is the ISOweight, available on fleBay for £39.00, item number 170310194218 . . . It does what it says on the tin . . . improves tracking, tided up the high frequencies very nicely, a bit more edge on the base end. Set the tracking balance, listen then back it off, listen back off . . . etc. there is a sweet spot, past which it still tracks but the SQ starts to get wispy, use a simple recording, maybe solo female voice and minimal instruments, to much crash, bang, you cant hear whats going on!

You are going to have to come to terms with an 'acrylic platter' at some time, SRM's 20mm offering at £75 is not bad value, but there maybe an issue with it working with the ISOsub, hence, sale or return.

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DandyCobalt said:
Hopefully not going too much off-thread but I've read reviews which say that changing the counterweight to an Origin Live counterweight produces more improvement in sound than the Iso sub platter?

I use the ISOweight, and yes Dandy, it is a good upgrade, better that the ISOsub? I look at things as a progressive whole, the 'sum of the parts' and all that. Do the upgrades right and there is a progression of improvement. Changes in isolation some are better than others . . . but there is a '?' in my mind over the ISOsub v tuned/damped original? hence sale or return arrangement.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts