Rega Mira 3 or Creek Evo 2 Amplifier?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Ric969:plastic penguin:Ric969:Cold Roses:

Ric - don't know if you went with the Creek in the end, but it looks like Rega are now running a promotion on both the Brio 3 (£248) and Mira 3 (£448). I don't think the promo has been publicised that widely yet (I happened to notice it online yesterday), though it's worth checking with your nearest Rega dealer. At this price, they're a steal!

Are Rega working on updates to both amps and so looking to clear the existing stock - anyone know anything about this?

Hi, I had to wait until at least payday (today) before I could get the new amp so a couple of days ago I put my NAD on e-Bay and it sold yesterday. Whilst I was on e-Bay I looked for Rega Mira amps hoping to get a good price for one in good condition and I saw that a few online dealers were selling the Mira new for £448 that's £150 off the retail price so my focus switched from the Creek to the Rega. It looks like I'll be going for the Rega at that price
emotion-5.gif

Oooh, it's a little high risk strategy - no doubt the Rega is fabulous amp but not confident when it comes matching with RS6 speakers and/or idle levels. The Creek, on the other hand, is superb with MAs and very low volumes. For a few quid more, if you are risking without auditioning, then this one is better bet - unless someone knows about the synergy issue.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/audio-emotion-ltd

Yes, I saw the Creek Evo 2 on e-Bay, great price. I was leaning towards the Creek to begin with but even before the Rega Mira was reduced I started drifting back towards the Rega again, the price drop swung it. I've bought the Mira now and it's going to look great with the Apollo and even if it doesn't match up too well with the Monitor Audio speakers ( I think it will after reading a lot of comments over the last few days) then I'll eventually get some Rega speakers like the R3. I've decided to go with a one make separates system after years of mixing and matching and trying to get them to gel.

To be honest, after reading all the good comments about the Creek Evo, I was regretting going for the Rega Apollo and wishing I'd gone for the Creek Evo2 CD player and amp combination which would have been great with ther Rs6 speakers, but as I did have the Apollo, I decided to go with the Rega amp.

I'll let you know how the Rega pairing match up with the Monitor Audios when it arrives in the next few days
emotion-5.gif

A quick update to let you know how I got on.

I've had the Rega Mira 3 a couple of weeks and it's everything I was looking for, lovely sound and not harsh at all at any volume. The Rega Apollo and Rega Mira 3 pairing sounded pretty good through the Monitor Audio Rs6 speakers, much better than the NAD did through them and there was also no longer any need to rush over to turn down the volume like with the NAD with the overwhelming bass on some songs. Although the sound was good, I still had to find out what an all Rega set up would be like and I knew the Rega / Monitor Audio set up would only be temporary. I decided to put the Monitor Audios on e-Bay and they sold the same day so I promptly ordered a pair of Rega RS3 in cherry. They arrived yesterday evening and I've been going through my CDs all day and thoroughly enjoying my lovely new small floorstanders. My only reservation was that my wife might not like the appearance of the Rega speakers as she thought I was stupid getting rid of the Monitor Audios but to my surprise she prefers the Regas so it's a win-win situation
emotion-2.gif

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
Glad to hear that you're enjoying the new set up!

Out of interest, are you running the RS3's with the side ports firing inwards or outwards?

As I just posted in another thread, I started off with the RS3's side ports firing out, as this had provided the best balance with my previous amp, the Brio3. When I switched to the Mira, I found that I much preferred the sound with the ports firing inwards and so switched them around. I would actually say this had a far greater impact on the overall sound than any component change I've made. I know there have been various threads discussing how best to position the RS3s and it's no doubt a matter of personal taste (and listening environment). Ultimately, they're great little speakers either way.

A

Anonymous

I've got the RS3's side ports facing out due to the fact that they're either side of a chimney breast so I'd have to pull them out more into the room or put the speakers further apart to have them facing in, I'll have to try it.

I'm currently using Atlas equator II but looking at your signature, I might also get a Rega couple interconnect
emotion-5.gif

Cold Roses

Sep 23, 2009
Visit site
It's definitely well worth experimenting with the positioning, even if only to satisfy your own (and my
emotion-5.gif
) curiosity. You may well find you prefer the existing set up in any event (even without taking the chimney breast/aesthetics into account). Anyway, it's always interesting to hear what other people, running essentially the same set up, think about their systems. So, do let me know how you get on?

By the way, as with most speakers, I found that the RS3s got even better after a little running-in.

As to the interconnects, I couldn't resist the lure of going for the Couple; particularly, after having read WHF's comments in their one-system Rega review. Though, to be honest, I cannot now recall whether the "improvement" in sound was significant. Like you, I moved from the Atlas Equator IIs, which I still have in my second system. If I get the chance over the weekend, I may switch back and do an A/B test. Will let you know my thoughts.

A

Anonymous

I've just swapped the speakers over so the side drivers were facing in, the speakers were a lot wider apart but I couldn't tell a great difference in the sound. After hearing a few songs I decided that as I couldn't decide if the sound was any better or worse I chose to put them back the way they were only because they looked a bit better in the position they'd been since last night
emotion-42.gif

At least I've tried it now and I'm happy with the drivers out if only for the way they look
emotion-1.gif

I think the couple will be next on my list to try.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts